SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC Series... Not on CR: Good Bets

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 04:36 PM
NyanaDream
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC Series... Not on CR: Good Bets

Just doing a little used car research on Consumer Reports. For used cars, the Lexus SC series was not given a good word.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...-worst-406.htm

Anyone have any documented reviews by quality sources on the sc300? It would help my choice on the car. I am looking for reliability and dependability for a daily driver college student
Old 03-27-06, 04:40 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are common problems on Sc3 and Sc4s... But just minors and once you have doe the maintainence, they are very very reliable cars to own...
I personally have had 5 SC before...
Old 03-27-06, 04:42 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 284 Likes on 209 Posts

About these lists
The lists are compiled from overall reliability data covering 1998-2005 models with better-than-average or much-worse-than-average reliability. CR Good Bets and CR Bad Bets include only the models for which we have sufficient data for at least three model years. Models that were brand new in 2004 or 2005 do not appear. Problems with the engine, engine cooling, transmission, and drive system were weighted more heavily than other problems.
They must not have sufficient data, the SC was stopped in 2000, thats 3 years only worth of data, and the production numbers for 98-99-00 were not all that high (i don't think).
Old 03-27-06, 05:26 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

oh well everyother lexus made it on there, btw anyone notice the best buys are almost all imports and the worst ones are all domestic
lol
Old 03-27-06, 05:40 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Post hah

haha yes very true... and i agree with the insufficient testing of the sc because if you look on the list not a single lexus car is on the bad list (nor toyota for that matter) so i doubt our sc's would be on the bad list^.^

I LOVE TOYOTA ~~!

oh and that states that those are added cars for this year, that isn't the complete list

Last edited by 21ce; 03-27-06 at 05:42 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-27-06, 05:54 PM
NyanaDream
Driver School Candidate

Why would it not have been tested? ...it received countless awards from magazines and reports, though not necessarily on dependability and reliability. I'm sure there is something on their about the SCx if I had access to membership content.

I'm just trying to find a car that will last till I graduate college ...3 or so for graduate school. I can't afford too many large repairs because I will be focusing mainly on school than a job.

None of you SC-diehards have report information?
Old 03-27-06, 06:12 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all that matters to me:

February 1997
SC 300 named an Automobile Magazine All-Star for the fifth time.

May 1996
SC 400/300 rank as the Best Premium Luxury Car, respectively, in the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS).SM

January 1995
The SC 300 is named a Car and Driver 10Best. And Lexus was the best-selling luxury import in 1994.

January 1993
The SC 300 is named to the Car and Driver 10Best list and to Automobile Magazine's All-Star list.

March 1992
Motor Trend and the Motoring Press Association name the SC 400 Import Car of the Year.

January 1992
The SC 400 and ES 300 are named Automobile Magazine All-Stars, and SC 400 a Car and Driver 10Best. Lexus outsells BMW and Mercedes-Benz to become the number-one luxury import.
Old 03-27-06, 06:13 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Yea, I wouldnt put the SC on my best buys list either.....they are expensive to maintain and all the rubber products go to crap rather quickly (bushings, seals (on the engine), etc).
Old 03-27-06, 08:27 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The deterioration of the rubber parts in the car do not deteriorate out of line with the other Lexus cars. Personally, I think we might be a bit more over zealous in the condition of our cars.

Wasn't the SC3/4 C&R best buys in it category for several years? Doesn't make sense to me. The SC430 wasn't even on the list and that is consistently one of the most reliable, most defect free cars on the road. I'm thinking not enough info (production numbers too low or something).
Old 03-27-06, 08:42 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Consumer Reports lost my respect after I had noticed that they changed their tune on a couple of other, German cars that were unchanged from one year to the next, maybe they truly did not have the info to make the call the first time, but it's pretty irresponsible to print something that isn't necessarily accurate, but just a guess.
Old 03-27-06, 08:57 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NyanaDream
Just doing a little used car research on Consumer Reports. For used cars, the Lexus SC series was not given a good word.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...-worst-406.htm

Anyone have any documented reviews by quality sources on the sc300? It would help my choice on the car. I am looking for reliability and dependability for a daily driver college student

Either way, be prepared to do a lot of maintainence (the maintainence on my SC cost me more than I expected when I was in your phase). Gas mileage is also unfair to a college students' budget.
Old 03-27-06, 09:13 PM
NyanaDream
Driver School Candidate

Describe what you mean by maintainence? ...I think it is completely normal to replace typical filters, plugs, fluids, etc.

Aside from gas ...I drive about 25 miles a week to and from class. Gas isn't a concern.

CR is appears to pretty reputable ...it's either accurate, and you SC owners are just looking for another SC owner ...or they have infact forgotten something important. Still waiting to see if anyone can give me a dependability report.

On those JD Power awards ...I'm pretty sure they recieve funding and therefore can be subject to corrupt results.
Old 03-27-06, 10:54 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Post search this forum

Originally Posted by NyanaDream
Describe what you mean by maintainence? ...I think it is completely normal to replace typical filters, plugs, fluids, etc.

Aside from gas ...I drive about 25 miles a week to and from class. Gas isn't a concern.

CR is appears to pretty reputable ...it's either accurate, and you SC owners are just looking for another SC owner ...or they have infact forgotten something important. Still waiting to see if anyone can give me a dependability report.

On those JD Power awards ...I'm pretty sure they recieve funding and therefore can be subject to corrupt results.
if you do a search on this forum there are some common problems that are not really big but are costly, being a lexus

for one the power steering pump is known for leaking in the higher miles sc's and if you don't replace it, it could also burn out your alt(or starter i forget which one is under which) with is almost an 800+ job right there if you don't do the work yourself.

tranny mount is known for sagging over time and once again if you don't do that yourself it is well over 300 to fix.

one major problem are the bushings on the control arms, they wear away and you either need to press new bushings in the lac or completely replace the lac's all together( once again costly for a college student, i am one too ) more info about the lac are on this forum just search "LAC"

another concern are the needles in the gauge cluster, they are known to burn out as well and lexus is known for suggesting that you change the entire unit, over $1300, but our great mod O.L.T. can help you out for just over $100, but it involves taking out the cluster yourself and shipping the unit to them to fix.

the motors in the sc's, whether the 300 or 400, are very strong motors and will outlast your coillege life easily.

take a look at the forums for some common problems to look for though.... like we said the sc is a great car and definately a top rated used car, performance wise and long lasting...but the lexus badge does sport a heavy maintenance price.

search the forums for more info!

i am a college student as well i though some things are pricey, this is one of the most relaxing cars i have owned! g'luck in your decision
Old 03-28-06, 10:05 AM
aftv
Driver School Candidate

I hate to say it folks..but if you go by what CR says your going to be VERY disappointed..I went by their reccommendations a couple of times and was burned to the core...I not only do not subscribe anymore..I don't even read the rag anymore...good luck!!!
Old 03-28-06, 10:33 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

The Chevy Prizm is on the Good bets list....oh wait thats because its really a Toyota Carolla haha

Quick Reply: SC Series... Not on CR: Good Bets