SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What type of Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-01, 09:15 PM
praetorian180
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am about to inherit my mom's 98 sc300 and was wondering what rims I should get. I think I'm going to get 18 inch ones but I don't kno what brand or style. If you guys could give me a few recommendations it would really help. My mom's car is diamond white pearl and I'm getting the bomex body kit. Any help is appreciated. Thanx.
Old 09-01-01, 12:55 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much to do have to spend on the wheels/tires?
Old 09-01-01, 11:20 AM
praetorian180
Driver

Post money

Up to about 1500 or 1600
Old 09-02-01, 11:48 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

$1600 on wheels and tires? Hmmm, if you buy Kumho tires (least expensive), that's already $500 in tires...so now you're looking at $1100 for wheels ($275/wheel). That'll get you only knock-offs for the most part. I would consider not buying the body kit and getting better wheels instead.

A car with nice wheels looks a LOT better than a car with stock/crappy wheels and a body kit! I would try to target $420/wheel ($2180 with tires) so you can at least get some quality 18" 1-piece wheels...(like the Lsportline Model III)...
Old 09-02-01, 11:58 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Umm.....

Why get single peice rims? wouldnt 3 peice rims look/be better? If you get 3 peice rims and decide to chage your bakes, you can just swap the inner peice for the new brake setup instead of replaceing the whole wheel.

Toan.
Old 09-02-01, 03:04 PM
praetorian180
Driver

Maybe I can convince my parents to "donate" some more money. I live about 20 minutes from Sprewell Racing so I was thinking about going there to get my rims.
Old 09-02-01, 06:21 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look around first before you buy rims.Do not buy rims just because you live close to that place.Like Manaray said beware of knock-offs I made that mistake because I did not know much about wheels and got just bought rims at the first place I went too.

Manaray has a very good chioces you should ask him for wheel advice.

Sprewell Racing is a good place,but I heard they are expensive.Another good place would be the Wheel Warehouse,they have great prices there.There address is

115 W. La Palma Ave.
Anaheim,Ca 92801

Tel: 714-917-0921

Praetorian you should join us in our Teamlexstacy/Clublexus meets here in So.Cal every last saturday of every month.We have yet to have a SC join us yet,all we have are GS's,LS's,and IS's.Trust me we have fun.
Old 09-02-01, 09:15 PM
praetorian180
Driver

Thanks for the invite but I'll wait until next summer. By then my car should be ready. Thank you for the tip about wheel warehouse. I'll be sure to check them out. I was looking through their online catalog and their selection is really great.
Old 09-02-01, 09:51 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

praetorian180,their online catalog is small until so get to see the wharehouse in person.It like 10 times bigger in choices.

If you do not wanna come because your SC is stock,it does not matter.Not all Lexus cars that come with us are fixed up.
Old 09-04-01, 04:06 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Toan Nguyen - The reason why I didn't recommend a 3-piece wheel (or even a 2-piece) is because of the money. 3-piece wheels (well, good ones anyways) will cost $3000 and up...

A 3-Piece would definitely look better (with nice polished lip) but with $1100 as a starting point...

And swapping the inner piece (disk) with one that will accomodate new brakes isn't really realistic...it's a little more complicated than that...and only companies like HRE, Fikse, Kinesis would even consider doing up a custom center for you (but you wouldn't need it as their wheels are designed from the get go to accomodate large brakes)...try getting Lowenhart (Hart Wheels) to make you a custom center...hehehe

If you really plan on getting some aftermarket brakes, get wheels that are designed to accept large brakes. But if you plan on only spending $1600 or so for wheels and tires, forget about getting larger brakes. We're talking a MINIMUM of $700 for a minor "Supra" brake upgrade....when you start getting into some serious brakes like AP racing/Brembo's, you're talking $2500 to $4000 or so...plus installation and don't forget, on serious brakes like that, you have to buy serious pads...like $150/set (2 pads)...

As for Sprewell, go there to look, but don't buy...unless you know someone on the inside, you're not gonna get a great price (not a bad price, but not a great one).

There is no one place to get the best prices because it all depends on what wheel you want...if you want PARTICULAR JDM wheel, you'll have to go through an importer or find a shop that already imports them...

IMO, I would try to get the body kit last (plus I think the Bomex kit is wacked/ricer looking). I would worry about the suspension and wheels first since everyone can use a well handling car...and I think 19" wheels look better on SC...but of course, they cost more...
Old 09-04-01, 07:47 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, I would try to get the body kit last (plus I think the Bomex kit is wacked/ricer looking). I would worry about the suspension and wheels first since everyone can use a well handling car...and I think 19" wheels look better on SC...but of course, they cost more...
LOL, yes, all Bomex kits look bad IMO. They all have that fat at the bottom of that car, looks bad. I also think Bomex is very ricey, not to mention their name. Their name sounds more ricey than their products.

With all the other nice kits available, I don't know why people go with rice stuff.
Old 09-04-01, 10:15 AM
praetorian180
Driver

Well I'm a young guy and I don't really have the resources ($$$) to import a crazy nice body kit from Japan. So it would help me out if you could give me some alternatives to the Bomex Kit.
Old 09-04-01, 11:04 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by praetorian180
Well I'm a young guy and I don't really have the resources ($$$) to import a crazy nice body kit from Japan. So it would help me out if you could give me some alternatives to the Bomex Kit.
I don't know about that. But Bomex is one of the most uglies one I have ever seen. Look at http://www.gtautosports.com for body kits. Those bodykits with funky styling like Bomex don't look nice and clean IMO. I am happy with the stock underbody spoilers. They look good. All I need to do is lower the car. Along with the lowering kit I plan on doing other things like full suspension, nice big and wide rims, and supra breaks. Then car will look good. Well, then all I will worry about is how fast my car is and about all those chips from rocks. Those are all over the place. I think repaint is in order soon too. Maybe little darker than my stock jade green. Sweet!! When I look at my car with my polatrized yellow sun glasses my car looks little darker greenish and with the emblems it looks good.
Old 09-04-01, 11:21 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Praetorian180,just get what ever makes you happy.People have different tastes.

here is a past thread on a SC with bomex kit and later one with the Auto Couture kit

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=18497
Old 09-04-01, 11:45 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Try the Autocoutre kit... https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=18497

It just depends on your particular taste! Wiz, car is sweet and Tanners's SC is more subtle and elegant! I prefer the subtle kit myself, but to each his own. As long as it is done right!

Quick Reply: What type of Rims