SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Proper off-set!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-01, 11:57 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
What is the factory offset of the SC4 wheels? I want to get the Supra upgraded brakes eventually. (like next spring)

I found some wheels with 38mm offset. The rims are 18" a friend turned me on to them. What is good back spacing for a nice look for the SC4 that will house the upgraded brake change?

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 09-04-01 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-04-01, 06:36 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More so than the offset, the wheel design will affect your clearance...18" with a +38 should work fine on your SC (so long as it's not wider than 8.5") but which wheels are they? Brake caliper clearance will depend largely on the design...

Also +38 should get the wheels right out the edge which will look nice! What width is the wheel?
Old 09-04-01, 09:09 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

The size is 18" x 8"...
Old 09-05-01, 08:30 AM
MrWigggles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 18" X 8.5" with a 44 offset (Enkei Agesis). I have absolutely no rubbing.

I also have 18" X 9.5" wheels on the back that have a 45 offset which also have no clearance problems

Remember that the each inch = 25.4 mm.

So a half inch would be about 13mm and quarter inch would be about 6mm.

So going with a 38mm offset wheel that is 9" wide should put you about as close to fender as my set-up. Then you would only have to worry about inside clearance which I think would be fine.

Good luck. I will try to get a measurement on my car to see how much internal clearance I have.

-Mr. Wigggles

Old 09-05-01, 09:01 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Which wheel is it? The best way to find out is call up the manufacturer, get the brake clearence specs (if they don't know what that is, start to worry!) and then see if Steve Ganz has the specs for the Supra brakes. When I was getting my wheels made, HRE called up Stillen to get the specs on the AP Racing brakes...just to make sure...they clear them by at least 10mm....that's customer service!

Also, which wheels are they? I might know if they clear by knowing that (brand and model) and the width/offset (8"/+38)

Old 09-05-01, 09:46 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Wiggles, so I'm assuming your ride has that even down the side look. That I'm trying to achieve. As long as they give the car a nicer stance than the Fittipaldi's I have and the of coure the stock wheels...

Manaray, I'm not sure of the brand yet. A friend of mine has a partner with a 94' GS3 with the wheels. I've seen the wheels before they look very similar to the GS4, IS3, and RX3 wheels. With the exception they are 18" in stead of 17". I'm sure they are some "knock off" type rims, but I can get them(rim and tires) for $500 bucks! They are hi-polish aluminum rims if I'm recalling correctly. The rims look nice and not ghetto.

They're cheaper than getting my 2 17" Fittipaldi's fixed, shipping, buying 2 more Nitto 17" tires, and mouting/balancing the rims... Plus they will look much nicer than the stock 92' SC4 wheels back on the car now.My friend says he paid $1300.00 for the rims and tires last Nov. 2000.

The guy with the GS3 has traded in his car and got a LS4 and putting dubs on it. The dealer would only add $150 to the value of his trade in with the 18" rims/tires on the GS. Typical dealer tactic... So he is selling the combo for $700 o.b.o. to put down on his 20's.

I'll call my guy at work to get the exact company that makes the rim and the tire he is running....

Last edited by The Ikon; 09-05-01 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-05-01, 11:24 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

The rim is an Eagle model #077 and the tires are Kuhmo Escta Supra 245 40 18.

Go to the site and chose the SC4 92' - 00' - 18" rims - polished finish

www.whalentire.com

I know they are cheap rims that are not LD, but for $500(rims/tires) and Lexus oem look it is worth the price to me. It is better than stock!!! Would they scrub against the Supra brake upgrade?

Last edited by The Ikon; 09-05-01 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-06-01, 03:44 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Those do look very close to stock...by your logic, it makes sense to do the deal...judging by the width and offset plus the design of the wheel, I would think that it WOULD clear the Supra brake package...it's hard to say, I've NEVER seen anyone put American Racing wheels on a Lexus (you have to admit, that's strange!)

--now going off a tangent....

Hmmm, I think I would buy the wheels/tires for $500, have the tires taken off, sell the wheels for $500, sell the Fitti's for whatever you can get and then buy the Moda R6 (since you like the GS style stock 17's...). I think the Moda R6 is a very clean looking wheel and I heard the quality is pretty good (and the ones I've seen look good)...I don't know the quality of American Racing wheels...too me, they always seems like cheap Pep Boys type wheels...

Here's a picture...it's only $916/set (18" x 8") from Tire Rack...just put the Kumho's back on and you're good to go!
Attached Thumbnails Proper off-set!!!-scmoda.jpg  
Old 09-06-01, 10:10 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Hmmm, I think I would buy the wheels/tires for $500, have the tires taken off, sell the wheels for $500, sell the Fitti's for whatever you can get and then buy the Moda R6 (since you like the GS style stock 17's...). I think the Moda R6 is a very clean looking wheel and I heard the quality is pretty good (and the ones I've seen look good)...I don't know the quality of American Racing wheels...too me, they always seems like cheap Pep Boys type wheels...
Good looking out Manaray. The GS style rims are not my first choice at all, but the deal is good on these wheels/tires. I knew the style would make my car look like a Lexus, not a ghettolized rice machine!

For $900 bucks, I'll rather get the Konig Imagine rims like "Hoops" has on his SC4 or the Konig Monsoons/some Enkei's over the R6 or the 077. I've had AR wheels on my Karmann Ghia for 7 yrs with no problems. I'm glad they'll fit the brake upgrade. I'm always up to suggestion on rims. I truly care about looks in rims vs price.(unless the quality has been proven to be very bad) Many manufacturers make several rims and sell them under different names to different companies for $$$ prices. It's truly hard to tell what you are getting to be honest at any price.

Now if anyone has some good used rims at a great price, I'm open until 9-10-01... If this guy takes the $500 my guy think he'll take for the combo.. I'll have a Japanese auto, rollin on American wheels at German speeds.

Later, I'll sell them and the coupe:eek: in the summer before I get my 97' XK8 convertible! J/K about the coupe.

*Manaray, I'm waiting on your image of the SC 430 with the quad lights with out a grill...

*Guys go to the SC430 forum and check out the thread "Images of SC430" or something like that. Manaray started the thread, it has a nice 430 with quad headlights(something Lexus should've done!), nice wheels (NOT Eagles) and body kit.

Last edited by The Ikon; 09-06-01 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-06-01, 05:41 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Eh, you know how I feel about Konigs...I would buy the R6 over the Konigs...but if looks is all that matters to you...

I'd rather get the Enkei's...

Oh yeah, the no grille SC430...sorry, forgot about that! I'll do it later!
Old 09-07-01, 09:56 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Unhappy

I'm waiting................