SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New Member w/ cluster problem / needle

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 01:33 PM
sbsc300
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Member w/ cluster problem / needle

Hello, I am a new Club Lexus Member. I just bought my 1992 SC300 last week and have been researching the forums trying to figure out what to do to my car. I have found a bunch of information so far but have a few problems that I could find answers for. My cluster looks to have had the needles replaced to a blue color and the entire display is bright with no black out. At first I thought the needles may have been from Lextech but I'm not sure anymore. The rest of the cluster lights up fine but the only thing changed looks to be the blue needles. But the readings are all off. My temperature gauge is 3/4 of the way up and looks like its overheating when its not. The speedo is off by a good 15-20 mph as it reads 40mph on the freeway when I'm probably doing about 60. The tach idles at 0rpm even when the engine is on and warmed up. The fuel gauge takes forever to reach FULL and seems to be a little inaccurate as well. I'm wondering if the previous owner messed up while installing the needles or if the cluster is from a later model SC300 and its not working correctly. Can somebody help me with this problem? I wanted to get the entire unit sent to lextech to be redone but dont' want to send it to them if it comes back with bright lights and new needles but still has the same problems. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for such a long explanation from a newbie. Have to say that this is the best car forum I have researched and all the members seem extremely helpful. Thanks in advance for any future input I might receive.
Old 04-05-06, 01:39 PM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wondering...is the car black? with tan itnerior? what part of CA u from? cuz i checked out a SC with just the needle blue before too..
Old 04-05-06, 01:54 PM
sbsc300
Rookie

The car is white w/ tan interior. I'm located in the south bay. Did the car you look at have the same problems as mine does? Or was it just that the cluster needles were blue?
Old 04-05-06, 02:24 PM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

well i noticed something was wrong with the MPH ting..but thts all i noticed
Old 04-05-06, 04:07 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

your cluster has to be calibrated/re-adjusted
read the sticky at the very top of the forum, you'll find all sorts of info there
Old 04-05-06, 07:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

There have been a few shade tree retrofits by DIY guys. I get emails about them all the time. Usually starts with "I tried to make my cluster blue and now nothing works".

............what was the question again?

Gotta have the right stuff to make changes to the unit. New, this unit would have ran for $3,200 + the extra's.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-05-06 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 08:08 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could call the seller . They were probably aware of the problem.
They may not be overly cooperative. But you never know. Surely they can at least tell you who did the cluster for them.
Old 04-05-06, 08:15 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fuel gauge does same thing, I think everything is ok. I just want everything to go out so I can send it to O.L.T. lol.
Old 04-05-06, 10:55 PM
sbsc300
Rookie

Thanks for the help guys. OLT does that mean that if I have the unit sent in to Lextech they can recalibrate it at the same time that I get all the other lightwork done? If so, how much extra is that or is it included when I get the blue lighting with the new needle color? Thanks again for the input guys. Really appreciate it.
Old 04-05-06, 10:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Write lextech and ask them.
Old 04-06-06, 08:15 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sbsc300
Hello, I am a new Club Lexus Member. I just bought my 1992 SC300 last week and have been researching the forums trying to figure out what to do to my car. I have found a bunch of information so far but have a few problems that I could find answers for. My cluster looks to have had the needles replaced to a blue color and the entire display is bright with no black out. At first I thought the needles may have been from Lextech but I'm not sure anymore. The rest of the cluster lights up fine but the only thing changed looks to be the blue needles. But the readings are all off. My temperature gauge is 3/4 of the way up and looks like its overheating when its not. The speedo is off by a good 15-20 mph as it reads 40mph on the freeway when I'm probably doing about 60. The tach idles at 0rpm even when the engine is on and warmed up. The fuel gauge takes forever to reach FULL and seems to be a little inaccurate as well. I'm wondering if the previous owner messed up while installing the needles or if the cluster is from a later model SC300 and its not working correctly. Can somebody help me with this problem? I wanted to get the entire unit sent to lextech to be redone but dont' want to send it to them if it comes back with bright lights and new needles but still has the same problems. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for such a long explanation from a newbie. Have to say that this is the best car forum I have researched and all the members seem extremely helpful. Thanks in advance for any future input I might receive.

Either it wasn't calibrated and/or its the sc400 cluster in your sc300....

I have reviewed this with LExtech before because I had similiar issues after an upgrade. They easily recalibrated everything for me My gas and temp are off a smidgen but nothing to complain about.

I would send my cluster to them asap, especially if your mph is that far off
Old 04-06-06, 04:37 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Dr. OLT to the operating room please!
Old 04-06-06, 06:43 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

wow. that problem sounds so familiar!

lots of so cal guys have problems like that. You should PM some of them.
Old 04-07-06, 09:19 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Write lextech and ask them.
OLT, arent u the one running Lextech?????
Old 04-08-06, 09:42 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

When i got mine back from lextech, the temp and gas needles werent alligned properly. I was to lazy to fix it though . Pull everything out then pull the plastic cover off, and gently pull the needles out and put them where the belong in the proper position. Simple cure, might wanna hook up the thing back to the car when you pull it out though and have it run till it reaches normal operating temp to help you adjust it properly.

Quick Reply: New Member w/ cluster problem / needle