SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Paint touch-up cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-01, 10:39 PM
bobc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car I just bought is pretty old...as old as an sc300 can get. Its a 92 and the paint on the front has kinda worn off and it looks pretty crappy. It's the same thing on the back. Any idea on how much it might cost to touch it up somewhere? Thanks.
Old 09-06-01, 06:05 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that it's worn means that the rest of the paint is most likely faded. Your best bet is to get the whole car repainted. What color is it? Don't say pearl white....they'll never be able to match that one....lol It would look much better having new paint everywhere IMO.

Cheap paint shops should be able to paint it the same color for around $500 or so, and a factory quality repainting can cost upwards of $2000 - $2500 because they strip the car apart...

Hope this helps!

SR
Old 09-06-01, 02:12 PM
bobc
Rookie

Thanks, it's dark green.
Old 09-06-01, 04:12 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

That'll be much easier to repaint then....no pearl involved. I'd say you should be able to find a decent shop to do it for $1000, and you won't really be able to see difference from a factory job.

SR
Old 09-06-01, 04:37 PM
bobc
Rookie

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-06-01, 04:51 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cmputer.....did u say Hopefully its not pearl white.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Why is it so hard to match the pearl white (if they have the color codes for the pearl look and white paint) and can u get a good job done w/ the pearl white or would i be wasting my time looking for a place to reapint my car.
Old 09-06-01, 04:56 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well......I talked to 7 different paint shops, and two of them were even NASCAR places that paint bigtime peoples cars (you get that in north carolina...lol) and they all said "no way it'll be an exact match, but we can get close"

Reason being, is when I paint pearl:

#1 I sand and primer
#2 I spray the white basecoat
#3 I spray the pearl coats. If I paint 3 coats it may be too white, 5 coats may be too yellow/pearl, but you can never tell just how many you'll need to match it exactly. AND you can't tell the final color until AFTER the clearcoat is sprayed. Then it's too late to add more pearl....

Best bet is to paint the whole car over....all pearls and kandies are like this....almost never can be matched.

SR
Old 09-06-01, 05:17 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cmputer....Last week, some guy rearended the SC, and insurance made us take it to a Cadillac dealership to get repaired. They had to order a new rear bumper, and had to paint it,etc. When we got it back, the paint MATCHED the factory paint almost exactly. It actually looks a lot better than the fact. paint (but it might be b/c its new paint). Do u think that they would repaint the whole car or not? I know that it would be extremely expensive b/c its a dealership doing the work, but if they r the only ones then.....
Old 09-06-01, 05:27 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Just so you know in the future.....nobodys insurance can tell you where you MUST take a vehicle. They can complain and say take it here or there, but they can't force you to take it to a certain place. You've got the choice. If they give you any problems with something like that, just call and ask for a manager, and if that doesn't work, call the BBB and the Insurance Regulators and it'll be resolved in less than 48hrs.

Wow that they matched it....wish I could find a place that could! My bodykit looked fine in the direct sun, but in shadows and stuff I could see the difference bigtime, and at certain angles.

Now if a bodyshop gets a good match on the paint....the insurance won't be required to pay for total repainting. But if they can't match it, they'll hafta paint the whole thing...

When I lived in Richmond, there's a place called Bruces Bodyshop that did like 110% A++ work, but it is EXPEN$IVE. Well insurance companies there always *****ed about people taking it there, and I actually had to call the BBB to get my insurance company to let me go there. Funny how they break the rules as much as possible....but then are all apologetic when you do that...lol

SR
Old 09-07-01, 12:29 AM
YuuDawg
Driver

wouldn't you be able to get the factory color paint and paint it on? that doesn't work for pearl colors? don't htey already have the pearl/paint mixed to the right ratio?

granted it won't match the fade on your car, but it should be more subtle than if you had a bad color matching job?
Old 09-07-01, 09:27 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Just so you know in the future.....nobodys insurance can tell you where you MUST take a vehicle. They can complain and say take it here or there, but they can't force you to take it to a certain place. You've got the choice. If they give you any problems with something like that, just call and ask for a manager, and if that doesn't work, call the BBB and the Insurance Regulators and it'll be resolved in less than 48hrs.
I agree with that Wiz 100%!!! Those bastards are quick to try to side step for a few $$$ saved for them. I was with Progressive before and they are 2nd rate!!! IMO. Pro. tried a monkey move on my Grandfather and we all left them for another company.(plus we were not at fault!) The few bucks save was not worth the BAD SERVICE and DISHONESTY... Apologies means nothing after you tried to F@#K someone that did not want it!!!:eek:
Old 09-07-01, 05:54 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

And while we're on the subject of painting....I guess I better get back outside now. I was so screwed up from the smell of the paint that I had to sit on the sofa and read this site for the last 30min....LOL

Ugh.....back out to continue the bondo and paint routine....

SR
Old 09-07-01, 09:52 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I bet you are sniffing fumes on purpose...
Old 09-08-01, 01:26 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Umm I may have been....but with all the brain cells I lost....I can't remember...

SR
Old 09-08-01, 06:20 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Los Angeles Pricing

Does anyone know of a great place in Southern California to get a spectacular rich black paint job for my SC400? The one shop I know that is good quoted me $4000 to do the whole car but that is pretty bad. I am very picky on who I want touching my car. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Paint touch-up cost?