SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is SC a good drift car??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 08:08 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, many drift haters.

I don't think a Soarer is properly weight balanced for drifting unless you go to extremes like Ueno has... they're too nose heavy.
Old 04-12-06, 08:15 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
Wow, many drift haters.

I don't think a Soarer is properly weight balanced for drifting unless you go to extremes like Ueno has... they're too nose heavy.
naw i dont hate man. i luv drifting, i hate posers.
Old 04-12-06, 08:15 PM
bishoptane
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well ill give my answer in about a month i just bought mine for this single purpose. i dont suggest to be your first car, but if you are like bill gates adopated son ok. as everyone has said this will cost you alot more to be able to get sideways. a 240 86 or some other car will be a better beginner car, the stock dohc in a 240 is enough to get you sideways, coilovers and lsd and go out drifting. on the other hand a sc with there front end they dont let you have so much turning angle because you would hit or rub the upper control arm. like 0 offest wheels might help but you dont find those on ebay all day for 400 bucks, lol. theres alot of other ways to get more angle. plz dont think just cause the car weighs 3200, well alittle under 3000lbs striped completely, that you cant drift you can but it takes more work. if you havent seen it you will theres a 530i turbo bmw that drifts down here in fl. i have been told that it weighs 3100 lbs with the driver in it. dont get me wrong weight is a issue, but it can be done just need work, time and lots of pratice. by the way lighthalo where in fl are you ???????
Old 04-12-06, 08:17 PM
bishoptane
Driver

http://www.toyotaimportsforum.co.uk/...ad.php?t=10083

heres a dude in europe that get sideways in a sc

Last edited by bishoptane; 04-12-06 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-12-06, 09:02 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

bishoptane u have pm

another thing that makes this not that good of a car to drift is the steering radius, the big big steering radius. and (like some one said earlier) its a 'long' car which IMO looks sweeter going sideways, makes the drifting seem more fluid
Old 04-12-06, 09:26 PM
Pepsiguru
Driver School Candidate

I think drifting is fun and enjoyable when someone else risks their car and tires.
My days of show boaing are over I think.

I sure as hell am not gonna risk my SC.
Old 04-12-06, 09:34 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ur lookin for a driftcar dont get the SC. Plain and simple!
Old 04-12-06, 11:37 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SC might be a good drag car but drift...uh, no. Have you been in one and felt how heavy it feels just driving normally? I have an S14 and I must say, hands down its a better drift/handling car. If you think SR makes it a better drift car, Im guessing you dont drift? It's not always about power, but technique. AE86 dont make much power but they have no problem sliding their asses around. Ive had and SR and KA powered S14, and if you're just learning, do it inexpensively, keep the KA. The KA will more than suffice to learn with. Drifting the SC is possible Im sure; if that one dude can drift a Mustang anything is possible I guess...lol
Old 04-13-06, 07:34 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lighthalo
but what looks sweeter than a drifting lux car? ..
esp the SC and G35 and GTR
I don't doubt it would look cool but you'd be losing out on a lot of luxury in your car because you'd have to drop the weight a ton. If I was into drifiting (which I'm not) I wouldn't drift my SC. I see my car in the middle of VIP and tuned than a drift mobile. We'll see the direction my car goes when I have some extra money to dump into it. The only mods I've done are premium gas and oil changes.
Old 04-13-06, 08:33 AM
KAME
Driver

I have a 240SX and an SC300. The 240 is considerably more agile, but I enjoy driving the SC more on the track. Some people just like the feel of a GT car. As for drifting, I'd take the 240 every time. It is very easy to slide in a controlled manner.
Old 04-13-06, 09:20 AM
kaosman
Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
SC might be a good drag car but drift...uh, no. Have you been in one and felt how heavy it feels just driving normally? I have an S14 and I must say, hands down its a better drift/handling car. If you think SR makes it a better drift car, Im guessing you dont drift? It's not always about power, but technique. AE86 dont make much power but they have no problem sliding their asses around. Ive had and SR and KA powered S14, and if you're just learning, do it inexpensively, keep the KA. The KA will more than suffice to learn with. Drifting the SC is possible Im sure; if that one dude can drift a Mustang anything is possible I guess...lol
The SC is driftable, even in stock form...Alex Pfiffer is always showing peeps the drift line at tracks, using his almost stock SC300 5-speed - he's got springs - with an open diff. And it looks good.
Old 04-13-06, 12:32 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
a 2jzsoarer? wow you must have one of them special editions...

yes...one of those special edition (compare to Japan) which every SC300 owners has in U.S.,
so special the U.S. had to cheat us without the turbos and only gave us 0.5 more liter of displacement...

come on...do I have to change my name to " 2JZ in a Soarer body aka JZZ31", which can be simply said with a short version of "2jzSoarer"...come on...get off my back..my name has been this for 3 years and you just now say something about it
Old 04-13-06, 12:43 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kaosman
The SC is driftable, even in stock form...Alex Pfiffer is always showing peeps the drift line at tracks, using his almost stock SC300 5-speed - he's got springs - with an open diff. And it looks good.
I never said it wasn't driftable. I just said it's heavy and probably not easy to drift. That name sounds familiar, is he from 5Zigen and/or drive an S13, mostly stock also?
Old 04-13-06, 12:43 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Point of the matter being Anything can be built into a drift car. I've seen all sorts of cars, trucks, transmissions, even drive setups drifted. It all really depends on how deep you're pocket go. The SC would be a great platform to start with if it wern't for the curb weight and other issues. If you're gonna do it go for it. More power to you. It's not really a great car to start learning how to drift on. There are more readily available cars on the market that are more suited to learning to drift on. Dozens of older S13, 86's, and cars of that sort can be picked up anywhere. But the main point of it all is if you really want to learn, take it to a road course and have at it. Drifting on the street is not cool. But good luck in you're endevor on doing something that you find enjoyable.
Old 04-13-06, 12:44 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Anything can be drifted.... the sc is a perfectly fine drift car, it just takes more skill then a 240.

Quick Reply: Is SC a good drift car??