SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Hows your exprience with your SC?
The SC is my only car. It's been great(no problems, little to no time in the shop)
54.74%
The SC is my only car. I wish I had another car (Time in shop is noteworthy. It gets to be a hassle)
5.74%
I have 2 cars and My SC is my daily driver and I could do with just the SC
30.04%
I have 2 cars and My SC is my daily driver and thank god I have a second car
9.48%
Voters: 749. You may not vote on this poll

For you guys that use your Sc as a daily driver...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 11:48 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The powersteering line itself didnt, doesnt leak. The vacuum hose leaked, causing pump failure.

I change plugs every 3k miles because it always makes the car idle a tad better, and they are cheap, and takes 15mins to replace. Ill get slight mis-fires here and there if i dont change them every oil change.

The 1JZGTE is a VERY simple motor to maintain, because its a very simple motor. No emissions, barely any ECU to control it, maybe 5 total vacuum lines. Anything that could, would break, is very easy to access and replace.

I would not say the same even about a J-Spec 2JZGTE, because it uses a Mass Air sensor, and has a complicated turbo setup.
Old 04-18-06, 01:45 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

sp a 1jzgte, even though it is very similar to a 2jzgte is much lss complicated? simple turbo? Is there some place i could do some more research about the 1jz and 2jz?

as far as I can tell, the 1jz uses a MAP sensoer instead of a MAF sensor to calculate fuel.

but it is also shorter stroke(theroticalyl higher redline possible)
less torque bottom end
weaker internals if I wanted to pump it up with some tuning
lower max unmodified turbo boost
side spary and smaller injectors
not legal in U.S.
lower stock hp
No obdc 1 or 2 support(i guess hat makes it simpler, but it's harder to diagnose problems this way)
parts are harder to find for 1jz and ven harder to find competent mechanics with exprience with 1jz in U.S.

Last edited by Mwmorph; 04-18-06 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-18-06, 04:16 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mwmorph
sp a 1jzgte, even though it is very similar to a 2jzgte is much lss complicated? simple turbo? Is there some place i could do some more research about the 1jz and 2jz?

as far as I can tell, the 1jz uses a MAP sensoer instead of a MAF sensor to calculate fuel.

but it is also shorter stroke(theroticalyl higher redline possible)
less torque bottom end
weaker internals if I wanted to pump it up with some tuning
lower max unmodified turbo boost
side spary and smaller injectors
not legal in U.S.
lower stock hp
No obdc 1 or 2 support(i guess hat makes it simpler, but it's harder to diagnose problems this way)
parts are harder to find for 1jz and ven harder to find competent mechanics with exprience with 1jz in U.S.
The 1JZGTE is just as strong, or STRONGER then a 2JZGTE. Same internals almost, but due to the shorter stroke, less stress. Holds more power. People have no problem revving stock cammmed, valve spring 1JZ's to 8500. Mine hits 8k every day. So far no one has recordingly blew up a 1JZGTE on any forums yet due to HP on the stock bottom end. Also so far theres people over 1000hp and over 10,000rpms with cams and valve springs. People are getting GT40R turbos to get 20psi at around 4000rpms. Same as a 2JZGTE.

Stock boost is 10psi. On 10psi, the average 1JZGTE makes 250RWHP with an automatic transmission. Blowing away the 280hp crank rating.

1JZGTE parts are as easy to find as going to your local auto Discount Auto store.
Old 04-19-06, 12:34 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad that I have two cars (S2000 and SC300). Due to previous owner(s) neglecting maintenance, I have to pay the hefty price of repairing the SC300. My SC300 does have a lot of miles on it, but I've no regret buying the SC. It runs very smooth and very quiet. It has crapped out on me, but due to previous owner neglecting maintenance. So far I had replaced the starter, radiator, and drive belt on my SC and will be doing a tune up on it this weekend. I hope that will solve the shaking problem the car car has been doing lately.

Right now, I have to take my S2000 to work and school and though it's a fun car to drive, it's not as comfy as the SC. I'm sure glad I have a second car!!

~Josh
Old 04-19-06, 05:20 AM
Son Gokou
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I have the Soarer for 2 years now and is my only car.

It's been great(no problems, little to no time in the shop)
Old 04-19-06, 08:57 AM
Beer Guy
Driver

I can't wait to get rid of my Lexus. It has been a problem child from day one.

The clear is flaking away while I drive.
The cylinder #5 injector driver inside the ECU failed, requiring a new ecu.
Now I have picked up the 3000rpm hesitation.
One headlight leaked and made my car look like it had catarax(sp)
The trunk struts stopped working.
The car slowly eats coolant and oil (but they don't mix, I have no idea how *that* works)

I just wish my 240 wasn't in a billion pieces or I would be using that as the DD.
Old 04-20-06, 10:14 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Beer- those are all common wear and tear symptoms that you will discover in any 10+ year old car... The ECU problem is not common at all, and that is just bad luck... The paint would be ok if the car was regulary waxed and garaged.. I had to repaint my 92 SC400 also, the headlights can leak and can also be repaired fairly easily for free... Removed the leaking headlight throw it in the microwave or oven to loosen the gasket seal, then remove the lense, clean it with plastic shine, re-seal with RV silicon and reinstall...no more leaks and or fogging. However you will need to do both headlights ...One will look new the other will look old, not good... The oil leak and coolant leak is odd but most likely an older cracking hose is the culprit and not the head gaskets... It's soulds like your SC was never maintained...How many miles on it... In regards to the trunk struts wearing out they can be replaced for very cheap on Ebay...Install yourself, peice of cake, I did that on my SC I currently own.. I have owned an SC400 years ago with over 300,000 on it however it was maintained regularly and ran great...I think any older car you buy will give you more problems then your LEX.. Just my input and something to think about.....

Last edited by jibbby; 04-22-06 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-20-06, 03:55 PM
Beer Guy
Driver

Originally Posted by jibbby
Beer- those are all common wear and tear symptoms that you will discover in any 10+ year old car... The ECU problem is not common at all, and that is just bad luck... The paint would be ok if the car was regulary waxed and garaged.. I had to repaint my 92 SC400 also, the headlights can leak and can also be repaired fairly easily for free... Removed the leaking headlight throw it in the microwave or over to loosen the gasket seal, then remove the lense, clean it with plastic shine, re-seal with RV silicon and reinstall...no more leaks and or fogging. However will need to do both headlights ...One will look new the other old, not good... The oil leak and coolant leak is odd but most likely an older cracking hose is the culprit and not the head gaskets... It's soulds like your SC was never maintained...How many miles on it... In regards to the trunk struts wearing out they can be replaced for very cheap on Ebay...Install yourself, peice of cake, I did that on my SC I currently own.. I have owned an SC400 years ago with over 300,000 on it however it was maintained regularly and ran great...I think any older car you buy will give you more problems then your LEX.. Just my input and something to think about.....

Oh, I know that the car was not maintained and there in lies the problem and why I can't wait to get rid of it.

Also, about the oil/coolant: the car leaks nothing.

I have fixed all of it except for the mysterious 3000rpm hesitation. Odds are that the MAF is pooping out on me since it now randomly stalls as well, and it is not related to the IAC.
Old 04-22-06, 03:34 AM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

sc is my only car. only problems ive had are 1 rear caliper stuck and had to go thru 2 alternators at one point since apperently one i got was faulty. other than that just reg maint. stuff and she's been doing well after 4 years. though i do feel bushings NEED to be replaced all around soon.
Old 04-22-06, 09:24 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Just a quick story...Years ago I owned a car dealership for 5 years or so and I sold numerous SC400 Lexus's, must have bought and sold atleast 50 of them or more. I bought and drove them all.. The cars were solid even when not maintained properly which was amazing to me at the time.. Like I said I had one that had 300,000 and it ran great... I don't remember having any engine or transmission problems on any of the cars, mostly fixes would be interior stuff, a window regulator, rear wheel alignment, stereo speaker changes, etc...little stuff and not offen...I came to realise the Lexus SC400 was the most reliable car to own, period..I would buy Chevy's, Fords, Dodge, Nissan, Etc.. they all gave me trouble but not the SC400's... That is the very reason I drive one today.... Toyota Camery's, Corola's, Landcruiser's, etc. were all solid too....

I still feel confident my 1992 SC400 with 112,000 would make it cross country without one problem, any other 1992 car with over 100,000 miles I would be nervous...

That is my testimony in regards to the SC400....I also would venture to say the SC300 are solid too. Those straight six cylinder motors are very strong and durable... My second car is a 1993 Toyota Landcruiser with the 4.5L straight six motor which is similar to the SC300 motor and that car has 200,000 original miles on it and it runs as good as new, no problems... I had a leak in the A/C system in three years of owning the Cruiser that is it... Can't go wrong with Lexus/Toyota for reliability and durability...for power at stock you may wan't choose Dodge, Chevy, Ford, etc.. just make sure you get a bumber to bumber warranty......
Old 04-24-06, 03:55 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

damned near 8 years and going STRONG!!!!!!!....only regular maintenance.. nothing out of the ordinary.(yes, daily driver)
Old 04-25-06, 01:24 AM
ISC400
Pole Position

SC400 BEST THING YET!! on four wheels for me, 195k miles and running STRONG as ever. So far i have just given it regular maintenece and refreshed my suspension. next i'm geting my dash needles fixed and full exhaust
Old 04-28-06, 03:19 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

My SC is daily driven. Looking to pick up a paseo or echo to daily drive. Getting 14 mpg isnt my idea of fun when cali gas prices are geting close to $4.00/gal.
Old 05-01-06, 02:23 PM
94SC3005Sp
Driver School Candidate

Default chea

I have also had very minimal problems. Most problems I have had have been electrical. Ex. lights going out and my gauge cluster needles are blinking. Thats the only problem.

-Only time in the shop is when i was hit so... I LOVE my SC300!
Old 05-01-06, 05:06 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

I trust my 93 sc400 with just under a quarter million miles enough to drive her back and forth to Cleveland every weekend a good 650 mile round trip jaunt.

She is a good car, would love to take my 00 sc300 but that is my collector car I only drive on the weekends...

sure beats a camry (which is a great car too)

Quick Reply: For you guys that use your Sc as a daily driver...