Turbo install price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-01, 05:43 PM
Sanjuro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello all!

I'm currently debating what my next car will be. Right now I'm thinking either a Supra TT or an SC300. I've looked online and I've found quite a few SC's in my area for relatively little $$$.

Approximately how much would it cost to get an SC to put out 400 RWHP? I mean total cost, including labor and everything. I live near Chicago, so I'd like to have the work done at Sound Performance.

Also, can an automatic SC take that much HP, or would I have to find a manual?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-12-01, 05:47 PM
SC_Speed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just a rough estimate, but you're looking at about 4500 - 6000 for a full turbo kit and 1500+ for install unless you have an inside connection. There are probably others on the forum that can give you an exact ammount for various kits, but that will give you a ballpark figure for a base turbo kit.
Old 09-13-01, 10:48 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you get charged $1500 for an install please shoot them

I'm doing my install for free when I get it. The hardest part is swapping the headgasket; the rest is just turning bolts... it will take a while; but I save $750-$900

there are two turbokits to choose from

There's the Fmax kit which costs $4650 at the cheapest that I've found... and the Toyomoto kit which isn't sold by anyone but toyomoto; and it costs $6000 or so

the toyomoto is said to be higher quality than the fmax kit with regards to the manifold and piping...
The manifold I believe but I still haven't seen any evidence except words being thrown around that the Fmax manifold leaks... fmax sells honda, 240sx and non-turbo supra kits as well, and they are from what i've been told and seen evidence of, very nice... although the Toyomoto manifold is still a bit nicer... people also claim that the fmax kit has plastic intercooler piping; which is untrue... its just like the toyomoto kit and you have the option of what type of BOV you want to run... i plan on using a HKS SuperSequential

The toyomoto kit makes you pay $$$$$$$$$ for just a stock supra sidemount intercooler while the fmax has a full front-mount intercooler...
they both have the same size turbo, additional injectors and additional injector controllers (just a diff brand controller)... and the same headgasket
they are both very complete and only require a bigger exhaust system after their provided downpipe and a bigger fuel pump to work...

both are rated to provide 320 reliable horsepower... but that is at 6-7psi of boost off the wastegate
the boost can be turned up to 12psi i'm told and still be fine... and with the addition of either more injectors or a VPC; that the boost can be turned all the way up to 18psi... then even more with alcohol injection or race gas...

15psi from what i've seen yields about 440-450rwhp
so 12psi should yield right at 400rwhp...
the greatness of both of these kits is that they are the base; you can always upgrade the turbo; the fuel system and make TONS of power... I'm told 800rwhp with NOS is the most the engine can handle without needing to upgrade the internals...

the 4-speed auto will not take 400rwhp and 400ft-lbs of torque... find a 5-speed if you can; or if you find a auto for a GOOD price; then you can buy a 5 or 6-speed and have that installed... the 6-speeds come from the SupraTTs and will bolt onto the engine...

good luck