King7Two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
So does my GF's nail polish.

Really?

Correct answer is NO.

Cheap pay = cheap work

Last edited by King7Two; 08-19-09 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 11:09 PM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude go to a real shop. you get what you pay for. i also thought about going to maaco too to repaint my fender. but after reading some reviews on yelp, i'd rather get some quality work for my car. what scared me the most is that besides crappy work, they can end up damaging your car and not take the blame. save your cash and go to a real body shop, otherwise you'll be sorry.
Old 08-19-09, 11:14 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

The body shop Iv been going to fix my car after my accident is going to charge me 1700 for a full paint job same color(red) is this a good deal? I had a neighbor use them and they did a good job. What about changing the color of the car. Iv heard the price could double to change the color of a car. Is this true? Yes I plan on getting EVERYTHING painted.
Old 08-19-09, 11:18 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look for runs in his paint. and also look for un even lines in the body work
Old 08-19-09, 11:24 PM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nfordhk
The body shop Iv been going to fix my car after my accident is going to charge me 1700 for a full paint job same color(red) is this a good deal? I had a neighbor use them and they did a good job. What about changing the color of the car. Iv heard the price could double to change the color of a car. Is this true? Yes I plan on getting EVERYTHING painted.
dude it's one thing to paint it the same color, it's another to change the color and have everything gone over. be prepared to spend a lot for a new color. just for the fact there's gonna be more labor involved, especially if you want the engine bay painted. i ain't tryin to be negative, but the reality is body shops cost and arm and a leg.
Old 08-19-09, 11:25 PM
TankMR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nfordhk
If they truly do good work, $1700 is a steal

People on here are fans of giving your 17 year old $2500 Lexus a $5000 paint job
Old 08-19-09, 11:25 PM
RANDY P
Driver

It's all about the painter and the prepwork. One thing about Maaco is that those guys do nothing but shoot cars all day, every day. Most of 'em know how to shoot paint well. Don't skimp on prepwork tho.

There's a few Maaco's around here that I wouldn't hesitate taking my car to. There's a few that suck also.

Get a reference to who's doing your work. That itself is the only way to get a handle on the quality.
Old 08-19-09, 11:31 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mostly its about prep so if you prep your car sand/ fill in spots then you send it to maaco im sure the quality wont be that bad. Its just that maaco skimps on prep work, prep where is where all the labor comes in.
Old 08-19-09, 11:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by King7Two

Really?

Correct answer is NO.

Cheap pay = cheap work
Your girlfriend uses her nail polish and paints cars for Maaco?

That does explain a lot of what I have seen roll out of their bays.....
Old 08-20-09, 01:01 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Your girlfriend uses her nail polish and paints cars for Maaco?

That does explain a lot of what I have seen roll out of their bays.....
I actually think her nail polish has more hardener in it than Macco's paint
Old 08-20-09, 02:01 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how much would it cost to have them paint a roof and trunk spoiler....
Old 08-20-09, 04:53 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by King7Two

Really?

Correct answer is NO.

Cheap pay = cheap work
Old 08-20-09, 06:38 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RANDY P
It's all about the painter and the prepwork. One thing about Maaco is that those guys do nothing but shoot cars all day, every day. Most of 'em know how to shoot paint well. Don't skimp on prepwork tho.

There's a few Maaco's around here that I wouldn't hesitate taking my car to. There's a few that suck also.

Get a reference to who's doing your work. That itself is the only way to get a handle on the quality.

I agree with... prep work, like for everything else, is what matters most and will make the end product look great...

Its like a brake caliper.. If you don't clean it and just spray it, it will look crappy as hell.. BUT, if you clean it, sand it down and then spray it, it will look great...

Like in every business, you want to do research.. And in this case, the individual who will be spraying your car..

OP: Good luck on the path you take.

Spending $3000-$5000 on paintjob for a 16yr old car, IMO, isn't the best route to take..

Last edited by Luv2xl; 08-20-09 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-20-09, 07:11 AM
rogsc400
Driver

I got a Maaco paint job with body work............Im pleased so far......I think it depends on which Maaco u go to.......u do pay for what u get......heres a pic of my maaco job..........I had my front bumper fix also my total was about 1200........ PS the whole car was painted........and I also think they do a better job when they r repainting the same color

Old 08-20-09, 07:15 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

maaco sucks. I had a friend get his Probe done. They got overspray on the tails and didn't even tape off his exhaust tips which started a nice chrome and were red when he got it back. The paint looked good for about a year and then started to fade/oxidize horribly even though he waxed it.

Quick Reply: Maaco good for painting SC?