SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Turbo electronics

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-01, 07:08 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo electronics

So if I had, say, $1000 to spend on electronics for my turbo...what should I get? I was thinking APEX'i AVC-R boost controller for $500, S-ITC for $300, Turbo timer $83, and a 14" fan to mount to the intercooler for $30 (constant air).

Thoughts? Anything better?

SR
Old 09-21-01, 07:13 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Oh ya...and what about that new Blitz Power Meter and Boost controller combo....looks like it would kick *** to have. Hmmm.

How can I raise the revlimit on my car without spending a buttload of $$? ECU modification?

SR

(thanks in advance everyone!)
Old 09-22-01, 11:38 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo electronics

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
So if I had, say, $1000 to spend on electronics for my turbo...what should I get? I was thinking APEX'i AVC-R boost controller for $500, S-ITC for $300, Turbo timer $83, and a 14" fan to mount to the intercooler for $30 (constant air).

Thoughts? Anything better?

SR
forget the AVC-R... overpriced gizmo... unless you're specifically getting it for the gear-based boost adjustability

what side are you planning on putting that fan on the IC?
never heard of a fan on a IC; and there's a 90% that there's a good reason for it; most likely because you don't need it... your car won't be boosting from idle dude

oh yeah; HKS makes a rev-cut defender... not sure if its for our cars or not... you may want to find out... Apexi' might have something as well
Old 09-23-01, 06:43 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

we'll I've been reading up on a certain Celica turbo that someone has been working on. Their input-temps to the intake were over 30deg cooler with a fan on the intercooler. (on the back, pulling air thru the front. I will also drill holes in the fan shroud to allow air to flow thru when it exceeds the fan airflow...at say 150mph)

What I'll do is try it with and without and watch the results. I'm also going to hook up a little water-mist nozzle in front of the intercooler to spray on it. This way, when I'm going for high boost pressures, I can have a constant mist on the intercooler which should lower temps even more. I love to try my hand at thermodynamics...and trying to break its laws. lol

Also...at the dragstrip... When you're at 4k getting ready to launch, your turbo is making boost....but no air over the intercooler. Not until you get some decent speed is there....sooooo.....it should help with that situation too.

Also I'm going to be trying the water & alcohol injection and see how well that helps temps. I've seen intake temps drop from 300deg to 150deg JUST from that.

Ya know...with all the switches and buttons and electronics in my car...I'm going to have to write a user operation manual....just in case someone else has to drive my car for some reason!

SR
Old 09-23-01, 11:21 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

What about Haltech E6K? I've read a TON of good things about it... And I can get a hold of one for not much over $1k. This would control my boost, fuel curve, timing curve, turbo timer, nos, etc...it looks like it controls everything, and the PC interface is awesome to be able to use...

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

ANyone out there using a distributor-less ignition on their SC3?

SR
Old 09-24-01, 08:33 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Bean... Why bash the AVC-R? Do you have one on your Lexus?

I've got one and can say first hand that it works flawlessly. Its a bit complicated to setup at first. The increased flexibilty is WELL worth it. If you can't get good results, you're lacking the knowledge to adequately program it, or you have a more complicated sequential system. In addition to gear based boost, the AVC-R has RPM based boost which is important to gain maximum usable boost. Due to the stock ECU ignition timing maps, ignition is retarded at the top end of WOT (5000rpm-6500rpm). This means that you can safely add more boost in this area. How else would you add boost in a specific region? Are you gonna do that with a Profec B? No.

On the Haltech E6K.... Lance raves about this system. I have no reason not to recommend this. Jeff is also planning on going this route. Serious turbo cars will have boost, timing and fuel control in addition to a VPC and G-force ECU upgrade. Now you can get all this in one stand-alone box with data logging and much more flexibility.

The only thing I can think of that would be better is the Speed Pro system that has wide band O2 capability and closed loop operation possible under WOT. All the user has to do is log in the A/F desired at a particular load/rpm and the speed pro does it.
Old 09-24-01, 08:46 PM
bobc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are you expecting with all said and done?
Old 09-24-01, 09:09 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

These initial stages are greatly affected by the stock 5spd / small clutch / open diff / street tires. Upper 12s (1/4mile) are most likely unless you find a clutch that hooks well, or are stupid enough to run slicks on the stock driveline. In that case, low 12s or upper 11s are possible. At this stage, I'm referring to around 400rwhp - which equals around a $7k investment in turbo/electronics/clutch/etc.

These vehicles shine on the highway where the above limitations have no bearing. On a 60+ highway roll, they're pretty darn quick. I would estimate that on a highway roll they will keep up with a domestic with good traction that runs 10s or 11s in the 1/4 mile. This is based on my limited experience with a few 13 second vehicles on the highway. It was not pretty for them.

Some times for my car:
12.7@116.9 (on street tires, stock driveline, 10psi and pump gas before boost controller)

Since then (after boost controller), I've almost doubled the boost on race gas (19psi) with no problems. (Much more power!) Put 10 car lengths on a LS1 powered WS6 between 60-110.

0-60??? Severly traction limited. 4-5 seconds depending on available grip.

Link for 0-60:

http://www.datapathusa.com/scott/wheelspin.MPG

Link for other videos:

http://www.datapathusa.com/scott/scott.html
Old 09-25-01, 09:43 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

I had/have an E6K on my Rx-7 turbo. It does do about everything. It can control boost, but it is not the best system for the job.(i would use a ProfecB, or EVCIV/EZ) It can control NOS, but its coolest features are the following.
Anti-Lag- keep bbost between shifts, from a dead stop etc.(not really good for the motor however
Intercooler fan control
Radiator fan control
Its datalogging is real helpful for tuning
Old 09-25-01, 10:01 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

ahh...intercooler fan. You ever used one? Good luck with it? I was thinking of putting one on my car....

I found with the Haltech I would need SOO many other parts...(fuel injectors, etc) that it was WAY out of my budget for now.

For boost control I want a little more tuning ability than the ProfecB allows...I was almost talked into that by Toyomoto. I went out today...got the APEX'i avc-r, rev/speed meter, S-ITC, and greddy turbo timer. That should be all the electronics I need for now. Oh ya, Supra TT fuel pump too.

Haltech will be a later mod...and I'll likely go with the SP ecu setup from what I've heard. I guess we'll see!

SR
Old 09-25-01, 10:16 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

I never used the options like the ic fan. I still have the Haltech and my turbo(t66) from my rx7 so ifd i dont sell it first, iull be starting out almost immediatly turbo
Old 09-26-01, 06:18 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone have any opinions on the Haltech v.s. Speed PRO system?

I thought that the Speed PRO would allow you to just plug in an air/fuel ratio at a given point on the throttle map and it would hold it, right up to WOT if you'd like. (If you have the wideband 02 option).

Is the Haltech similar to tune, or do you have to work with raw numbers and use trial and error?
Old 09-30-01, 06:12 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Scott,

Maybe I'll know about the Haltech soon enough. I'm thinking about going ahead and buying it now. Then soon as I can get some new fuel injectors, i'll be putting it in.

Maybe I should go ahead and start looking for a new job, so I'll be able to finance all this....but I want to vacation for a while...lol

SR
Old 09-30-01, 07:47 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SC300T
Bean... Why bash the AVC-R? Do you have one on your Lexus?

I've got one and can say first hand that it works flawlessly. Its a bit complicated to setup at first. The increased flexibilty is WELL worth it. If you can't get good results, you're lacking the knowledge to adequately program it, or you have a more complicated sequential system. In addition to gear based boost, the AVC-R has RPM based boost which is important to gain maximum usable boost. Due to the stock ECU ignition timing maps, ignition is retarded at the top end of WOT (5000rpm-6500rpm). This means that you can safely add more boost in this area. How else would you add boost in a specific region? Are you gonna do that with a Profec B? No.
No I don't have one, I almost bought one for my 300zxTT but I didn't want to spend $450 on it... I never said it was hard to program, I said it was overpriced, and it IS...
Why can't I run just a certain amount of boost across the rpm band, period? The profec B is awsome... you can find them used for $250-$300... and to get RPM-based boost you can buy a AVC-D... which is $250 brand new...
from what I've read ignition timing never causes a problem on the turbokits for the 2jz-ge if you run the lower compression headgasket...

if you want to buy everything in one stroke, and you've got either a little money or enough know-how to install and tune it, get the Haltech... it can do all the same things that all these expensive electronics can do including the VPC but better...
the thing is going through the trouble of installing it and tuning it... which is pretty hard on our cars as opposed to an RX-7 or something that actually has published instructions and fuel/timing maps on its installation

Last edited by Bean; 09-30-01 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-01-01, 06:56 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Bean...
There are things the AVC-R can do that the the AVC-D OR Haltech CANT DO...

Traction is a huge problem for our cars... The start duty on the AVC-R allows each gear to have its own starting boost reference point. For instance on high boost mode, I've got 1st gear cut down 50%, 2nd gear cut down like 10%, then full boost.

The boost duty setting allows rpm based curve to be followed. The whole reason for running variable boost is that you're squeezing the maximum available power at all rpms...

If you just set the boost at, say 11psi on my car, you'll get a band of detonation from 4000rpm to 5000rpm. This is due to the timing map in the ECU. Above 5000rpm the ignition is retarded. This allows for more boost at 5000rpm and above.

When you say there are not problems with timing, you're correct, but the timing prohibits you from getting maximum power across the band if you run constant boost.

The low compression gasket is a tradeoff any way you slice it. Your engine makes less power per pound of boost, is lazier off boost. You gain psi, but those psi are worth less than at 10:1. I imagine overall, the maximum power achieved may be higher at 8.5:1.

How are you going to do this with any other controller?
The Haltech won't allow for variable boost or gear based boost. I'm not sure about the AVC-D, but its front panel ***** aren't flexible enough to give near the tuning flexibility.