SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do I really want a Supra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 11:17 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Danima
I used to think I wanted one, until I saw the glory of the SC . Althought a TT Motor and some suspension stuff wouldn't hurt. The SC blends in a lot better in traffic, and that's what I'm aiming for. Less attention = better (to me at least)
Ummh!!! I'm trying very hard to understand your statement "Less attention = better...". Most people want nice cars. Nice cars = more attention. Better or not better depends on individual's preference. Less attention can leave you unattended....LOL
Old 05-21-06, 11:22 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

u could always get a GS300/430 and start modding it with supra mods

like LSD from supra
and turbo kits

and u still keep the luxury
although it wouldnt be fair to compare a 4 door to a 2door though...
Old 05-21-06, 11:47 PM
ridox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a n/a supra 5speed targa top for around two and half years. i do miss it. but i moved on to a sc300 5speed. its basicly the same thing just the sc300 was less then half the cost of my supra... which leaves me with more money to mod my sc300 so far hks coilovers. volks from my supra. next is lsd then a supra 2jzgte swap. i figure ill be happy with it for a while. maybe later i will get a supra again. and have both my favorite cars
Old 05-22-06, 12:14 AM
siphan430
Rookie

I've own both cars, and the sc is perfect for long trips, has all the luxury options, and its spacious. Also used as a daily driver.

The supra is an eye catcher, very reliable, more of a weekend car, it was comfortable until i got the sc. But overall, I love both cars.

I totally agree with Sleeper 97, "...downside is you cant turn a Supra into a luxury car but you can turn an SC300 into a performance car..."
Old 05-22-06, 04:25 AM
cloudnine
Pole Position

A car that draws more attention is in many ways not a "better" car, for those of us who don't want the wrong kind of attention (police and thieves, you know) or don't want or need to impress. Insurance also costs a lot less for an SC.
And yeah, I agree that you can't turn a Supra into a luxury car but you can turn an SC300 into a performance car.
Old 05-22-06, 06:53 AM
scsrock
Pole Position

What make SC an SC? I think it's the slim body and the Lexus logo. Unique! It's an art!
Still, I think SC must be lowered with a set of nice after-market wheels (18"/19" is perfect).

I like that RED SC!
Old 05-22-06, 07:06 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

curious what the insurance was like compared to the sc for the NA and the TT
Old 05-22-06, 07:22 AM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scsrock
so my next car will be 1-owner '98 5-sp SC300 (50K miles), though only no-brain person would sell such a car.
Automatic only for 98+ SC300
Old 05-22-06, 07:44 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I always thought I wanted a Supra. But these days, with some of the SC's on here - I would prefer a built SC300 with a nice kit and wheels over a Supra.

If I had $40,000 to spend - it would be used on a built up SC, not an already done Supra.

jonny
Old 05-22-06, 08:04 AM
scsrock
Pole Position

Too bad. No 98' 5-sp? 97? ... whatever, i just want one with the newest (black) interior (and the rear lens like the RED), and will settle with it for good.

A few things I don't like about my SC:

- Driver seat leather looks old (how and where to get it replaced?)
- Corner lights (don't know how to make them into fog lights)
- Rear lens (want it to look like those of the RED SC)

Wish that someone with a mod'ed SC is living nearby so that I can learn a bit from (SC's owners in Portland?)

The mechanical condition is so great that it's hard to trade it in for another SC (but I guess you would say the same about yours). Seems like all SC's are very realiable. Also, I am not sure if I like a 5-sp or automatic (my back hurts, but it's fun).
Old 05-22-06, 09:19 AM
Drocay
Pole Position

1. hmm buy a leather kit from leatherseats.com i think its a vendor on here.
2. Hook them up to your sidemarkers, Retrofit em with aftermarket, or just buy some 95-96 corner lights that were ment as fogs.
3. Rear lens u got two options if u like the one on the red car thats 97+ Taillights go to your dealer and get your self some, or get some 95 Taillights in my opinion they look the best.
Old 05-22-06, 10:53 AM
scsrock
Pole Position

1. Install the leather seat myself? Too risky. I'll probably have to look for a pro to do it for me.
2. Too busy to navigate all the wires or remove the front bumper. I asked Lexus dealer, and they refused to do it. So, I'll have to look for a pro to do it for me too.
3. Lexus dealer said they weren't sure if those (97+) rear lens would fit. They said they could order them for me ($130/piece as I remember), and I would need to install them myself. But someone in this forum said they wouldn't fit. Haven't queried the 95 lens yet. So, this may work. (I intend to have the lens tinned, like windows)

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-22-06, 11:27 AM
scsrock
Pole Position

It's a practical consideration. Sometime, it would be more cost-effective to have someone to do it (because I am not very skilled in this area). That's how people earn your business.
Many people have someone else to move and trim the lawn for them (including me). It's not because they can't do it; it's simply more cost-effective to let someone in that profession to do it for you.

Did you install the leather seat yourself? I like to know how nice the leather from leatherseats.com look, compared to that of newer cars.
Old 05-22-06, 01:35 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cloudnine
... the wrong kind of attention (police and thieves, you know)...
That's exactly what I'm talking about . That's part of the reason I like my old T-Type, other than the rumble of the exhaust, it just appears to be another Regal.
Old 05-22-06, 03:07 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by cloudnine
A car that draws more attention is in many ways not a "better" car, for those of us who don't want the wrong kind of attention (police and thieves, you know) or don't want or need to impress. Insurance also costs a lot less for an SC.
And yeah, I agree that you can't turn a Supra into a luxury car but you can turn an SC300 into a performance car.
Of course nobody wants much attentions from police and thieves, but there's nothing free in this world. Everything has its trade-off. For example, if you can afford a new Corvette Z06, Ferrari, Lamborghini, a new Lexus SUV, or even a new Mercedes S series....., you'll surely catch attention. So if you like a certain nice car and are into the nice/beautiful shape of it, that car has to be somewhat nicer/hotter than other cars. Some people drive certain hot cars but that doesn't mean they want to catch attention. They just love those cars themselves. Unless you drive a regular Toyota Corolla, then you might blend in with other cars. However, if you drive a 2005 Corolla and with somebody drives a 1985 Corolla, you'll still catch attention from that 1985 Corolla driver. And this concludes my point.

Quick Reply: Do I really want a Supra?