SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do I really want a Supra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 02:32 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I really want a Supra?

I have seen plenty since joining this forum. Some thing informative and some things disturbing. I love my SC, because of its sporty looks and luxury. Some of my club mates have seem to be in some type of "I really wanted a Supra" denial. If this is the case instead of modding a Lexus to Supra Specs and looks....why not buy a Supra?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217828

this was the needle that broke the camel's back. Don't get me wrong I love Supras but I am really curious if any club mates really enjoy these Supra “like” mods (outside of engine swaps) or do you really want a Supra?
Old 05-21-06, 02:42 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i really want a supra... REALLY REALLY REALLY want one...

interestingly enough- there are 7... SEVEN SC300's for sale in the classifieds right now.
Old 05-21-06, 08:40 AM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want a supra. But i will not pay tens of thousands over what its worth for a turbo supra to own one, nor will i pay a few thousand over what they're worth for an NA, espicially when they're usually in **** condition.
Old 05-21-06, 08:42 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

I used to think I wanted one, until I saw the glory of the SC . Althought a TT Motor and some suspension stuff wouldn't hurt. The SC blends in a lot better in traffic, and that's what I'm aiming for. Less attention = better (to me at least)
Old 05-21-06, 09:55 AM
Drocay
Pole Position

i dont want a supra, i want a Sc400 with 2j in engine bay for me thats about as sexy as it gets.
Old 05-21-06, 11:52 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Drocay
i dont want a supra, i want a Sc400 with 2j in engine bay for me thats about as sexy as it gets.
Why not a 300?
Old 05-21-06, 12:12 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not me.
First, a really nice Supra is hard to find. WHen you do they want more than it's worth.
Next, to me a modded sc looks netter than a supra. That look going down the road is boss.
Last, building the sc to supra type performance should be more rewarding when it's done.

Both great cars but I lean more toward sport luxury. I would jump on the supra as a second car, though.
Old 05-21-06, 12:52 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

i used to have an NA supra. i can honestly say i like my SC ALOT more than the supra. owning a TT would be a completely different story though.
Old 05-21-06, 01:55 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Why not a 300?
Cuz i dont have a 300. HAHA.
Old 05-21-06, 06:25 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rscott
i used to have an NA supra. i can honestly say i like my SC ALOT more than the supra. owning a TT would be a completely different story though.
Why not have it ALL?

For these reasons & more is why I built my car.

Reasons for NOT having a supra:
Hate climing up to get out.
Anybody w/ wheels (2 or 4) wants to race you.
No room for my sons car seat.
No real trunk
No wood grain accents - GOTTA love the wood.
Draws unwanted attn. (reads law enforcement)
Targa tops are a P.I.A. & when off you have NO trunk.
AND
"its THAT car from the MOVIE" PUKE!
that statement alone will keep me from buying one.

I'll fix them, just wont own one.
Old 05-21-06, 06:30 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I'd rather have a Supra than a built SC. ****, I had a built single full APU 6 speed SC, and I woul dhave traded it for a stock twin 6 speed supra. Supras will always hold there values and be worth money, SCs only depreciate.

Even though I sold my SC, I still couldn't afford a stock 6 speed supra in good condition, so i bought a 4 door .
Old 05-21-06, 06:44 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to own a 1997 SC300 5spd , red before selling it for the Supra. Comming from an integra the Sc300 felt huge and heavy and definitely feels like the 2jZ-GE motor needs more power to pull 3500lbs. , but it was a definite upgrade in luxury and performance potential. My problem was that i am not ready for a luxury car yet and more into full sport performance.Both cars have their advantages and disadvantages, also knowing the Supra was one of my favorite cars growing up, to be able to own one is a great feeling.

The SC will give you luxury and performance but major upgrades must be considered for serious performance such as 2jZ-GTE or NA-T. and also brake upgrades, but you get luxury and can sit passengers more comfortably, not sure about the back seats.

The Supra TT, you get the whole performance package, Toyota did not go cheap on any of the parts in this car, top of the line Transmission capable of holding more than decent power. A motor that is considered legendary in performance and reliability, also the car is one of the most exotic cars that ever came out of Japan to hit U.S. Shores, downside is you cant turn a Supra into a luxury car but you can turn an SC300 into a performance car with the right amount of modifications but can be costly.

THE SC

The Supra

Last edited by Sleeper97; 05-21-06 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-21-06, 08:33 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Sleeper, that's a great summary. btw, both of those rides are awesome looking.
Old 05-21-06, 10:11 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Actually I was looking to purchase Supra TT but availability and price I opt for SC and I NEVER looked back, Im very pleased with my decision.

Even some supra owners have seen and drove my turbo SC they want to get one.
Old 05-21-06, 10:39 PM
scsrock
Pole Position

A friend of mine has a powerful Supra (700HP), but he was still jealous when he heard the SC sound system. He got his '96 Supra TT for $35K in 2002 (with additional 30K in mods later), I got mine ('94 5-sp SC300) for 9.5K in 2003 (no mods yet).

I thought I would never use Supra parts, but just found out the KYB AGX shocks are only available for Supra. Too bad.

I am jealous when I see nicer SC's ... motivation for me to do something to mine ... so my next car will be 1-owner '98 5-sp SC300 (50K miles), though only no-brain person would sell such a car.

Quick Reply: Do I really want a Supra?