SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

another power windows issue :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-06, 05:51 PM
blaktony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another power windows issue :(

Ok im getting really frustrated at my power windows.

I used the search function on this site and looked at every power windows thread on the subject but still my windows do not work.

Here is the story:

One day out of the blue my power windows quit working. Both sides. They use to work perfectly and had normal speed then BAM stopped working.

I checked ALL the fuses in the engine bay and kick panel except the fuses under the seat. I applied power to both windows and they will roll up and down fine. I even bought a new master power window switch on ebay and that didnt solve the problem. I even checked to see if there was a severed wire in the door hinge points but I couldnt see anything wrong.

Please does anyone have any ideas? The only I can think of is if there is a power window relay somewhere or possibly a bad harness. How would I go troubleshooting the harness? Does anyone have a copy of the factory service repair manual anywhere?

-Tony
Old 05-27-06, 07:40 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by blaktony
Ok im getting really frustrated at my power windows.

I used the search function on this site and looked at every power windows thread on the subject but still my windows do not work.

Here is the story:

One day out of the blue my power windows quit working. Both sides. They use to work perfectly and had normal speed then BAM stopped working.

I checked ALL the fuses in the engine bay and kick panel except the fuses under the seat. I applied power to both windows and they will roll up and down fine. I even bought a new master power window switch on ebay and that didnt solve the problem. I even checked to see if there was a severed wire in the door hinge points but I couldnt see anything wrong.

Please does anyone have any ideas? The only I can think of is if there is a power window relay somewhere or possibly a bad harness. How would I go troubleshooting the harness? Does anyone have a copy of the factory service repair manual anywhere?

-Tony
Your statement is a little confusing when you wrote: "... I applied power to both windows and they will roll up and down fine..." If you're sure the power is working properly, then this problem isn't electrical problem. In many cases, the clips that hold the lock cables to the locks got broken. From the inside, open up each entire panel, trace the lock cable from the black handle to the end, you'll see a clear/white plastic piece that holds the cable to the rail & an aluminum rod. That clear/white plastic usually causes the problem. It's supposed to hold the lock cable and the "rod" that pulls up and down the lock. So when it's broken, there's nothing to touch and pull the lock. Take that plastic piece to a Lexus dealer and buy a new one. Each costs only around $10. When you put it back on, verify that the aluminum rod to the lock isn't bent. If it's bent, then bend it up in its correct position. Don't break it. If you break it, get ready to spend an additional $400 for each lock. Good luck!
Old 05-28-06, 02:27 PM
nimit1234
Driver

i think he means he applied 12v motor with the door panel off and it went up and down fine.. Just his car is not giving the motor any power.. If you cant figure it out, rewire the whole damn thing.. HAHA
Old 05-28-06, 04:41 PM
blaktony
Driver School Candidate

yes i used a battery charger as a 12v source to make sure the motors work, and they do. nothing is wrong mechanically here, its defintley an electrical issue.

Again, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the windows or know where the power window relay is located?

Thankyou,

Tony
Old 05-28-06, 05:42 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Just a guess, but I bet the power feed wire to the drivers side window switch is broken
in the door jam. If you have a test light check for power @ the switch. It will be one of the
fat wires - forget what color. (WHT/red ??) Research again I know the color is mentioned.

If you want to visually inspect the harness. Remove the left kick panel, unplug the door
harness connectors. Feed it out, around the hinge & remove the rubber boot. The
wire will be severed or rotten. Pull on suspect rotten wires, the outer sheathing will
strech like a piece of gum.
Old 05-28-06, 06:04 PM
ProjeKT SC
Rookie

i recently fixed my electrical problem with the windows. the problem was that the switch would switch when i press the drivers side but the passengers didnt. Neither of them went down or up. i found out it was the ground that some how snapped in the door jam. so i soldered another wire to lengthen the ground wire to the harness. and BAMM! the window works.
Old 05-29-06, 08:55 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on fixing the problem. This might help for future reference: http://planetsoarer.com/workshop/workshop.htm
Good Luck
Old 06-06-09, 12:36 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post window

Originally Posted by SCSpeed
Your statement is a little confusing when you wrote: "... I applied power to both windows and they will roll up and down fine..." If you're sure the power is working properly, then this problem isn't electrical problem. In many cases, the clips that hold the lock cables to the locks got broken. From the inside, open up each entire panel, trace the lock cable from the black handle to the end, you'll see a clear/white plastic piece that holds the cable to the rail & an aluminum rod. That clear/white plastic usually causes the problem. It's supposed to hold the lock cable and the "rod" that pulls up and down the lock. So when it's broken, there's nothing to touch and pull the lock. Take that plastic piece to a Lexus dealer and buy a new one. Each costs only around $10. When you put it back on, verify that the aluminum rod to the lock isn't bent. If it's bent, then bend it up in its correct position. Don't break it. If you break it, get ready to spend an additional $400 for each lock. Good luck!
does this have to do with anything about the window or did he confuse the door locks with something. i noticed upon inspecting mine that there was a rod not connected but didnt think that it had anything to do with the window and everything had been working if it didnt have anything to do with it so i didnt look into it any further trying to figure my window problem.
Old 06-06-09, 07:03 AM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

i have the same problem and in order for me to roll up my window i have to have my driver side door open at a certain area then it would roll up... weird but yes.