SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Please respond. 6-speed trans in SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-01, 08:26 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To dial them...since they're in Australia...you've gotta dial the international dialing code first....so add "011" to the beginning of that number and it'll work. Also remember, they're 14hrs ahead of east coast US time. Well maybe 15...i'm not sure if they're on savings or not right now, I don't think so. If so, then I called my cousin last night at a little later than I thought.

SR
Old 09-25-01, 08:41 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC400Turbo I have to disagree on the turbo part

to build a SC400 turbo motor to handle 800hp would be A LOT of money... being a V-type engine there is a lot more involved with the fuel system, the intake system, the ECU stuff, etc... and no one makes parts for it...

parts are running around all over the place for the 2jz

yes you CAN make more power with the 1uz motor in the end... but its going to cost a lot more money; and it will also produce a lot more useless torque (which the I6 motor already has enough of)... imagine wheelspin problems being even more pronounced...

plus there are kits ready to go for the 2jz and there are NONE for the 1uz... which would most likely be a twin turbo setup (or a complicated 2 into 1 manifold like a Grand National/Z31Turbo; and therefore be even more expensive)
to build a 800hp 2jz will cost nearly half as much as a 800hp 1uz motor... since EVERYTHING including a 2 into 1 intercooler (or seperate ICs for each turbo), the fuel system, Haltech install(1uz ECU is different), etc, etc,etc,etc will be a custom job

SC300Turbo's whole point was that its MUCH cheaper and MUCH less work to just get a SC300 5-speed and be done with it

let it be known that any 400 series Lexus is NOT a tuner/turbo friendly car since they are the only ones that share that engine series which includes the transmissions, driveshafts, differentials, ECUs, etc... which is cool if you got the $$$; but if you're on a budget or a semi-budget (ie you don't swim in your money like Uncle Scrooge)

Last edited by Bean; 09-25-01 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-25-01, 09:33 PM
SC400Turbo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400

I never said I totally disagreed with him... Maybe I didnt say it right... I just disagreed with the making more power in general.. yes the SC300 can make more power easier, faster and less money if all you want is 400 - 600hp. So I do agree that "SC300Turbo's whole point was that its MUCH cheaper and MUCH less work to just get a SC300 5-speed and be done with it".

When it comes to extreme power, you will have to do the same as you would a SC400, ECU, Transmission, build motor, etc.. Yes i will cost less to build a I-6 vs a V-8, but im not counting the pennies. Let just say to fully build a I-6 caost you 4000, then a V-8 would cost 5500.. So you got 2 more pistons, rods, etc...

Also it depends on the persons approach. Ive had this conversation in another thread here at clublexus. I feel there are 2 approaches you can take 1 have a shop install your kit or 2 make it yourself. If I were to pay a shop to turbo mys SC400 it cost me bigtime. But I'm doing most of the work. I have estimated the basic kit to cost me about 6000 to make. Thats included the tools required.

I understand that the SC400 isnt a very tuner friendly car, in stock form. Replace the ECU and transmission control ECU and trust me it wll be very friendly.

I'm kinda going on a tagent here... let me stop... So yes I agree with him up to a point, but then it depends on the approach and the level of power you want to obtain.
Old 09-25-01, 10:05 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default hope u make it man

I really hope u make it man...if u do get considerable amounts of power out of a TT 1UZ-FE you'll be the first owner to do it. I am not comparing this to Mechtech or the HKS TT V8s but I am sure you'll be the first worldwide to lay down serious power out of a V8 TT lexus engine. I did a lot of research about this particular subject and to tell u the truth I do have to side with the SC300 turbo owners and tuners on this. Even if you are loaded and will do the work yourself, custom manufacturing exhaust, manifolds, tuning and getting the power u expect takes a lot of trial and error...there is no way an SC300TT cannot match the performance u expect out of the V8 not because of parts availability but just mere past experience on supras. What u say just doesn't make sense to me. If u do it it will be for the sole purpose of being the FIRST one to do it "right" I guess...since others have tried but haven't been successful.

Again good luck.

Old 09-25-01, 10:40 PM
SC400Turbo
Driver

Default Thanks

Thanks for the luck.

I'll keep you guys posted.

SC300TURBO lives in my area so when I'm done, well put the SC300 and the SC400 to the test. Friendly competition of course...
Old 09-26-01, 04:55 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

oh hell yess.....im in......but dont be like MO..sc400turbo...dont go talking big and making empty promises untill your up and running without breaking or popping motors....let me remind you i have the nitrous on the car and im going to haltech and a bigger turbo so that 400 better be pushing some big power....

as far as the 5spd and 6spd..i have heard of the austriallian company that puts the 5spd...but the 6spd dosent bolt to the 5spd bell housing....so the bell housing you buy will bolt to the 400 block but not to the 6spd tranny itself..understand?....also the flywheel ..they are different flywheels on the 5spd and 6spd...i dont think they bolt up to the 400 crank.....hope ya got alot of money to spend....Jeff
Old 09-26-01, 07:41 PM
SC400Turbo
Driver

Your right I shouldnt be talking until I have something more solid to compete with. I get a little excited sometimes . The 6-spd would just be a nice to have if it was easy to do, with a kit i mean. Though I prefer stick, automatics are the best choice for the quarter mile. Oh and I have Nitrous too!!! But its sitting on my garage floor, lol
Old 09-26-01, 08:21 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

What about using a Tundra V5 5-speed transmission to start with, then change some parts for speed.?
Old 09-26-01, 08:24 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

I mean a Tundra V-8, not V-5 LOL, spelling error, I swear
Old 09-26-01, 09:00 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering the same thing,but wasn't sure if the truck came with a manual trans.
Old 09-27-01, 10:11 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

It does come with a 5-speed, but only for the V-6 engine. Damn.

Last edited by abutler696; 09-27-01 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-27-01, 11:33 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

I tried calling Dellow at 011-02-977-444-19. Is this not right?
Old 09-27-01, 01:12 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just for the record, no one makes high performance pistons for the Lexus V8 motor... it will cost a bit more than $5500 to build the motor
and we're not just talking pistons here either, the rods, the crank, the whole block will have to be machined to handle the power, maybe even a custom cast block... i'm not sure how HKS has their TT V8 but you can bet that that engine is about as closely related to a Lexus V8 as a Honda 4cyl in terms of stockness

their block is custom cast i believe, etc...

so its not just the pistons or whatever that might need to be replaced, the block might not be built to make that kind of power... i know you're prolly not interested in making that kind of power with your car but we don't know enough about the 1uz to know where the line is to be drawn on when systems need to be replaced...
you going to be the guinea pig?
look at the 300zxTT engine, as far as engine systems go its more advanced than the 2jz, but it won't make near the same amount of power no matter what you do... the block and whole engine set up is not engineered to make that kind of power... on the other hand, the RB26DETT is and thats why you see them making 1400hp with them in Japan and running mid 8s on street tires

Last edited by Bean; 09-27-01 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-27-01, 03:22 PM
Giro
I am banned.

Uhhh the 1uzfe has forged rods, pistons and crank. so it is not like the inside of a civic engine the 2jzge doestnt even have forged stuff inside in it. The 2jz-gte has heat treated stuff not sure about the 2jz-ge but it defitanly does not have forged rods and pistons like teh 1uzfe. Also the stock internals are very strong there is a 1uz-fe in a speed boat with twin blowers that is making 700hp on a stock bottom end.
Old 09-27-01, 07:21 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Great news, I just contacted Dellow a minute ago. They told me that everything needed for the conversion to a 5-speed will be less than $600. They will fax me a list of all the parts needed and their prices by tommorow morning I will have it and if you would like I will post it up on here.....Adam

Quick Reply: Please respond. 6-speed trans in SC400?