SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

'96+ grill material - the thread i thought i'd never have to make

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 09:57 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '96+ grill material - the thread i thought i'd never have to make

So my target kit will be here soon and I was getting ready to buy the 97+ grill and fogs when I happened upon a used wise sports bumper with everything I need =) The only problem is the previous owner painted the grill white....yeah, really, wtf?

Anyhow, I searched and searched but alas, could not find the answer to my question.....is the grill plastic or is it actually metal? Better yet, since I had to make a thread for this, what have you guys done as far as paint on the grill, be it plastic or metal? If it's metal, I plan to go get it powdercoated that gold chrome color like my emblems. If it's plastic I....well...i dunno, what have you guys done?
Attached Thumbnails '96+ grill material - the thread i thought i'd never have to make-wise2.jpg  
Old 05-29-06, 10:07 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not 100% sure but all lexus grills are made out of metal. If you sand down the grill you get that polished metal underneath. It's just like the GS grills, they sand down the grille to get the chrome underneath..
Old 05-29-06, 10:08 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll take it off your hands for really cheap but what you can do is search the for sale forums and there should be one piece for sale. Check ebay too.
Old 05-29-06, 10:23 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

well, i figure i'll just sand the white paint off and go from there. I'm gonna repaint the car white and keep the gold package emblems so my goal is to gold chrome the grill in a tasteful way.

edit: i just realized I didn't mention that I already bought the wise sports bumper above. I'm taking the grill, fogs and side markers but if anyone is looking for a pretty rare front
Old 05-29-06, 10:26 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Good luck with the repaint. I think its metal, cause ive seen those little grills going for almost 70 bucks. So for that price i would imagine it being that expensive. Btw how much did you get that bumper for, that is if you dont mind me asking?
Old 05-29-06, 10:33 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jewtheist
Good luck with the repaint. I think its metal, cause ive seen those little grills going for almost 70 bucks. So for that price i would imagine it being that expensive. Btw how much did you get that bumper for, that is if you dont mind me asking?
It was pretty cheap but it's not in mint condition....also it's hard to pinpoint the exact price because it was in yen and then there's domestic shipping in Japan as well as international shipping to the U.S. My goal is to get it over here, take parts I need, and then sell the bumper to basically break even. The more useful thing I picked up with it is one of those sunroof shades......I can't wait to slap that thing on so I can use my sunroof without getting blasted with air or too much light.
Old 05-29-06, 10:37 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

What parts of the bumper are you gonna sell?
Old 05-29-06, 10:58 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jewtheist
What parts of the bumper are you gonna sell?
the bumper itself, i just need the grill, fogs, and side markers.
Old 05-29-06, 11:20 PM
Sc400on20s
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly, it's plastic.
Old 05-29-06, 11:21 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Roo check your PM.
Old 05-30-06, 06:04 AM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much will you be selling the bumper for?
Old 05-30-06, 06:47 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sc400on20s
If I remember correctly, it's plastic.
Yeah. I remember it being really light
Old 05-30-06, 07:23 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is plastic.

you could always go to your nearest auto store and buy the car trim and go over it...it's basically the same thing. They're cheap and they have it in gold too.

Last edited by Batmobile; 05-30-06 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-30-06, 11:14 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Batmobile
it is plastic.

you could always go to your nearest auto store and buy the car trim and go over it...it's basically the same thing. They're cheap and they have it in gold too.

hmmmm, that's an option. if it's plastic, it's gonna be hard to paint.....in those pics, the trip is only on the middle bar, right? I'm going to need the outer "frame" gold so i don't know if that'll work...

Last edited by roo; 05-30-06 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-30-06, 12:12 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Good luck with the repaint. I think its metal, cause ive seen those little grills going for almost 70 bucks. So for that price i would imagine it being that expensive.
Lol, that logic is very flawed my man. I have a flimsy little piece of green paper here in my hand worth $100, and it's only made of paper, not even plastic...it's a hundred dollar bill. The weight/composition of the object has nothing to do with price/worth, I learned that a long time ago with Lexus

That grill is plastic...it looks like it's made of metal but I've examined mine closely and it's definitely plastic. Another tell tale sign is that you can't screw it into the bumber too hard or the screw-holes on the backside of the grill will crack, it's definitely plastic Roo

Quick Reply: '96+ grill material - the thread i thought i'd never have to make