SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Key stuck in the ignition.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 09:41 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by etggolf
Youre right... Once I reconnected the battery, it went back to the same "key stuck" mode. What did your cousin do to correct the problem?
This happened on my old 1990 Honda Accord automatic. The problem was that the shift position switch was malfunctioning. The switch recognizes when the car is in park and is linked to the key ignition and lets the key slide out. You might want to check out the switch to see if it got unplugged. I also remember in my accord that when the key would not come out, the PARK light was not lit up, I just jiggled the shifter up and down until the light came on and then I was able to take the key out.
Old 06-01-06, 09:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Looks like Im Taking a trip to Lexus.... UGH! It seems like everytime I go there I get banged for a grand or two.
The good news is that I have an entire parts car fully stripped, which means I have every lock, steering column, keyless, cylinder, all in a box sitting beside me fully stripped and boxed in individual boxes with labels.

The bad news is that if I get the keyless system from the other car to work on this one, I'm keeping all the locks since the FOB is built in to the master key.

If I don't succeed (something is currently not working correctly) I'll list it in the classifieds. Also, place a WTB or PM aliga in the classifieds since he deals with parts cars and likely has the same setup already handy

Good luck.

PS- might not be the lock cyl at all, check the shift lock mechanism by removing the shift lock button on the shifter plate and trying to manually release it back into park and turn the key.
Old 06-02-06, 10:09 AM
etggolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couldnt wait...

Car is at the dealership now.... Getting ready to bend over.

Also went to the parts department to get prices on rear deck replacement speakers and they told me that they were no longer available. Im also getting a price quote to fix the air conditioning. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-02-06, 10:26 AM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

I doubt park is all the way engaged.. Happened when I was messing with my console (taking things out) and driving w/o the normal "guides" for the shifter mech. It showed park, but it wasn't fully engaged.
Old 06-02-06, 04:51 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

install a terminal to the negative, and put the switch in the car, just kill it when u have the motor off

MUCH cheaper
Old 06-02-06, 05:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by ConSynX
install a terminal to the negative, and put the switch in the car, just kill it when u have the motor off

MUCH cheaper
G-H-E-T-T-O
Old 06-02-06, 07:30 PM
etggolf
Driver School Candidate

Default If it was a Honda or Ford maybe...

Originally Posted by ConSynX

MUCH cheaper

This sounds like something I would have done to my Mustang GT when I was young... Im a grown man now and doing something like that to a such a beautiful car like a Lexus just doesnt sound right.
Old 06-02-06, 10:01 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Slightly off-topic, but.....

Car is at the dealership now.... Getting ready to bend over.
Also went to the parts department to get prices on rear deck replacement speakers and they told me that they were no longer available.
There is no need to buy OEM speakers.
Almost any brand of replacement speakers at Circuit city, Best Buy, etc. will work as well or better, and cost much less.

There are plenty of posts on these forums on how to remove the rear seat to replace them.
If you don't want to do it, any good car stereo shop can.
Old 06-03-06, 03:35 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mine was doing this and

while the car was in park I could move the shifter from right to left (gently but w/ pressure) and you would hear / feel a slight click and it would work... Was kind of a pain but worked until a buddy of mine borrowed it and stopped at a friend of his shop and he said it was sometype of solenoid and fixed it in about 20 mins... Said normally would be 250-300...
Old 06-03-06, 07:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,079 Likes on 971 Posts

Since the stereo was being worked on, I assume the center console was pulled apart. It is possible that the shift lever (actually the park sensing switch) is not indicating park. Happened to me while working on stereo. There was a stray wire in the way.

If the problem persists, just disassemble the console and give it a good visual. In retrospect, I should have looked at the in-dash gear position bulb (signal from the switch goes to computer and the bulb and key release.

Salim
Old 06-03-06, 09:42 PM
etggolf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Since the stereo was being worked on, I assume the center console was pulled apart. It is possible that the shift lever (actually the park sensing switch) is not indicating park. Happened to me while working on stereo. There was a stray wire in the way.

Kind of figured that too after a Honda service manager buddy of mine told me this was more than likely the problem... but too late now as its in the hands of Longo Lexus.
Old 06-08-06, 09:07 PM
etggolf
Driver School Candidate

Default $1000.00

Just got a call from the Longo Lexus service rep and he told me that it wasnt a bad solenoid and that the issue was a sensor or something to that fact down inside the working mechanism. I need to replace the shifter ($750 parts / $250 labor). Its getting to the point to where Im afraid to sneeze inside the car cause it'll cost me. This may have been the straw that broke "mommas" back and I may have to say farewell to my SC...
Old 10-03-06, 04:36 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

same thing just happened to me. I believe it was the result of me having the console dismantled due to a stereo install. I turned it on cause its been a few days and I like to let it get up to temperature, but I did not re-connect anything having to do with the shifter. Well, I had to pull the battery cable to get the key out, re-plugged everything back in having to do with the shifter, and the key came out normally.
Old 10-03-06, 05:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

FYI to everyone removing the console. When you stick it back together sometimes the car does not fully engage in park. If you push the *****-matic forward a little you'll notice the key will turn.

Happened to me many times.
Old 09-10-21, 12:23 PM
Mookie32
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Try this. I believe this is what i did to release the key. Turn the car on. Turn the wheel all the way to the left. Turn the car off. While holding the key with your right hand try turning the wheel even more to the left with your left hand, as you do this, the mechanism should release the key.

thanks so much u just helped me