SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I have had a very busy couple of days (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 10:54 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the compliments! This is the fourth time I have had a car painted. I just recently had my truck done and the guy who did the truck offered up a good price to paint the Lexus since he was a little slow at the time. So I went ahead and had it done. I liked the original color of the car. But I decided to change it due to the interior being so close to the exterior color. It looked nice, but was a bit too "Tan" for my tastes. When I was looking through the paint book the Moonglow Pearl literally jumped off the page. It looks great when the sun hits it.

The door jams, under the hood, and the inside the trunk have all been painted. I am doing all of the sanding and buffing myself. Seems that's the only way to get it the way I want it. There was some orange peel. But nothing that can't be taken out. There is plenty of clear on the car. Once I get it completely done I will take it to a much nicer location and get some real good pictures. I love the pictures above with the hood half buffed. I am going to do the emblems in black and put them back on. They are gold and they just don't look right on the new color. I think black will stand off great. The windows will be re done in the near future. I noticed in the pics that they are a little purple. It's funny because they don't look that purple in person.

Well I better get back to it or I will never get it done.
Old 06-04-06, 10:59 AM
Chawk60
Pole Position

Just to reiterate....wonderful job!!! It looks awesome.
Old 06-04-06, 11:40 AM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

wow that looks great! that pic where you buffed half the hood shows an amazing difference. how much time did you spend doing it?
Old 06-04-06, 11:49 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Awesome work man! keep it up.
Old 06-04-06, 11:56 AM
WebStarr
Pole Position

The car looks great. There is either a Landcruiser or LX470 in my area with the same paint color. It looks great. By the way, what Lexus center caps are you using on your TT wheels?
Old 06-04-06, 12:04 PM
BiZ
Intermediate

Hain --I have about twelve to fifteen hours into the sanding. Once the clear is fully cured it is some tough stuff.

WebStarr --The center caps are the ones from my factory Lexus wheels pictured in the first pics posted. They don't fit perfect, but they do fit. The Lexus center caps are flat The TT ones are domed, so it looks a little funny.
Old 06-04-06, 12:12 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

damn BiZ, you should get a bunch of people over and help you sand. Everyone get a panel. It's much faster having some help. I'd help you out if I was down there. haha.
And I think the look of those center caps makes it look different, not exactly weird, its a good look.
Old 06-04-06, 12:20 PM
BiZ
Intermediate

I hear ya, the sanding is all done now. Now it's all buffing. Although I should have started with 1000 grit but the compound I had was for removing 1500 grit or finer scratches.

Last edited by BiZ; 06-05-06 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-04-06, 02:09 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow looks very nice. I didnt know the Lexus center caps fit the TT wheels. Very nice. Awesome clay bar work.
Old 06-04-06, 04:25 PM
BiZ
Intermediate

I haven't used the clay bar yet. Just 1500 grit and some H2O.
Old 06-04-06, 09:59 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by One HoT
Amazing work..Nice transformation... Done right the first time...
Agreed, thats smooth as hell!
Old 06-05-06, 11:00 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ~SC~
that champane was sweet buddy..

It was a very nice color, no doubt. Maybe I should have just changed the interior instead.
Old 06-05-06, 11:16 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

hey looks great. its amzing how a little work can make the SC look so much nicer
Old 06-05-06, 08:15 PM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

hey, i love your car and i have a question for you guys my buddy just painted my car graphite grey, and he didn't buff it, he hasnt had the time and i would like to do it my self, could you guys give me some guidance on buffing a car, the car has been primered, painted, and clear coated. he started to buff parts of it but its still pretty dull. any tips would be appreiated thanks!
Old 06-06-06, 04:21 AM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by technol
hey, i love your car and i have a question for you guys my buddy just painted my car graphite grey, and he didn't buff it, he hasnt had the time and i would like to do it my self, could you guys give me some guidance on buffing a car, the car has been primered, painted, and clear coated. he started to buff parts of it but its still pretty dull. any tips would be appreiated thanks!
I've used 1500 and 2000 grit to wetsand. But I think BiZ said he should've started with 1000 on his. Not sure how it depends. Is there very much orange peel? After wetsanding just go at it with the rubbing compound and an electric buffer.
Oh, and if your going to do it yourself, it's going to take a hell of a long time to get everything done. Find some buddies to help you sand.

Quick Reply: I have had a very busy couple of days (PICS)