SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Undertray and Custom X-Brace (spit-balling here)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-06, 08:30 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Undertray and Custom X-Brace (spit-balling here)

First and foremost, this is just spit balling. It's not going to turn into a group buy or something, and if I in fact do produce CAD files or something of that nature (I'd prefer a 3D model) I'll release it in a GPL of sorts. (all you open source geeks are right there with me, right?)

I've been getting into F1 this past year, and been considering some aerodynamic & suspension elements for the SC, which are to date, undeveloped.

I think that some under car work might yield some good results.

Pros:
1) Less chassis flex
2) Better handling due to the "ground effect" of having air flow underneath the car in a less turbulent fashion
3) Improved gas economy (seriously spitballing here)
4) One freaking huge skid plate

Cons:
1) Working underneath the car would require an extra step of removing the panel (not a huge deal)
2) Heat: with the exhaust no longer in open air it will have to be dealt with (see below for possible solution)

Solving the problem of heat I believe could be resolved by completely heat-coating the exhaust from the cat back. An added bonus of this heat coating is increased exhaust temps which in turn A) cause a better functioning cat B) an increase in exhaust velocity

Obviously it would be stupid to coat the stock exhaust system, so this would be a great time to do a magnaflow or other exhaust setup of sorts.

I would love to figure out a rear diffuser, they make one for the MKIV Supra, but I'm not sure of the feasibility... but the idea of creating a vortex of air behind the car as it travels down the highway at 70 MPH just sounds like too much fun. I've heard the vortex is strong enough to pull random bits of trash in tow

The X-frame system I'm imagining would not only provide increased rigidity, but also would serve as mounting points for the under car panels. I'm thinking of something made of aluminum due to weight.... possibly ABS plastic for a bit of flexibility.

I'll be doing a bit of research and taking a few measurements over the summer. This is by no means an over-night BFI project but I think it could yield some interesting results.

feel free to comment, because as I said, I'm simply spit-balling here, I came up with the idea in the shower... (I didn't exactly hit my head on the toilet and think up the flux capacitor, but pretty close )

John
Old 06-10-06, 09:56 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Solving the problem of heat I believe could be resolved by completely heat-coating the exhaust from the cat back. An added bonus of this heat coating is increased exhaust temps which in turn A) cause a better functioning cat B) an increase in exhaust velocity
I had all my exhaust components on my boat ceramic coated. It was night and day how the engines ran, the engine bay temp was way cooler. My four headers are 4" in to 6" collectors and 6.5" through-hull. So it was a ton of heat, even more so with the new blowers!

Your definitely heading in the right direction with coatings
Old 06-12-06, 11:11 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I've got going for a rear diffuser:

http://www.varisusa.com/products/uni...diffuser.shtml

(should bolt up nicely to the tire well.)

I found a few front under diffusers as well.....

Okuyama/Carbing makes a few under support braces for our cars.
Old 06-12-06, 02:54 PM
bigdaddyrobb
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking about using a rear top secret diffuser and making new sides for it. THere was a company that was going to make a copy specific for the sc....modellista designs.
Old 06-12-06, 05:57 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdaddyrobb
I have been thinking about using a rear top secret diffuser and making new sides for it. THere was a company that was going to make a copy specific for the sc....modellista designs.
counterfeits Bush signed some new counterfeit act recently that I'm planning on enforcing over the next few months. Don't be suprised if you see alot of angry counterfeit companies....the measures include seizing the counterfeit merchandise AND the equipment being used to manufacturer it......did I mention serious financial penalties and prison time as well? This could get really interesting....and it's about time something like this went into effect.

The top secret diffusers can be fitted onto the SC with minimal effort....though the supra version is deeper than say, the GT-R version...which I would go with. But the Varis diffuser is much nicer and the quality is better. Heh, if modellista makes a knockoff, the Varis diffuser will also be more rare. (actually it already is....only like 3-4 in the whole U.S.)

Last edited by roo; 06-12-06 at 06:03 PM.