SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Airbag Adapter Part# Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 08:04 PM
Kilo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Adapter Part# Help

I am in the process of swapping out my stock SC steering wheel & airbag with and IS300 combo. I recently reached out to Curt @ Elmhurt Toyota and gave him the part # for the adapter that I found through a SEARCH on this form : 09082-00760 HARNESS ab adapter.

Link

He insisted that EVERYONE gives him that same part # and it is often not applicable since there are several types of adapters specific to the various airbag / steering wheel combinations. To order the correct adapter, he needs the 5 digit # stamped on the airbag adapter and the 5 digit# stamped on the receiving steering wheel adapter.

Now, I have the part# off of the airbag that I am trying to connect, I just need the part# off of the SC steering wheel adapter. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kilo; 06-26-06 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-26-06, 08:48 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilo
I am in the process of swapping out my stock SC steering wheel & airbag with and IS300 combo. I recently reached out to Curt @ Elmhurt Toyota and gave him the part # for the adapter that I found through a SEARCH on this form : 09082-00760 HARNESS ab adapter.

Link

He insisted that EVERYONE gives him that same part # and it is often not applicable since there are several types of adapters specific to the on the various airbag / steering wheel combinations. To find the order the correct adapter, he needs the 5 digit # stamped on the airbag adapter and the 5 digit# stamped on the receiving steering wheel adapter.

Now, I have the part# off of the airbag that I am trying to connect, I just need the part# off of the SC steering wheel adapter. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.
Subscribing....I need to know as well. I've had that damn airbag light on for farrr tooo longgg....
Old 06-26-06, 08:24 PM
Kilo
Instructor

IF anyone currently has their SC steering wheel off or if they have had experience taking off their wheel (and wouldnt mind doing it again) would you please take a peak at the #s on the airbag adapter and help me out? Thanks again!
Old 06-27-06, 08:40 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That the P/N I used on my 95 SC... I never got the airbag light, but I never ran full throttle into a concrete wall to see if the airbag worked either

PS: Oh, it's my post too
Old 06-27-06, 08:54 AM
Kilo
Instructor

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
That the P/N I used on my 95 SC... I never got the airbag light, but I never ran full throttle into a concrete wall to see if the airbag worked either

PS: Oh, it's my post too
What steering wheel are you connecting? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-06, 09:52 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I was connecting a 98 Supra steering wheel in an 01 RAV4 airbag.

If you don't want to resell your 4 spoke airbag (I didn't for liability reasons) use a a 20'+ section of speaker wire running to the cut off ends of your old airbag.

Once you're all wired up and a safe distance away, connect a 9 volt battery and watch the airbag explode in a grand fashion. It's got the explosive power of 1/4 stick of TNT IIRC.

The SC service manuals have a second on proper airbag disposal as well... FYI.

John
Old 06-27-06, 11:22 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Hah, good to know.
Old 06-27-06, 01:51 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought the same connector from Curt as well. Seems to work well with my airbag.. off a RX...
Old 06-27-06, 05:02 PM
Kilo
Instructor

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
i bought the same connector from Curt as well. Seems to work well with my airbag.. off a RX...
He pretty much scolded me when I asked him if the connector part# that I found on CL was the right one for my application. I am just trying to do as much due-dilligence as I can upfront to avoid any downstream issues. With that said, has anyone purchased a connector / adapter to connect an IS300 airbag to an SC? Thanks!
Old 06-27-06, 08:28 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I'd really suggest taking a look over on SF. Curt is quite good at listing Supra specific part numbers & prices. You will most likely be able to find more info on MKIVs with IS airbags.

What's the most important thing to remember is 1 stage vs 2 stage air bags.

1 stage airbags have 1 connector, 2 stage airbags have two connectors (I'm guessing half force and full force deployment of the air bag)

When you're looking presumably on ebay, make sure you get a clear shot of the backside of the airbag.

If I was to make an educated guess, curt got burned by someone who didn't bother to make sure they were buying a 1 or 2 stage airbag, and made a huge fuss about it.

Alternatively, talk with Carson Toyota, they might be able to help you, and they're a forum sponsor (people forget that Ethan aka Static911 loses $$$ every month keeping CL free for all of us)... plus Carson Toyota is chock full of nice people to boot!

-John
Old 06-28-06, 04:44 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
I'd really suggest taking a look over on SF. Curt is quite good at listing Supra specific part numbers & prices. You will most likely be able to find more info on MKIVs with IS airbags.

What's the most important thing to remember is 1 stage vs 2 stage air bags.

1 stage airbags have 1 connector, 2 stage airbags have two connectors (I'm guessing half force and full force deployment of the air bag)

When you're looking presumably on ebay, make sure you get a clear shot of the backside of the airbag.

If I was to make an educated guess, curt got burned by someone who didn't bother to make sure they were buying a 1 or 2 stage airbag, and made a huge fuss about it.

Alternatively, talk with Carson Toyota, they might be able to help you, and they're a forum sponsor (people forget that Ethan aka Static911 loses $$$ every month keeping CL free for all of us)... plus Carson Toyota is chock full of nice people to boot!

-John
I dealt with Steve at Carson before, and when I gave him the part number, noted in the post above, for the adapter and he couldn't find anything about it. Helooked into it for a few weeks and still came up empty handed.

I've been meaning to order it from Curt but haven't had the time/motivation to do so.
Old 06-28-06, 09:26 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kilo
He pretty much scolded me when I asked him if the connector part# that I found on CL was the right one for my application. I am just trying to do as much due-dilligence as I can upfront to avoid any downstream issues. With that said, has anyone purchased a connector / adapter to connect an IS300 airbag to an SC? Thanks!
he chewed my head off as well. But I insisted on that part number above for my application and he sent it anyways.
Old 07-09-06, 01:37 AM
Kilo
Instructor

Okay - so I called Curt @ Elmurst Toyota and read him the 2 #s off the airbag and steering wheel connectors and he sent me the appropriate Airbag adapter. Funny thing is that the adapter he supplied me was the SAME adapter associated with the part# listed above (09082 - 00760).

With that said, my IS300 wheel and airbag was installed today and no airbag light - thus I will go on record and say, with experience that Airbag Connector 09082-00760 is the connector you will need to install an IS300 steering wheel airbag on an SC.

Thanks Gazi and Todd for the help on the install.
Old 07-29-06, 05:04 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

this is what I need....and i tripped the airbag light on too...now wut do i do?