SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

lol, stealth AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 12:41 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lol, stealth AC

So as some of you might remember, I swapped out my stock head unit for a new JDM widescreen touchscreen Navi/DVD/TV/MP3/CD/Minidisc unit. It literally is wider than the OEM unit so I had to have the center console cover custom fabbed to fit it in there. The original plan was to relocate the AC controls to the glove box but after seeing how many wires that needed extending, I just gave up on the AC......until recently.

It's been hot as hell here in so cal for the past few weeks and after getting stuck in traffic for 2 hours at a time several times, I knew I had to do something. I kept putting off the AC control reinstall, thinking I could wait til I redid more of the interior but it was unbearable today....so off the console cover came and I slid the AC controls underneath. The funny thing was, it was a super snug fit and I was able to get the cover back on with very very slim access to the main buttons needed to control the AC. (off button, fan speed/on, and ac button) I ended up using an old credit card to slide in the slit between the ashtray cover and the face of the console. It's really funny but it works great and keeps it looking simple and clean. (not to mention, very stealthy) It just cracks me up that I was able to get this to work with out any further modification. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails lol, stealth AC-roonavi03.jpg  
Old 07-09-06, 01:43 AM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by roo
So as some of you might remember, I swapped out my stock head unit for a new JDM widescreen touchscreen Navi/DVD/TV/MP3/CD/Minidisc unit. It literally is wider than the OEM unit so I had to have the center console cover custom fabbed to fit it in there. The original plan was to relocate the AC controls to the glove box but after seeing how many wires that needed extending, I just gave up on the AC......until recently.

It's been hot as hell here in so cal for the past few weeks and after getting stuck in traffic for 2 hours at a time several times, I knew I had to do something. I kept putting off the AC control reinstall, thinking I could wait til I redid more of the interior but it was unbearable today....so off the console cover came and I slid the AC controls underneath. The funny thing was, it was a super snug fit and I was able to get the cover back on with very very slim access to the main buttons needed to control the AC. (off button, fan speed/on, and ac button) I ended up using an old credit card to slide in the slit between the ashtray cover and the face of the console. It's really funny but it works great and keeps it looking simple and clean. (not to mention, very stealthy) It just cracks me up that I was able to get this to work with out any further modification. What do you guys think?

i dont get it... where do you slide the credit card to gain access?
Old 07-09-06, 09:21 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

does it bill you when you slide your card?
Old 07-09-06, 09:46 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Gangsta!!

Im so glad we never need AC up here in Washington.

I extended my Climate control wires to relocate the unit in the glove box....and would never do it again
Old 07-09-06, 10:10 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 21ce
i dont get it... where do you slide the credit card to gain access?
see the top of the ashtray cover inthe pic above? All the needed buttons on the climate control are right behind there.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
does it bill you when you slide your card?
it might as well, with gas prices being so high here and the heatwave, I know my 23 mpg I was getting is gonna kill my wallet!
Old 07-09-06, 10:50 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey roo who makes that headunit? Me likey! Can you read Kanji? That would be fun trying to figure out how to change the audio settings.