SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

*sigh* Yet another window problem *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 12:18 PM
Lars619
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *sigh* Yet another window problem *pics*

Shortly after picking up the car my drivers side window busted. I thought the window regulator was toast so I picked up a new one from Lexus. When I got in there to replace it, the old one seemed to be ok and it just popped off the track. Since the car's pretty old I just used the new regulator anyway to prevent any further troubles.

I thought I had it on track but it popped off again. I removed the metal bracket from the glass itself, shown here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=25

I did that so I wouldn't have to bend the regulator track to get it on. I didn't really see any other way the white piece on the regulator could slide on the metal track. I even took the passengers side trim off to see a working window function and it appeared to be identical to how I had the drivers side...

My problem is that once I roll the window all the way up(1), when I try to roll it down it seems like the side closer to the firewall gets "stuck"(2). I need to carefully push down on that side to get the glass level for it to move down correctly.

I need to know why it's getting "stuck". Shining a flashlight in the crack once it's all the way down shows no signs of anything touching the glass.

I thought maybe the wheel on the top rear corner might have broken/come off track, but it's there and on track. The only problem I see is that the "window wheel's" track appears to be damaged (3). Even if the window is past that part, it still gets stuck on the front side when trying to roll it down. Once the window is about half way down, it functions normally and I can roll it up (half way) and down with no problem.

Anybody know what's going on? Is there a special way to connect the regulator to the glass? Here's the pics:

(1)Window fully up

(2)Window getting "stuck" on front side

(3)"Wheel track" - possible culprit?

Passenger side "wheel track" for reference
Old 07-17-06, 07:27 AM
Lars619
Rookie

One last try... I really don't want to have to take this to the dealer if it's a simple fix. The only thing I can think of is that I wasn't right and the white piece isn't connected to the bracket on the glass correctly (I didn't see how else it would go on).

Somebody tell me it's a simple fix... please?
Old 09-13-06, 08:51 AM
r cleghorn
Driver School Candidate

Nothing is broken. Its very simple. That track is held to the door by 4 screws. Remove the panel, fish through the bottom of the door for the screws, you'll probably find lots of neat stuff in there (maybe some french fries *don't eat them*). Once you have the screws, pull the track back up to where it is supposed to be and bolt it back on.

There is a possible chance that the spot welds broke on the bottom piece that the track bolts to. If so, drill out the spot welds and bolt the bracket back to the door.
Old 09-15-06, 07:56 AM
Lars619
Rookie

Very nice thank you I haven't had much time to track this down lately, but I'll try this this weekend. Thanks for the info I'll report back when I get to it.
Old 09-15-06, 10:40 AM
dinhNER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a plan, gl and post more pictures