SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Replaced Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-01, 01:35 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to redo the color of my seats as well but, I think I will just re-dye my seats with Leatherique. It is only around $125 but, with your own labor. A lot of people from the MB forums attest to it but, has anyone tried it on the Lexus SC 400? The reason why I am asking is b/c of the shade of colors. The MBs are generally dark interiors. I have a light cream color interior and want to know if anyone has pics resembling this or the lighter color ones. Thanks ahead.
Old 10-15-01, 09:38 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey black sc, i didn't know you could do that. do they have other darker colors? let me know how it turns out!
Old 10-16-01, 02:05 AM
black sc
Pole Position

I have some other things to do such as the shocks first. However, it is no secret. Get it from the horse's mouth directly. www.leatherique.com Check it out and when I finally do get to it hopefully soon. I'll let you know do-lucksc
Old 10-16-01, 03:07 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Smile Leatherique

I am getting closer to ordering a leather kit from leatherseats.com and now I just want to make sure I pick the right color leather.

The leatherique sounds great and I might get some to use on the armrest on the drivers side door, which has some wear on it. Cleaning it doesn't remove the "wear" so maybe the leatherique will help.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 10-16-01, 08:54 AM
abdul10000
Driver

Hello Black SC

A while ago I used Leatherique dye to do my seats. The end result was not worth it because it was a hard missy job and the dye did not look and feel too good. After the dye completely dried the color was a little different than the original color and when rubbed, it had a plastic feel and sound to it. Even worse, the dye comes off when it’s exposed to water. After all of that happened I wished that I only used their rej oil and cleaner, but it was too late. One of the great difficulty of redying seats is keeping the seems from not being sanded down with the rest of the old dye. Of course, like every one else I am looking to replace my leather covers and I did a lot of research about this issue. I couldn’t find the original Lexus leather, meaning the one with no grain. So, I forgot all about this project. Back to Leatherique, I don't know if I misused their dye, but I doubt that. I followed their instruction and things did not come out too good. All I can say is good luck with your future project and let us know the results.

Abdulrahman
Old 10-17-01, 09:41 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I just got the call to bring my car to the shop to get the seat done. It should not take to long since the pattern is supposed to be finished already. I will let you guys know the outcome once I get the car back.. I know it will be better than it is now!

Old 10-17-01, 04:30 PM
markmaz
Driver School Candidate

Smile Another Seat Repair Project

So many Lexus SC seats needing to be repaired or replaced
and yet so many different ways that we are all going about it.

Count me as one of the guys who is trying the Leatherique pocess before spending the money on new leather and the cost of installation. I've spoken with about 2 or 3 persons who have used their products, including the dye, and were very happy with the finished results. I understand preparation of the leather is the key to a good finished product. I guess only time will tell.

Hey IKON, are you replacing your seats with a vinyl or vinyl-like
product? I want to share something with you that I noticed in the process of my using Rejuvenator Oil on the back seat of my 1989 Legend. The directions call for sitting the car in the sun in order to get the oil to do its thing.

Well, I had forgotten that parts of my rear seat were replaced with a high quality OEM vinyl instead of leather, to save a few bucks, about 3 years ago. Sure you can hardly tell the difference between the leather and the vinyl by looking at it, but boy, when I went to use my hand to "rub in" the Rejuvenator Oil, I couldn't believe how much hotter the vinyl parts were than the leather. So much so from sitting in the sun that I had to get a rag to rub the vinyl parts.

So, while you may be saving a few hundred dollar getting vinyl instead of leather, and granted it will look the same. Its' my guess my friend that you're going to end up with one fried butt.
After my experience yesterday, I would never ever replace the driver's seat with vinyl unless I usually sat on a pad or a booster.

Hopefully this information can help all of you in CL land when thinking about doing the same.
Old 10-17-01, 05:33 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the info! how much is everyone doing their seats in leather for again?
Old 10-17-01, 10:54 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Post The results are in....

I got the car back... On a scale of 1 - 10, I give the job an 8.3 ...

The seat at a glance look the same if you are not aware of the change. The "leatherette" a.k.a. "premium vinyl" is slightly lighter than the oem seats due to the age of an older(10 yrs almost) but perfect interior. I'm cleaning the seats with professional leather cleaner that I got from the upholsterer to strip the seats of dirt/oil and "oxidation"...

I left the head rest alone since it was mint too. I will be taking the car back so that he can "tighten" the seats at the bolsters to give it a snugger fit. I also got the gear shift dyed/coated while I was there too(it was only $15 bucks)...

***To add a few comments about interior dye/color "IF" it is done right, it can be a very nice alternative. However if it is done just "okay" it is going to look worst than a bad paint job on your car!!! :eek: A guy that repairs/conditions leather at my brothers car lot dyes the interior of a car for $350... He does a "fantastic" jod IMO. BUT!!! he says you will have to get it touched up in 2 years or so, if you use your car alot! At a price of $100-150 bucks...
He also stated that the best alternative to buying the oem seats covers is to go "premium vinyl" that will out last any repair/dying he could do. He is also an upholsterer...

The repair guy also said "if your leather shows signs of dry rot or over drying especially in the seams the recoloring will start peeling within a year." He has a contract for his customers to sign if he notices that condition. He highly reconmends replacing the torn or "really bad" sections before a dyeing is done. That site says this too I think...

Once you used the Leathernique kit the "feel" of leather is going to be gone anyway... One a S 420 Benz he had done the seat felt as abdul stated "plasticky", but it looked good!

Mark, as a southern born guy the sun is nothing new to me... I'm just happy that I don't have cracks in my drivers seat now... As soon as I pick up my new steering wheel(that I'm really trying to get..hint, hint) the interior will be COMPLETE!!!

***Now if "Importtoys" makes us a great deal on real leather I'll reconsider it for the front.

I'll try to post some pics, to let you all give me your .02 cents...

Last edited by The Ikon; 10-17-01 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-18-01, 04:09 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Lightbulb Let's see a pic

Ikon post some pictures! I'm anxious to see how it comes out. I will be going iwith leatherseats.com and am just waiting on swatches.

I think I'm getting this color. What do you'all think?
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-01, 04:54 AM
black sc
Pole Position

I may just clean the leather and conditioner from Leatherique b/c I am tinting the windows anyway. I might put a sheepskin cover over the front seats also. I never had sheepskin covers before. Are they as comfortable as they look? I am considering but don't know the final outcome. I have other things to consider for the car working from the outside in. So, I have time to consider all the alternatives.
Old 10-18-01, 05:10 AM
markmaz
Driver School Candidate

Default About Sheepskins

Hey blacksc,

I thought I could lend a little info about sheepsking covers, since I have been using them for about 4 years on the front seats of my 1989 Acura Legend with 150,000 miles.

The sheepskins feel real nice on the body and are especially "cool" during hot summer days. However, they just don't look right. I wish there was some other way I could say it. Sure, they hide my badly torn seats, but despite being able to choose from one of about 10 beige/neutral colors, they just don't look right. If you're one of those guys who cares about how your ride looks, my suggestion would be don't get sheepskins.

BTW, good sheepskins cost about $200 for the pair, and in my opinion you still have to replace them every two years or so. At least to have sheepskins which look fresh and new. Although I'm not going to go to the expense of re-covering the seats in my Acura, I would never get sheepskins for my wife's black SC. It wouldn't do the car any justice. I hope this helps. MHM
Old 10-18-01, 03:39 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Thanks markmaz, I think I see your point. It would look odd like, putting saran wrap over furniture.
Old 10-19-01, 07:56 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

?! What's wrong with putting saran wrap over your furniture?

SR
Old 10-23-01, 08:25 PM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Default Leatherseats.com order

Hello all! I ordered some new leather from Leatherseats.com and it should be in by the end of the week.

I'll be sure to post some pictures. Now I'm motivated to detail my car. I entirely polished and waxed the exterior, and now I'm cleaning/protecting the dash and am going to tackle the upholstery tomorrow.

Question:

What is the best way to keep new leather looking great?

Quick Reply: Replaced Leather Seats