Replaced Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-01, 09:07 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Leatherseats.com order

Originally posted by Whitmanpc1
Hello all! I ordered some new leather from Leatherseats.com and it should be in by the end of the week.

I'll be sure to post some pictures. Now I'm motivated to detail my car. I entirely polished and waxed the exterior, and now I'm cleaning/protecting the dash and am going to tackle the upholstery tomorrow.

Question:

What is the best way to keep new leather looking great?

That's great man. You can be the guinea pig for the group. From what I hear, leatherseats.com has been telling different people different things so could you clear up some questions for us? What did you pay for the leather? What exactly is included in that price (front seats, rear seat, center console, doors, etc)? Did you get the 2 toning? What about piping? Also are you planning to install yourself or take it to a pro?

Thanks a lot

Ryan
Old 10-24-01, 07:07 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Leatherseats.com order

Originally posted by Whitmanpc1
Hello all! I ordered some new leather from Leatherseats.com and it should be in by the end of the week.

I'll be sure to post some pictures. Now I'm motivated to detail my car. I entirely polished and waxed the exterior, and now I'm cleaning/protecting the dash and am going to tackle the upholstery tomorrow.

Question:

What is the best way to keep new leather looking great?

When you get the seats covers in: Condidtion them BEFORE you install them in the car... They will already be as clean as they can be...

***I do this monthly in my car or as needed.

*wipe off seats with a damp towel...
*let dry...
*clean with leather cleaner
*let dry
*conditon leather with leather cream/or spray BY HAND...
*After about 30 minutes, buff excess off with a soft cloth

The same goes for the doors and center armrest(do not scrub very hard).

*On the wood I use furniture polish on a soft cloth... Endust and Pledge...
Old 10-24-01, 02:00 PM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Default thanks for the tip!

Ikon thanks for the tip. I will get some leather conditioner and do as you said...that makes sense!

I look forward to having some pictures posted on the board, hopefully by the beginning of next week!

I assume that any leather conditioner would be fine, especially since this is new leather. I am going to take care of this!
Old 10-26-01, 07:41 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

What's up guys!? I'm wanting on a guy now to dye/refinish my gear shift. He is using a product like that "Leathernique" on it. He is also doing my steering wheel until I get my "NEW ONE" ...<I emailed you about the wheel.. call me *today>

He is charging $45 bucks for the gear shifter, brake handle and wheel(he has a minimum charge of $35 bucks so I said what the hell and got both done)! He did not want to charge me "all" that $ for just the shifter and brake, so he threw in the wheel/shifter/brake handle as a combo.

I finally have a dig. camera now, I took some pic of the wheel "before" and take a couple "after" too. I have a few of the seat that I took last night when I borrowed the camera.

I'll hook the cam. up later and try to down load them in the gallery or have someone post them for me!

Whitman, I'm really not to picky with conditioner. Just get a good name brand... I'm sure they are all about the same at the $7 - $10 range.

Last edited by The Ikon; 10-27-01 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-26-01, 11:11 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

The job is complete! It took only about 30 minutes TOPS! I could've done it myself!! Really it is that easy...

*1st he sanded the steering wheel/shifter/brake handle.

*prep with some cleaner/solvent, and used heat gun to dry for 5 minutes

*he cover all areas not getting treated

*used the dye/paint in a small bottle attached to a very small air can(as if you were spray painting something).

*Once the color was matched he reaplied another layer/coat let it sand for about 10 minutes and came back with a sealer top coat(like a clear coat).

*use the heat gun again... cleaned up...

*took his money and ran!!!

rating - 8.8 out of 10...
Old 10-26-01, 11:44 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Default new question...front seats...remove plastic?

Hey all!

I have spent the last several hours trying to remove the leather from my front pass. seat.

The problem is the plastic around the bottom. I can't get to a set of screws that need to be removed.

Essentially my question is: How do I remove the bottom assembly, including the plastic, from the seat please?

Thanks...this is the only thing that has stopped me from having my leather replaced.
Old 10-26-01, 05:47 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are the SC seats a lot different from LS400 seats? I am thinking on going custom with my LS seats. Thx.

P.S. If you need those seat pics to be posted, e-mail me and I will put it up like the last time.
Old 10-27-01, 08:32 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by retrodrive
P.S. If you need those seat pics to be posted, e-mail me and I will put it up like the last time.
Will do and thanks.. Give me a day or so... I'm headed to Chicago/Kalamazoo again...

***Maybe I'll hook up with "Direct, 2Lexos, Ebanks or 93SC35spd" Guys you have a PM!!!
Old 10-28-01, 06:00 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Unhappy Dead end....help please!

Hello all....my leather seat replacement is not progressing at all.

I am just hoping that I have not done irreversible damage to my passenger seat. I have taken screws out here and there, but can't get the plastic off and can't get the bottom assembly off to install the new leather. I am now going to put all the screws back and put the seat back into my car (looks terrible, foam and frame!) because no more effort on my part is going to yield progress.

If I were proficient at doing this, the job would take about 6 hours (complete).

I have spent 6-8 hours just trying to take apart the pass. seat!!! I have all the leather off, but can't get the new stuff on!!!

Can anyone point me to a resource that would spell out how to take this seat apart? Help!
Old 10-28-01, 09:21 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Grandma recently got a '97 Camry,4 cylinder,and wanted leather,so the dealer had a local shop install a kit for a totall caost of around $800.
My favorite leather conditioner,no funky silicones,is Lexol.It actually has begun to soften the seats in my ex-Texas Lexus.
Old 10-28-01, 08:21 PM
smooth8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting my new dealer leather covers for pretty cheap. I found them through http://www.lexussc400.com
They have factory and performance parts for the sc's. My seats are really tore up from the floor up on a 1994 sc400. I know a place in Redondo Beach, CA that will install them for really cheap and do a first class job. He is a personal friend and has done my headliner and other things. Let me know if you would like to contact him and he will hook you up. By the way Lexol is good.
Old 10-31-01, 04:46 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Talking Wow...pics coming tonight! Leatherseats.com

Guys (and gals)-

Wow. I am so happy with how my leather project is turning out!!!

Lexus-specific issues aside, this was EXTREMELY straight-forward and easy. The process of installing the seatcovers was simple but took some time. Leatherseats.com estimates that a professional could do this in about 4 hours and I agree.

I am very much a "non-techie" with my knowledge of my car (as you may have inferred by my question about how to remove the bottom assembly from my front seat) and it took me about 10 hours, but that was casually working in front of the TV, watching the World Series, Boston Public...

I took the time to make sure I did everything right and you will be able to tell by the pictures. I am impressed at how perfect the seats look, given my lack of experience and expertise with this. At no time was I baffeled about how to proceed. Nice!

I'll have some pictures up tonight. I think you all will agree that this is an awesome solution, especially for people buying SCs now (great prices) and want to invest in restoring the interior. Further, this leather is a huge IMPROVEMENT in quality over the OEM leather that Lexus used back in 1993.

I have a sense of pride about this project, since I will own this car for a long, long time.

Changing my signature (below) soon.
Old 10-31-01, 07:18 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How much did the new leather covers cost?

Thx
Old 11-01-01, 10:37 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Smile pictures to follow

Here are the pics folks! Had to wait for the paint to cure on the plastic things around the headrest and rear seat belts. Perfect color match!

Tell me what you'all think!
Attached Thumbnails Replaced Leather Seats-scfront-large-.jpg  

Last edited by spinaltoad; 12-18-04 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-01-01, 10:41 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Smile pictures to follow

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails Replaced Leather Seats-scfront.jpg  

Quick Reply: Replaced Leather Seats