SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Replaced Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-01, 05:18 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What made you choose the perforated leather?
Old 11-07-01, 06:31 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Perforated leather...

is so sexy.

The later models came with it too.
Old 11-07-01, 07:45 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Whitman, GOOD JOB!!

On the seats, there appears to be a lil' slack/lose fit. Can you get that tighter or do you need extra padding? On my car driver's seat, I had to get new padding to make it fit "tight" as the original.

Perf. looks great, just keep a SOFT bristle brush handy and try not to go over board with sprays/creams... Nice, nice, nice...
Old 11-07-01, 02:16 PM
Lance
Rookie

Ikon, didn't you have your seats redone as well? Any pics?

Lance
Old 11-08-01, 08:13 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will they let you choose two-tone instead of all one color? nice job guys! the place i was going to get it at quoted me 1500 installed. i might as well go here and save a couple hundred bucks! but let me know about the slack ikon, i like it to be tight also. hehe
Old 11-09-01, 04:40 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Thumbs up Two-tone

Yes they will let you choose two-tone.

And Ikon..as for the slack...I'd like to know more about your foam. Did you replace all the foam in the seats? (two pieces) Did they specifically recommend this to make the leather fit tighter?

Overall it just looks like nice, soft leather. The slack looks no different than a friend's new Accord, so my goal of others thinking it is factory installed is being achieved, and the slack doesn't bother me. But you make a good point: maybe replacing the foam (for us with older SCs) would make sense for a tighter fit?

Nobody believes I did it myself!!!
Old 11-09-01, 08:32 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks jeff! man, i'm just scared of doing it myself, so time consuming. but what the hay, saving me money for my intake or something. hehe
Old 11-09-01, 04:04 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Two-tone

Originally posted by Whitmanpc1
Yes they will let you choose two-tone.

And Ikon..as for the slack...I'd like to know more about your foam. Did you replace all the foam in the seats? (two pieces) Did they specifically recommend this to make the leather fit tighter?
I'm not sure on how many peices of foam he used, but he did use new foam to make the fit "tighter"...
Old 11-13-01, 04:28 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Where would be a good place to get this foam?
Old 11-14-01, 05:57 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Hey, you should go and ask your upholsterer or try a fabric store/warehouse... It should be pretty easy to find..

It made a big difference to me..
Old 11-15-01, 04:37 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by The Ikon
Hey, you should go and ask your upholsterer or try a fabric store/warehouse... It should be pretty easy to find..

It made a big difference to me..
I know several places to get foam sheets, what thickness do I need? I would like to buy it before I rip the skins off the seats so I can do everything in one weekend.

I wouldn't mind adding more than necessary if it will make it tighter, but I don't want it to look bad or not fit right.

Just curious.

Keith
Old 11-15-01, 09:38 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Keith

I'm not sure of the thickness used in my car . I "think" he used the oem thickness in the car, because the oem foam in my car was worn a lil' as in all older cars 10 years old. It could have been fine with the oem foam, but I wanted it better...
Old 11-15-01, 11:08 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Default Great Suggestion

Ikon (et. al)-

I'm glad you brought the foam issue to the table. Moving forward, if anyone else is going to do the leatherseats.com deal, maybe you want to consider replacing the foam at the same time.

Kinda like getting the water pump done with the timing belt, you don't want to go back in and replace the foam!

However, keep this in mind as you consider this project:

-Take a good look at my pictures and see how good it looks with the "not 100% taught" areas of the seats

-Tolerances exist for this kind of stuff, and the average person (not the owner!) looking at your newly restored leather is just going to see nice new leather

-Comments others have made while looking at the seats are that it looks amazing and feels nice and soft.

-Some OEM 2002 models have that "soft" look to the leather, and it appears to be a natural tendency of leather to not look "100% taught"

Either way, I am not trying to persuade anyone's opinion, since this is a matter of personal taste. I just want you to know how I feel, and I am loving it!! To the naked eye, "less than perfect" equals "perfect".

Had I been aware of potential foam issues, I might have done something, considering I plan on never selling this car. But I don't regret not doing it, since NOBODY else will ever even consider that there is a flaw!!!

Further, Lexus must have used some great OEM foam...I've never seen a 10-year old seat in a daily use car stand up so well!!!

I look forward to seeing some more leather restore pics! It's time for someone to outdo my project...with some new foam!

Jeff

ps. I love the perforated look!!!
Old 11-15-01, 04:30 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Great Suggestion

Originally posted by Whitmanpc1
Ikon (et. al)-

I'm glad you brought the foam issue to the table. Moving forward, if anyone else is going to do the leatherseats.com deal, maybe you want to consider replacing the foam at the same time.

Kinda like getting the water pump done with the timing belt, you don't want to go back in and replace the foam!

However, keep this in mind as you consider this project:

-Take a good look at my pictures and see how good it looks with the "not 100% taught" areas of the seats

-Tolerances exist for this kind of stuff, and the average person (not the owner!) looking at your newly restored leather is just going to see nice new leather

-Comments others have made while looking at the seats are that it looks amazing and feels nice and soft.

-Some OEM 2002 models have that "soft" look to the leather, and it appears to be a natural tendency of leather to not look "100% taught"

Either way, I am not trying to persuade anyone's opinion, since this is a matter of personal taste. I just want you to know how I feel, and I am loving it!! To the naked eye, "less than perfect" equals "perfect".

Had I been aware of potential foam issues, I might have done something, considering I plan on never selling this car. But I don't regret not doing it, since NOBODY else will ever even consider that there is a flaw!!!

Further, Lexus must have used some great OEM foam...I've never seen a 10-year old seat in a daily use car stand up so well!!!

I look forward to seeing some more leather restore pics! It's time for someone to outdo my project...with some new foam!

Jeff

ps. I love the perforated look!!!
Great points Jeff... The average person WILL NOT notice at all... Have you kept the crumbs out of the perfs.? I love the perf look as well... I need to post my pic asap... I have before and after pics of the steering wheel, gear shift, brake handle... Of course the pics of the seat...

I need to get a photo scanner for some of my pics(some are on the digital camera)...
Old 11-16-01, 01:28 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I have a few pics of my interior now... Also check out the dying of the steering wheel, handle(brake) and shifter..
They look as good as new again... I'm very happy with the results.

I hope you all enjoy... This is the premium vinyl fabric on the seats... Look and feels like leather ..

1. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/the_ikon1..._3.jpg&.src=ph

2.http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/the_ikon1...ir.jpg&.src=ph

3. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/the_ikon1...ed.jpg&.src=ph

4. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/the_ikon1...re.jpg&.src=ph

5. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/the_ikon1...ed.jpg&.src=ph

http://photos.yahoo.com/the_ikon1911

Last edited by The Ikon; 11-16-01 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Replaced Leather Seats