Search this Thread

Old 09-27-01, 08:11 PM
markmaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replaced Leather Seats

A few months ago a number of fellow members were discussing
purchasing customized leather seats from a web site, leatherseats.com

I am very interested in purchasing a set of new covers from this company and was wondering if anyone purchased a set, how they installed the new seat covers, and were they happy with
the quality of the product.

Thanks for your comments. Markmaz in Atlanta, GA
Old 10-06-01, 05:51 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Unhappy Response about leather seats...Anyone? Hello?

Greetings fellow SC owners.

I would like to know who (if any of us) purchased the leather seat replacement kit from leatherseats.com.

I am amazed that the recent thread (this one) on this topic has gone unanswered. Everyone was so excited to replace their leather seats, leatherseats.com announced the kit, and NOBODY purchased it?

If I remember correctly, there were at least 6-8 people who were all over the though of purchasing the seats. Now nobody??

I know that they had sold only one kit, but apparently it was not sold to a ClubLexus community member.

Were I not in a layoff (dot com!) I would already be posting pictures and my thoughts about the kit. I am hoping that we could somehow get in touch with the person who purchased the kit; I have emailed leatherseats.com asking if they can forward me their name.

Cheers!
Old 10-06-01, 06:27 AM
rhart00
Pole Position

I got an email from the guy at leatherseats about a week ago. He said told me a lot of things I don't think he previously said like they are doing door inserts and you can also get seude inserts for the seats. I will have mine ordered just as soon as I decide what color I want to paint the exterior of my car.

Ryan
Old 10-06-01, 09:48 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

On the thread with leatherseats.com they seem to have good products ; HOWEVER, the price for the SC WAS/IS NOT justified. Leather is leather....

The members here did not want to pay almost $800 incl shipping for seat replc. especially every other car was was around $500 for the same amount of leather. Do they used a "special Lexus COW" to get the leather

*They did not offer just the front seats either. They could sell 2 pair of front seats and not waist any material and make the same money. I hate it when ANY company try to "rape" us because we own a Lexus. The other day a tint shop told me that he charges a $40 premium for luxury cars... What kind of bull**** is this?

In their defense a guy did come back and reduced the price to like $700 - 750 I forgot which is right.

Maybe in time we will get "fair" prices for the "same" products. So do get upset at the members for not chosing to buy their "higher" costing "special" leather... When the price is right you'll see the same members w/new interiors. Just post your pics when you get your seats re-done!!!

Old 10-06-01, 10:31 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Default Your thoughts?

Hey Ikon and all,

I will post as soon I do it...I can't wait. Hopefully Ryan gets it done and I can benefit, but then again hopefully I get a job first and then I'll post some great pics.

The attractive thing to me about this solution is that it is everything I want to do. I admittidely do not know much about car interior restoration, but hearing this solution, how it's installed, the tools needed to do it, it seems like something I could do.

I ordered leather swatches from them and was quite impressed with the quality of leather. I have, however, considered holding out until they offer a synthetic version.

Again, not an expert, I am relying on someone's advice. I've heard that a synthetic alternative can be more durable and feel softer and wonderfully like leather.

Thoughts anyone? Bring it on! I want my old lex to look like new
Old 10-06-01, 11:50 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Whitman, as for you stated:
Again, not an expert, I am relying on someone's advice. I've heard that a synthetic alternative can be more durable and feel softer and wonderfully like leather.
There are "quality" man made alternatives.

BMW used these in there 3 series, MBenze did to in some of their cars. They called it "leatherette" errr in other words VINYL! No one begged to question it at all... They did use real leather too, but the average "joe" could not tell...

Vinyl could be had for the front seats at about $200 - $250 installed @ just about any good upholsteror shop in any major city in a 1 day job. Just go by a couple of places and don't let them tell you that LEXUS cars demand $300 - 400 for our seats!!! Also check out their work or get referals from someone that used them.....
Old 10-06-01, 01:31 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

....I'll go buy my distributors to see if they'll take on the job.
I have Lexus seats just sitting around in storage that i'll let them take to work with... give me till next Wednesday or so to have an answer and solid numbers if they are willing to do it....

Leather is leather....I soooo agree with The Ikon!!!

If you email me about this PLEASE put atten: Marcus in the subject line.
Old 10-06-01, 01:46 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

Uhhhhhh..Actually...Email me if you are interested... if i get a few emails I'll go up there....Just try to do it this weekend or VERY early in the week. Ours is done so we dont need it........BUT I'll try to get everything hooked up and with cool pricing if others need it.
Old 10-06-01, 10:06 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

ImpToys, if you guys get a "real deal" on the seats I'm in!!! Just be fair and we WILL support you!!! Just keep us posted!!!
Old 10-08-01, 04:56 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree w/ The Ikon 100%. I have the money ready to go to purchase the kit, and have the desire to re-do my leather; but I refuse to pay $200-$300 for the exact same leather as the other applications. Money talks.

Whom ever comes out with a quality kit, at a COMPETITIVE price; will get my business. I also prefer to buy from an american company to endorse our U.S. economy.

I feel I speak for many of the other people who desire to replace their interior.

Any way; I'll shut up now.

Keith
Old 10-08-01, 11:34 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

i agree with lkon 100% too! do you know how many shops in orange county try to charge you more because you cruise up in a lexus? from radios to seats, to paint jobs, they all charge more because they see a lexus and they "assume" that it's a lot more hard work than a toyota to work on. it's the same company idiots! i asked about getting seats done in leather and for the whole interior they want 1000 bucks. same thing in vynl is about 600 bucks. so i hope these figures help anyone out there. I'm wondering what other places are charging???
Old 10-09-01, 02:00 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb Do-Luck

What I do is CALL the shop and get a "quote" for a Honda Accord , ask the persons name... Then show up in the Lexus, because material is material!!!!! (now some things may be slightly higher, but not substaintual!)

If they try to change up because you/we have a Lexus... Lets start reporting them to the BBB for price gouging!!!

I will not get screwed because I have a Lexus again...

*So if ImpToy get a good deal going are you in? Who else would be interested for the front seats only, if you had the option?
Old 10-09-01, 04:29 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Default Fair Price

Back to the offer from Leatherseats.com: $799 for front and back seats. These are out of the box, ready to go. They have the wires attached so all you have to do is take the old leather off and put this on.

Are the other prices being quoted including the wires? Are they cut to fit perfectly, as leatherseats.com claims? They specifically mentioned OEM spec.

I ask this because I have no idea what this SHOULD cost. $799 sounds like a good deal to me for quality leather, but let's keep this thread going with everyone's experience.

They're not making new SC3 and 400's, so this is the time for us who own 7 year old (or so) SC's to restore the leather, expecially people like me who want to own the car forever. How cool will it be when someone enters your car and asks if this is a 2001/2002? lol...they say that when they see the OUTSIDE of my car...
Old 10-09-01, 04:45 AM
markmaz
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up This is Great!! Lets' Band Together

Wow guys. When I started this thread I had no idea that there were so many of us who own 5, 6, 0r 7 year old SC's and who had been thinking about (or needed to) replace their seats.

One clarifiication, on something Whitmanpc1 just said in this earlier reply. I called leatherseats.com about a week ago and was told the cost for the front and back seats was $649.00

No disrespect intended to those of you who think that is expensive, but I've called about 5 or 6 shops here in the Atlanta area and nobody was willing to match that price. I guess it takes a shop who makes more than one at a time to pass on the savings.

I second the notion that many of us only want or need to replace our front seats. I'd like to become the POINT person in gathering the names, addresses and telephone numbers of all those who would purchase only the front seats within the next 1-3 months. If you're really interested, e-mail me at img7@mediaone.net

I'm a New Yorker who knows how to negotiate. I'll take all of the information you guys send to me and call leatherseats and get them to offer us only the front seats, at a reasonable price. Don't worry Ikon, I'll never let someone charge me more just because we're driving a Lexus. Never!!

For all of you guys who also want steering wheel, center consol and/or door panels, could you please wait awhile for your specific needs beyond the front seat covers, just so we can get the ball rolling and demonstrate to these folks at leatherseats.com that we have strength in numbers and can make it worth their while to satisfy us.

So, please send me an e-mail and rest assured I will stay on top of this. Sincerely, Markmaz
Old 10-09-01, 12:54 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be very happy if they could do all seats and center console for $600 - $650 shipped.

If you could, offer them a group buy offer and see what they say. If the price is right, I'll most definately buy. But last I heard, the price was very close to $800 shipped just for the seats.

No disrespect for the company, but the only way they are going to make mad money, is to let a few go at an extreemely low introductory price, so the club members can see the quality their company can provide. Then they put the price up a little, and word of mouth will sell dozens upon dozens. I know sooooo many people with pre-95 SC's that would jump for a reasonably priced leather kit. No one wants to take a gamble with that kind of money for the risk of a cr@ppy product.

If they make an intro-offer, I'll buy it and write up a review. I'm willing to put money on it, that at least 10 other people just from this board would buy just by our recomendation.

I also think they might want speed up the pace on the center console/steeringwheel/door pannels. Cars look funny with brand spankin' new seats w/ a cracked and dirty center console. A complete kit (albiet more expensive) will sell quicker in the long run if all the leather is replaced at once. I know a good amount of people that just want front seats, but if memory serves me correctly, Leather seats dot com stated they could do it, but with only a minimal savings - like less than $100.

All in all, I want a new interior, but can get a synthetic interior installed for the price of a do-it-yourself leather kit that no one knows how good it looks, plus you have to buy all the tools to do it. The companies marketing people should take a close look at this situation. It is definately a money maker just waiting to happen.

Let me know if they can drop the price or do a group buy option. I'm in 100% if the price is right.

Keith

Quick Reply: Replaced Leather Seats