No one sells a good car anymore

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-01, 04:38 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No one sells a good car anymore

Originally posted by DIrEctQL

Might be some truth behind that. If you drive the mustang slowly and don't race much then yes, it will be somewhat reliabile. Also, I belive older mustangs used to be more reliabile than the newer ones. People around here who do race rebuild the engines in their mustangs quite frequently. I do know some people who drove their mustangs (but didn't race) and didn't have a problem. Most of them sold it with 120k miles and because the tranny and/or engine were going out slowly. Heh. They did regular maintnance and always had problems with their freaken electronics.
I am sure I didn't drive slow. You can ask my wife. I sold mine at 77k because I bought a Lexus. It sure didn't feel like it was slowing down but then again, it certainly didn't have 120k miles. I had zero problems with my electronics..although people with underdrive pulleys might have some charging problems.

I think anyone who races frequently will be rebuilding his/her engine. Especially, if they want to remain competitive. It's the nature of the beast.

If someone was looking for a cheap car to build for racing, I would go with a ford or a rotary engine car. Lots of parts and easy to rebuild.

If you are looking for image...well, that's another story.
Old 10-01-01, 04:48 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I saw a 90 300zx TT for $10k in the local paper. And I've seen a couple of 93 RX-7TT for around 12-16k. High mileage cars..not sure if they were trashed or not.
Old 10-01-01, 06:39 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I heard that the rotaries have some kind of strange issue.. I don't kno wwhat though. What I do know is that many of the ads say "engine replaced at (usually around 60k) miles" My first thought of course is that the engines aren't very reliable. Then, I think that maybe the engine's so small that replacement is actually easier than some repairs, or there's a good reman program.
I'm Toyota all the way, though.
Old 10-01-01, 09:46 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
I heard that the rotaries have some kind of strange issue.. I don't kno wwhat though. What I do know is that many of the ads say "engine replaced at (usually around 60k) miles" My first thought of course is that the engines aren't very reliable. Then, I think that maybe the engine's so small that replacement is actually easier than some repairs, or there's a good reman program.
I'm Toyota all the way, though.
Have you seen the rebuild kits for rotaries? They seem to consist of seals and springs. I think racing beat sells them for about $800-900.

Here's a big question for you. Since you're pretty tall, can you fit into a MR2?

How about a Tacoma with a SC? smog legal and free installation at melody toyota..or was that putnam toyota? How about an Impala SS? There's one in the paper for a pretty good price.

All it takes is money..
Old 10-02-01, 08:43 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Arrow

Sick, the Father-n-law did...

Max, the RX-7 engine is very, very finicky and there are quite a few 7s with engine replacements. I've heard so many good and bad tales about the RX7. It is a remarkable car with true sports car tendecies. However, getting a new engine every 60K miles is a scary chance to take, unless you DO NOT plan to use it as a daily driver.

The 300ZX is the car to get... or find that 944 Turbo!!!

Here's another alternative...

>94' - *98' Stealth RT Turbo or *3000 GT VR4 both have 320hp engines, AWD, twin turbos.. 1/4 et @ 13.6 - 13.8
>91' Stealth/VR4 1/4 et @ 14.0 - 14.3 w/300 hp
Old 10-02-01, 08:51 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by The Ikon
Sick, the Father-n-law did...

Max, the RX-7 engine is very, very finicky and there are quite a few 7s with engine replacements. I've heard so many good and bad tales about the RX7. It is a remarkable car with true sports car tendecies. However, getting a new engine every 60K miles is a scary chance to take, unless you DO NOT plan to use it as a daily driver.

The 300ZX is the car to get... or find that 944 Turbo!!!

Here's another alternative...

>94' - *98' Stealth RT Turbo or *3000 GT VR4 both have 320hp engines, AWD, twin turbos.. 1/4 et @ 13.6 - 13.8
>91' Stealth/VR4 1/4 et @ 14.0 - 14.3 w/300 hp
You complain about reliability of RX7 and then you recomment a car that might aswell be as unreliabile. 3000GT VR4 is the only one that's nice, but it has lots of problems. Soo many unreliabile gadgets and the whole design of the car makes it a true DSM. Sure it's fast and can be faster, but it's has many design flaws. Most of them can be corrected with few thousand bucks. Examples, Active aero tends to be develop problems, tranny is not rebuildable (so you have to replace it in whole if it breaks), turbos are small, and so are the injectors. Doesn't that car have crank walk too? Look at the amount of recalls on it, it's scarry. It's hevy and breaks tend to go fast or get really hot. Ehh, don't recommend it. I almost bought one till an owner of one knock some sence into my head. Unless you have lots of money to correct the problems with this car, don't buy it.
Old 10-02-01, 09:25 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

My best friend Patrick Mosely has a 95' 3000 and his car has been remarkably reliable. He has replaced the transmission at around 85,000 miles however. Besides this he has not replaced anything. His car still look and drives new.

It depends on the what the goals are in the car you are getting:
Street racer, drag racer, rally car, S.C.A.A., show car or daily driver.

Every car we all have mentioned can/could fit into one of these categories depending on "personal" need and desires.

Hell another friend of mine, Brad<the guy with me at Nopi> just bought a 91' Isuzu Impulse RS turbo 165hp AWD 5spd w/78,000 mile for about $1K to use as a S.C.A.A car and import drag racer because of the weight and go fast goodies for the turbo cars... He know most people from lack of knowing what it is, will dismiss his "sleeper" Geo Storm looking car and shock them all with turbo/awd performance.

I'll still go for the 300ZX TT or 944 Turbo.
Old 10-02-01, 09:37 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

My best friend Patrick Mosely has a 95' 3000 and his car has been remarkably reliable. He has replaced the transmission at around 85,000 miles however. Besides this he has not replaced anything. His car still look and drives new.

It depends on the what the goals are in the car you are getting:
Street racer, drag racer, rally car, S.C.A.A., show car or daily driver.

Every car we all have mentioned can/could fit into one of these categories depending on "personal" need and desires.

Hell another friend of mine, Brad<the guy with me at Nopi> just bought a 91' Isuzu Impulse RS turbo 165hp AWD 5spd w/78,000 mile for about $1K to use as a S.C.A.A car and import drag racer because of the weight and go fast goodies for the turbo cars... He know most people from lack of knowing what it is, will dismiss his "sleeper" Geo Storm looking car and shock them all with turbo/awd performance.

I'll still go for the 300ZX TT or 944 Turbo.
The engine compartment in 300zxTT is so tight! Maint must cost an arm and a leg.

Anyone want to bid on a 96 sc300 5spd in FL? I saw this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...914556&r=0&t=0
Old 10-02-01, 09:56 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Yeah, the 300ZX engine is truly shoe horned in there!

Maintenance was/is about as much as my SC4 in most cases... Now some labor expenses are higher due to longer times due to the engine confinement... Overall it is a wash.
Old 10-02-01, 11:07 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

what if you buy a 92 or 93 lexus and swap in a supra tt motor from a 93-98 car,.....isnt there a rule that you can swap motors if it is to a newer model year car than what you own....then just swap in a supra tt motor and go on your way?....Jeff
Old 10-02-01, 11:12 AM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

With proper care and feeding, you don't have to put a new engine in every 60k miles. Overheating is probably the biggest cause of engine failure with these cars. The stock temp guage doesn't move until the car is nearly overheating, and almost assuredly warp the housings and trash the engine. Another problem is dumbass mechanics that don't understand "that thar wankel" and just put in a whole new engine in. The same is true for the turbos and their control solenoids...turbos aren't boosting properly...put on a new set to the tune of $3k....nevermind that it was a $50 solenoid or vacuum hose popped off somewhere. I would say that RX-7s do have more engine/turbo problems than most cars of the same caliber, but not a hugely disproportionate number.
Old 10-02-01, 11:38 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm selling my 90 300zxTT auto for pretty damn cheap... around $8500 if anyone is interested its white

http://www.swgronin.com/files/speaker.jpg

i'm selling it so cheap because i want to move to atlanta really bad and i can't go until i sell this car; i still have to pay insurance on it as well so its killing me with money i could be saving for stuff on the Lex

100k miles and a rebuilt tranny, car is in awsome shape

sorry i know this belongs in classifieds but i gotta sell this thing
Old 10-02-01, 11:43 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Black94RX-7TT

With proper care and feeding, you don't have to put a new engine in every 60k miles. Overheating is probably the biggest cause of engine failure with these cars. The stock temp guage doesn't move until the car is nearly overheating, and almost assuredly warp the housings and trash the engine. Another problem is dumbass mechanics that don't understand "that thar wankel" and just put in a whole new engine in. The same is true for the turbos and their control solenoids...turbos aren't boosting properly...put on a new set to the tune of $3k....nevermind that it was a $50 solenoid or vacuum hose popped off somewhere. I would say that RX-7s do have more engine/turbo problems than most cars of the same caliber, but not a hugely disproportionate number.
its not the problems they have; its that they are such fragile engines when under abuse... they do not tolerate detonation or overheating (like you said)
they'll last to 100k miles but then you gotta buy another engine or have it rebuilt; which is pretty damn cheap compared to other cars... and the turbos don't cost $3000 even on a FD
the engines are easy as hell to remove too; takes about 2 hours if you know what you're doing... then another 2.5 to put it all back together... cars don't get much more simple than a rotary
Old 10-02-01, 01:05 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Originally posted by Bean

cars... and the turbos don't cost $3000 even on a FD
Yeah, they do. A new set of twins from Mazda will run you slightly in excess of $3000...plus a couple $50 stainless exhaust gaskets, plus the oil and water gaskets/o-rings, and you might as well do the oil lines while you're down there....
Old 10-02-01, 01:29 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Just go to Turbo City or some other turbo aftermarket company and get them rebuilt or upgraded for much less $$$... On our 300ZX TT and Conquest TSI that's what we did...

RX7 so have a vacuum lines popping off. I read this on overboost.com once a few months ago. They said to put a small amount of "super glue" type adhesive on each "new" vac lines to solve this problem. "BlackR" have you heard about this?

Quick Reply: No one sells a good car anymore