SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

manual sc300s

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-01, 09:04 PM
fd3s_go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual sc300s

How rare are manual SC300s? I almost never see any used ones for sale and when I do, it's all the way accross the country, heh... How hard is it to convert an automatic s300 to manual and are there any shops in California that can do the swap? I think I've almost had it with my RX-7... can't even turn on the a/c on cold when u actually do need it... I'm looking for a manual SC300 but I can't seem to track any down.
Old 10-01-01, 09:21 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the legwork... Its well worth it. Any Lexus Dealer can have their buyer hunt one down at one of the big auctions like Manheim. They may want a premium and a deposit, but my dealer was willing to search for one, and actually came up with two separate 5spds. You just have to tell them in advance what you're willing to pay for it. Other alternative is go to autotrader and just bite the bullet and travel. Who knows, just tell the used car buyer at the Lex dealer that he's got a locked deal and won't have it sitting on the lot, you may even get a better deal than ones already on the lot taking up room and budget.
Old 10-01-01, 09:44 PM
fd3s_go

Does anyone happen to know the prodcution numbers on the manual SC300s? I'm just curious how rare they are, especially the 1997-2000 models w/ the updated body style... I have very rarely seen those in manual. I guess going to the dealer and asking them to track one down would be a good idea.
Old 10-02-01, 06:38 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

I'm pretty sure 1997 was the last year that you could get the 5 speed manual.
Old 10-02-01, 08:46 AM
MrWigggles
Rookie

I got my car through Autotrader. I'm in Houston and he was in San Antonio.

I had an inspection service do an inspection on his vehicle while I was remained in Houston.

The inspectior was very thurough in some areas but blind in others.

My recommendation is to take a cashiers check for 80% of the amount the person wants and 20% in cash that way you have some negotiating room.

Lexus slowly tapered off production of the manual from good numbers in the early 90's to all none in the last year of 5spd production '97.

I would try to purchase it from the dealership certified pre-owned. This will get you 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and a good bumper-to-bumper as well.

-Mr. Wigggles
Old 10-02-01, 11:40 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i stumbled onto mine
a 95 5-speed with 17 BBS RXs on it for $13k

car is in perfect condition except its got a cheapass aftermarket woodgrain kit (which i removed) and the headlights need cleaning lol
Old 10-02-01, 04:46 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

I heard somewhere that around 10% of all sc300s are manual
Old 10-02-01, 05:47 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car up the the Lexus dealer one day. The service tech said he had only seen one other 5-speed, and the lexus user-car buyer there said that he hadn't seen one before. Everyone I talk to is like "wow, I've never seen one in manual, who did the conversion?" LOL

SR
Old 10-02-01, 07:04 PM
fd3s_go

Originally posted by the_ez_rhino
I heard somewhere that around 10% of all sc300s are manual
10%??? my chances don't seem so good...
Old 10-03-01, 03:04 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

i see a ton on autotrader / ebay, well last time i checked i saw a ton @ least... its harder to find a newer year manual they seemed to decrease production of manuals a little bit each yr. But if you look hard enough you should be able to find one 4 a good deal.
Old 10-05-01, 11:24 AM
platinumJZZ31
Rookie

I searched long and hard for an SC 300 manual when I bought my '97 in Feb. of 2000. I ended up getting it from a guy in Miami (I live in Maryland). They are out there (and for some reason, a lot of them seem to be in Miami), but you have to be patient if you are particular about color, options, etc.

1997 was the last year Lexus offered a manual transmission in the SC. Thus, 1997 was the only year you could get the newer front bumper & taillight design along with a manual.

The SC 300 is not a light car. With about a 3600 pound curb weight, it will seem a lot more sluggish than your RX-7 (which is about 2800 lbs, and has more HP as well). The SC is by no means a sports car, but it is a beautiful touring machine.

Good luck in your search.

Ben
Old 10-05-01, 04:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually its more around 3500lbs at least the earlier models were; i know they lengthened the 97-00 SCs and they prolly gained weight from it
Old 10-05-01, 06:39 PM
fd3s_go

Originally posted by platinumJZZ31
I searched long and hard for an SC 300 manual when I bought my '97 in Feb. of 2000. I ended up getting it from a guy in Miami (I live in Maryland). They are out there (and for some reason, a lot of them seem to be in Miami), but you have to be patient if you are particular about color, options, etc.

1997 was the last year Lexus offered a manual transmission in the SC. Thus, 1997 was the only year you could get the newer front bumper & taillight design along with a manual.

The SC 300 is not a light car. With about a 3600 pound curb weight, it will seem a lot more sluggish than your RX-7 (which is about 2800 lbs, and has more HP as well). The SC is by no means a sports car, but it is a beautiful touring machine.

Good luck in your search.

Ben
Yeah, I realize it won't be a pure sports car like my RX-7 but hey, work is 2.6 miles away and it's not like I race to work every day... getting old, haha.
Old 10-07-01, 09:57 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

Bean actually its more around 3500lbs at least the earlier models were; i know they lengthened the 97-00 SCs and they prolly gained weight from it
Are you sure they lengthened them? I thought that it was just a different front bumper, side skirts and rear valence.
Old 10-07-01, 10:05 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default I saw 25 Sc's roll down the auction...

When I went to go buy the LX....tooooo bad I got greedy and didn't wait for anything else (the LX was basically the 3rd car to roll by ). And there were a couple that were manual, yuuupp...I'm certain because I sat in about every single one .....THERE WAS EVEN A SUPRA TT CONVERTED ONE!!! It's went for like under 10k toooooo! Mainly because it was a dealer auction and dealers have no use for modded out cars....man for the price I got the LX for I could have gotten that SC and a GS! Or the SC and another SUV for the winter...sigh...whoa is me.

Okay, well I suggest you find a friend or family member that owns a dealership or knows sombody who does, pay them a 100 bucks to get you in and pick what you want....the manheim auction over here has everything.

Quick Reply: manual sc300s