SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

pics of the $2000 Sc300...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 10:17 PM
swolekat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pics of the $2000 Sc300...

there are 19 pics. tell me what you think.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/swolekat/
Old 07-22-06, 10:25 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 388 Likes on 269 Posts

hmmm...in that condition I think 2000 is a decent price for what you got there...130k on the odo and everything is a mess! Does the engine at least run strong? with the exterior and interior in that shape, I don't have high hopes for the engine and how well it was maintained....

funny how the drivers side rear seat shows more wear than the passengers side rear seat...usually its the other way around cause behind the driver ain't much room
Old 07-22-06, 10:26 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Were those bullet holes ??????
Old 07-22-06, 10:33 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats in pretty bad condition. How did they manage to break the engine fan like that?
Old 07-22-06, 10:49 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

i think you got ripped off, i paid 5,000 for my 93 sc400 and there was barely anything wrong with it, it's going to cost you at least double what you paid to just get it back to stock condition...

the gauges/climate control are expensive fixes, body work too. you gotta replace the whole fan, so while your doing that might as well replace the clutch/radiator/hoses/thermostat while your in there.
Old 07-22-06, 10:50 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

it's probably from the little fender bender it had.
You should really fix that fan though, and do ALL the usual maintenence needed. It looks like one neglected SC.. poor thing, clean it up and give it the TLC it deserves.
Old 07-23-06, 12:00 AM
swolekat
Driver School Candidate

i didnt buy the car yet. i posted here to see if it was worth it or not. the engine runs fine but in all truth i could care less about the interior/exterior or the engine. its all comin out anyway! i would really like to get a stripped sc300 5 speed. i could swap the engine in a day and be swingin em at the track in no time. any good deals out there?
Old 07-23-06, 12:54 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can talk them down to $1500 then you might want to risk it. Also, if you have the money laying around and it won't hurt you financially then you might want to buy it as a project car.

Here is my breakdown of repair costs:
$1500- Body Work and New Paint Job (Medium quality paint job)
$1000- Engine Work. Could cost much more if there are any severe problems. But this should get it in good running shape and cover the cost of timing belt, drive belt, and even a pump or alternator replacement.
$900- Suspension work. You may find that the shocks need replacing and other parts in the suspension like bushing and such. This would also be a good time to invest in lowering the car.
$1000- Interior parts... You can probably find used replacement door panels for around $100 each. You can probably also get the climate control fixed or replaced used for around $200. Replacing the leather (if you do the labor yourself) will cost around $400 for the new seat covers. And then you can pick up the other small parts (door handle and such) reletively cheap from a Lexus dealership or a salvage yard.
$1500- wheels and tires. This could buy you some good quality 18" wheels with tires if you shop around.

Total invested into the car: $6100.00
Total that should be invested right away after purchase: $3500

If you can afford to put that money into the car right after getting it, then you might want to consider. Good luck!
Old 07-23-06, 01:45 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

wow what a pile...
Old 07-23-06, 06:23 AM
Afrokid
Driver

it might not look so bad with some wax on it .
does anyone else think it would be a better idea to ditch this car and just get a 5k one?
Old 07-23-06, 06:47 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

despite the somewhat negative comments in this thread, I think that's a car with a ton of possibility.

It needs some work, but if you know what you're doing, you could turn that thing right around in no time

A 1JZ swap would solve all the worries about what condition your engine is in, for example.
Do the 97 update while you're repainting the car.
chuck the suspension and go with coilovers... replace all the rubber bushings.
buy a set of wheels & tires
Do the LS400 4 piston brake upgrade.
clean up the interior... talk with Aliga, a member here about buying used interior parts.

Keep us posted on the restoration process!

John
Old 07-23-06, 07:34 AM
Afrokid
Driver

thats a good solution if u have "alot" of money u want to invest in the car up right.
Old 07-23-06, 10:14 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by swolekat
there are 19 pics. tell me what you think.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/swolekat/

For the work it needs I would just buy one in better condition.

Jonny
Old 07-23-06, 11:34 AM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

Yeah you do need to put at least double the amount you buy the car but it comes out really clean. I just bought one almost the same condition as your. Green and Grey with 205k on the engine but run daym strong. So i dont give a daym. I'm still debating with stock 99 front end or Auto couture kit. If the motor blow on me 2JZ it is. I wouldn't say that a bad deal in Cali I see some even worse goes for 3500-5500. Anyway let me know if you don't pick that up I might pick it up too. I have a a complete SC for parts. I can hook you up with that door handle and some other so pm me. Also 99 Black Dash with Airbag. i was going to put the complete 99 black interior into my car but the dash too hard to put it so im just gonna paint mine. So let me know whoever want it. I will show my car when it done.
Old 07-23-06, 03:18 PM
Dramon
Driver

Originally Posted by IronCobra
If you can talk them down to $1500 then you might want to risk it. Also, if you have the money laying around and it won't hurt you financially then you might want to buy it as a project car.

Here is my breakdown of repair costs:
$1500- Body Work and New Paint Job (Medium quality paint job)
$1000- Engine Work. Could cost much more if there are any severe problems. But this should get it in good running shape and cover the cost of timing belt, drive belt, and even a pump or alternator replacement.
$900- Suspension work. You may find that the shocks need replacing and other parts in the suspension like bushing and such. This would also be a good time to invest in lowering the car.
$1000- Interior parts... You can probably find used replacement door panels for around $100 each. You can probably also get the climate control fixed or replaced used for around $200. Replacing the leather (if you do the labor yourself) will cost around $400 for the new seat covers. And then you can pick up the other small parts (door handle and such) reletively cheap from a Lexus dealership or a salvage yard.
$1500- wheels and tires. This could buy you some good quality 18" wheels with tires if you shop around.

Total invested into the car: $6100.00
Total that should be invested right away after purchase: $3500

If you can afford to put that money into the car right after getting it, then you might want to consider. Good luck!
Realizing you spend more than you should have: Priceless

Quick Reply: pics of the $2000 Sc300...