SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Videos of annoying noises in my 93 SC400...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06 | 11:59 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Default Videos of annoying noises in my 93 SC400...

This is my main problem of annoyance, there is this "fluttering" noise and I hear it usually around 20 MPH when I am coasting...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...53A7AD0CC57B80

Here's a video of me accelerating, are all noises normal?

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...12489271D03031

Whenever I turn my car off, this loud ticking noise...very annoying! Had someone next to me in a parking space ask me "Wow what's wrong with your car?" -- Any way to fix this?

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...61C32771D28199

Is the interior supposed to be this loud? I've never been in an LS400 before but my co-worker who has one says whenever he's on the phone with someone they can never tell that he's driving because it's very very quiet. Also anyone notice the rattling noise in the beginning, where is that coming from?

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...9A810B3AAA4422
Old 08-01-06 | 12:05 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Third Vid, those are your Precats. Its plenty normal, as that is the sound they make when they cool down, at least thats what someone told me. My Maxima did it, and so does my SC4.
Old 08-01-06 | 05:32 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Third Vid, those are your Precats. Its plenty normal, as that is the sound they make when they cool down, at least thats what someone told me. My Maxima did it, and so does my SC4.
I would think that they are just cooling down, EVERY Lexus we have owned has done it, most Toyotas too for that matter, but yours seem to be going HAYWIRE? Even after I drive my car really hard it doesn't tick that much. It sure ticks a lot, but thats like gunfire ticking

As for the rest of your noises....LOL. My car makes more rattles than yours does. It's just getting old. But that fluttering thing I have no idea. Check out this thread, it might help you locate some of the noises: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193164

Last edited by np20412; 08-01-06 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-01-06 | 07:02 AM
Sweetser
Driver

I put the camera underneath the car so maybe that's why it seems like it's super loud. Weird that it's normal, but oh well. It's my first Lexus so I guess I'm just being a bit ****.

My main concern is locating that "fluttering" noise, it's the problem that annoys me the most when driving.
Old 08-01-06 | 09:53 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Let me ask you, i get this problem sometimes and i was wondering if you get it to. When i drive with my AC on, i hear a rattling on the drivers side, but it sounds like its in the engine bay, or near the door, but its on the outside, like a light metal rattling sound.
Old 08-01-06 | 01:25 PM
eskinol
Lead Lap

Listening to all the vids, almost everything sounds fine? All I can here are your tires rolling and wind seeping through you windows due tue a messed up seal. I heard a clacking sound in the first vid, but I assumed it was you. As far as the cat goes, you need to replace that. That is not normal. A tinging sound after you turn the car off is normal, but while the car is on making that loud racket, that means something is broken. Replace the resonator or cat, one of those is/are your culprit(s). My 2cents.
Old 08-01-06 | 04:41 PM
Sweetser
Driver

the noise in the first vid isn't normal, it only happens when coasting around 20 MPH. I've heard people say it might be the driveshaft bearing?

In the "cats" video, My car was turned off, it doesn't make that ticking noise when the car is on. When I run my car then turn it off is when it starts clanging for about 3 minutes.
Old 08-01-06 | 04:47 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Again the cats are supposed to do that ticking sound, its how they naturaly cool down. And it only happens when you turn your car off, usually after a decent drive.
Old 08-01-06 | 06:17 PM
eskinol
Lead Lap

If I drive my sc today, I'll record the tinging sound I get. The tinging sound is normal. I thought your car was on. On a side note, your tinging sounds like its going crazy. Mine doesn't usually go that crazy, more like ting ting pause ting pause ting ting ting pause ting ting etc.
Old 08-04-06 | 10:31 PM
eskinol
Lead Lap

Here you go, just as promised. Maybe your speaker phone on your camera is really sensitive or something, but this is the sound that I am used to hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaqX4vGdxr0
Old 08-05-06 | 04:52 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sweetser
the noise in the first vid isn't normal, it only happens when coasting around 20 MPH. I've heard people say it might be the driveshaft bearing?

In the "cats" video, My car was turned off, it doesn't make that ticking noise when the car is on. When I run my car then turn it off is when it starts clanging for about 3 minutes.
I am 99% sure it is the driveshaft...I had that problem as well. I changed the bushings on the driveshaft, and fluttering never came back. If you do this yourself, it is alot of work...You have to essentially drop the exhausts as well as some braces to get the shaft out, and be sure to mark both sides of the shaft before taking the 2 pieces apart, so that your balance stays the same. Also, make sure you have all the right tools.

The fluttering actually could not be heard beyond 20-25 mph. It also slowed down as my car slowed down...Is that what happens to yours?

Ryan
Old 08-06-06 | 08:50 AM
Sweetser
Driver

Yes. Like when I'm driving 60 on the highway, it's not there. When I start slowing down to 30MPH it slowly starts making that noise, and when I'm coasting at 20-30 MPH i can hear it very loudly until I come to a complete stop, then it goes away. It mostly can be heard when the car is moving at 20-30 MPH without pressing the gas.
Old 08-06-06 | 07:53 PM
Minuet
Rookie

Fourth video… I recognize that rattle sound. For me it was a loose screw in the overhead light. I was so darn proud of myself when I figured that out. That rattle drove me nuts.
Old 08-07-06 | 11:34 AM
BC_SC400
Driver School Candidate

Also for the 4th video, you might wnat to check out your resonator underneath your vehicle. see if they have been taken out or what not, since a lot of the guys *including myself* loves the V8 Rumble, and one of the cheap mods to do is to take out the resonator or the muffler and just weld the tips back for a louder exhuast note.

You can always add on a resonator or 2 to the existing stock exhaust pipes to make the noise less noticible.