SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Which SC for me??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 09:38 PM
93VR4nPA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which SC for me??

Hello....I'm a newb here, and I have a few questions. I'm seriously thinking about parting ways with my BPU 3000GT VR4, and going with a "project" Lexus SC. I dearly love my current platform and all of the accolades and attention I receive when driving it, but frankly, it's just not a friendly platform to highly modify. They make little in the way of mass produced performance parts, and being an AWD platform, it has certain limitations. The AWHP to dollar ratio is just aburd, and to build my car to be a RELIABLE mid 11 sec Daily driver, is probably not worth my time and money. To modify a 6G72 motor the right way, to handle 19+ lbs of boost, would probably cost me in the range of $7k + with a 60k service, and That still doesn't solve the transfer case weakness. That kind of money won't even make a real fast VR4 .The parts needed are over priced, as this platform never had much of an aftermarket following. Can you say $2,400 for fabbed FMIC kit?

Anyways... What are your thoughts as my best course of action to build a moderately priced sleeper SC? I think I'd like to go with a decent sized single turbo set up. Am I better off going with the SC300 or trying to turbo the SC400 8CyL? I don't know a whole lot about Toyota engine options, and which engines came in which year cars, etc. I don't know which bottom ends are stout enough to handle boost for a while until I can rebuild it with forged parts, or which engine options have the biggest aftermarket parts following. (well, I know the Supra JZ motor has a large aftermarket) I'm basically just looking to build a very driveable sleeper, that will run mid 11's. I wouldn't think that should be terrbily hard to accomplish.

Now....as I understand things so far, the 1UZFE is the best choice for bottom end strength. That is the SC400 engine, correct? I have not yet figured out which engine options were available in the SC300 based on year. I'd appreciate it if someone would take the time to break down the engines by model and year, and tell me based on past history, which platform would serve my purpose best. I also understand that the UZFE doesn't have much of an aftermarket, and that forged parts are quite costly compared to most 8cyl motors...not sure if I like the small displacement 8, although it could prolly be bored out at some point.

I guess I should also figure out my transmission options too. I'm guessing to have an ATX built up, would be pretty costly, compared to getting an MTX, and buying a good street clutch for it. I have NO IDEA what my tranny options would be, or if I'd be better suited with a 5 or 6 speed MTX...again, I'm new to the this platform, and i'm searching for info and learning as I go. I believe I once read that the MKIV with the ATX, was actually a faster 1/4 mile car than the MTX, but it lacked on the top end. Thanks for all of the help! I hope to have many more meaningful discussions in the future.

Last edited by 93VR4nPA; 08-03-06 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-03-06, 10:01 PM
206bruce
Rookie

C'mon, you should know better that these question you're asking has been answered already. You know you got a lot of reading up to do right? Even a google search will bring up some stuff for you to read. Try the search in this forum? And you know that someone who "would take the time to break down the engines by model and year, etc" for you starts with www in his name right? Well here he is:

http://www.intellexual.net/

That's a start. Good luck and and welcome to CL.
Old 08-03-06, 10:04 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

aftermarket parts for the SC300 being a NA version of the supra motor would be most easiest and most economical way to make some horsepower compared to the sc400 that is. the 1992-2000 SC300 all came with an I6 engine making 225hp. the 1998-2000 SC400 has 290hp, 1996-1997 has 260hp, and the oldest 1992-1995 has 250hp. if you wanted a daily driver i sould suggest the newest 1998+ models with 290hp. for power definetly go the NA route. with the NA you can get a single turbo and make it a NA-T or swap it for a TT supra motor. i myself don't know too much about engines and platforms and such, but here's a start for you. you can learn alot more from intellexual.net and using the search here. gluck with your decision!
Old 08-03-06, 10:05 PM
93VR4nPA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 206bruce
C'mon, you should know better that these question you're asking has been answered already. You know you got a lot of reading up to do right? Even a google search will bring up some stuff for you to read. Try the search in this forum? And you know that someone who "would take the time to break down the engines by model and year, etc" for you starts with www in his name right? Well here he is:

http://www.intellexual.net/

That's a start. Good luck and and welcome to CL.
He He....Thanks a million! That's all I really needed, was a starting point...It's greatly appreciated. Now I feel all warn and fuzzy...
Old 08-03-06, 10:07 PM
93VR4nPA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nysupraman
aftermarket parts for the SC300 being a NA version of the supra motor would be most easiest and most economical way to make some horsepower compared to the sc400 that is. the 1992-2000 SC300 all came with an I6 engine making 225hp. the 1998-2000 SC400 has 290hp, 1996-1997 has 260hp, and the oldest 1992-1995 has 250hp. if you wanted a daily driver i sould suggest the newest 1998+ models with 290hp. for power definetly go the NA route. with the NA you can get a single turbo and make it a NA-T or swap it for a TT supra motor. i myself don't know too much about engines and platforms and such, but here's a start for you. you can learn alot more from intellexual.net and using the search here. gluck with your decision!

Good lookin out, bro....Thanks for taking the time to help!