SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC3 vs. SC4 - Pros/Cons/Costs

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 09:55 AM
Nosser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC3 vs. SC4 - Pros/Cons/Costs

Hello all. Let me preface this post by saying that I have already searched and am familiar with the differences in specifications between the 300 and 400.

Let me first explain my motivation for considering an SC, and my thoughts on which version I should be considering. I formerly drove a first gen Q45 and loved that car's power and refinement. I have always adored the early SCs styling and it seems that it is similar if not equal to my Q in terms of performance. I work in advertising for Toyota so I would like something that I can proudly park in front of HQ, but for anyone who as ever worked in the ad business, you know I can't afford a whole lot. Modifications would be kept to a minimum - wheels, suspension, exhaust, and that's about it. Not looking for a screamer, just a refined looker with enough power to move when I want it to.

Given the above, I have come to the following conclusions. First, given that these cars have a resale value trend roughly akin to a death spiral, I think it is worth forgoing a 97+ model as they are still commanding a serious premium over the earlier cars, even with similar mileage. Next, the 260 hp cars don't seem to have any real performance edge over the 250 hp cars, so I can't see any real reason to prefer one. Is this a safe assumption? Finally, the 400s seem to command no more (if not less) money than the 300s. That being said, I think my best bet is to find a '92-'95 400 with low miles (under say 80k). These cars are quite affordable, and I am not aware of any real disadvantage they have compared to the earlier cars. Were there any early production issues that were addressed in later models?

It seems clear that SCs are damn near bulletproof, and from what I have been able to glean from most of the posts here neither 300 or 400 models seem to be appreciably more prone to issues than the other. Is this a correct assumption? I have read of issues mostly centered around the accessory drive (ps pump, alternator, etc.) - these are repairs I could easily handle so I am not too worried about them. I am assuming they are similarly common in both models? Finally, for more involved maintenance like timing belt changes, can anyone advise the difference in cost between 2JZ and 1UZ cars? Any other issues that should make me think twice before choosing the V8 car?

Sorry for the length of this post but I figured it was best for me to get all my questions out of the way first and hopefully give you all enough info that you could answer them easily. Thanks very much in advance and I'm looking forward to hanging out here on the board.
Old 08-04-06, 10:22 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Sc400's are more of a challenge to build up and that is why I like it...Lot's of torque in the V8 motors compared to the smaller liter sized straight six SC300 motors....I also like the wing on the trunk, that gives the car a little extra in looks....What else the stock SC400 rims look much better then the stock sc300 rims..That is all I can think of off the top of my head.....
Old 08-04-06, 11:18 AM
Khiladi
Driver

As far as Timing Belt goes, not sure on the cost difference, but the 1UZ motors have a longer interval between belt changes when compared to the 2JZ. 1UZ is supposed to be changed at 90K, though many have waited much longer as the belt is in good shape at 90K most of the time. The 2JZ is set to be changed at 60K, though that may be a little conservative as well.
One reason the later SC400s have a significant price hike over earlier years, is that the 98+ had 290 hp, which helped their 0-60 times quite a bit. Other than that, the earlier SC4's don't feel any faster than my 2JZ normally aspirated (with bolt-ons and tuning) Supra. And my Supra is overweight (3550lbs) albeit with a manual tranny.
Old 08-04-06, 12:02 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...get a 400 and be done with it.

bye bye.
Old 08-04-06, 12:45 PM
scsrock
Pole Position

Timing belt is a one time cost, so shouldn't be a factor.
If you like an automatic, then settle with SC400.
SC300 can come 5-sp, which is less sophisticated -> can be more reliable.
Those who do ultimate engine mods prefer SC300 (Supra guys).
Old 08-04-06, 01:02 PM
Nosser
Driver School Candidate

Given the rarity of 5-speed cars I have already aknowledged that I will need to go auto unless I want to go shopping nationwide for months - which I don't. That being the case, I guess the general consensus is that operating costs are the same either way?
Old 08-04-06, 01:15 PM
Khiladi
Driver

If you are satisfied with auto, then i would also get a 400. Gas mileage is not too much different either.
Old 08-04-06, 05:01 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

i found my 5-speed locally. they are out there u just have to look in other places then autotrader, ebay. try local paper.

o yeah a stock sc3 is slow as *****.
Old 08-04-06, 05:20 PM
Sweetser
Driver

The only reason I'd say get an SC300 is if you want a MKIV Supra.... but can't afford it.

Get the SC300 in Manual if you want to swap a 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE and build it into a high HP monster. I'm not looking to offend anybody but I've heard a lot of people call the SC300 a "poor man's supra"

Other than that, SC400 is the way to go..... Lexus' flagship car, top of the line, more luxurious, definatley more prestige, more respect, even though it's a V8 it gets relatively the same gas mileage as the 6 (if not better)...... I was looking for a Daily Driver so I wanted an Automatic and cleary, this was the one to go with. I'm not planning to build it into a street monster cause then I would've bought a Supra.
Old 08-04-06, 07:57 PM
supra_trd
Driver

98+ SC400/GS400(4 doors) nothing to worry.
Old 08-04-06, 08:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosser
Given the rarity of 5-speed cars I have already aknowledged that I will need to go auto unless I want to go shopping nationwide for months - which I don't. That being the case, I guess the general consensus is that operating costs are the same either way?
5 speeds are not rare. They were once thought rare, but after they became popular, they flew by the thousands out of the woodwork. If you want one, you can have one.... as well as all ten of your neighbors. That IMO is not rare.
Old 08-05-06, 05:19 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

I have a 300 and I actually want to settle on a 400 simply because I want the 400 to be the last car I ever buy. (If anyone knows of a SC400 RSP w/ Tan interior, let me know )

I have noticed lots of sc300's get new engines (n/a and FI), but I have yet to see anyone that was not using FI destroy a sc400 (or ls400, or gs400... etc).
Old 08-05-06, 07:40 PM
Taco28
Driver School Candidate

I am in a similar boat as you and got a 95 sc400 in great shape with 120k. I did exhaust and supra TT springs with adjustable shocks and besides some new wheels in the future I am done and I love the car!

I would get a 400 cuz you don't sound like a racer which is the only reason in my eyes to get a 300

If you get a 400 find one with a replaced ps pump/alternator and new timing belts. They are solid as hell
Old 08-06-06, 05:17 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

I've owned both a 92" SC400 and SC300 and cost for parts seem fairly close. However, labor might cost more for the SC400.

If an automatic transmission is what you are looking for then the SC400 is the better choice IMO because they have more power than the SC300 and better exhaust tone. As long as you keep up with maintenance then the car will last you a long time.

But be careful and don't do what I did. I found a 92" SC300 5spd for a decent price but didn't inspect the car very well and found out later that the previous owner(s) neglected maintenance. At the end, I was left with many expensive repairs!!

Parts that I've replaced so far in less than 6 months:

Spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap and rotor, water pump, timing belt, radiator, top and bottom radiator hoses, starter, valve cover gasket, intake manifold gaskets, two 02 sensors, battery, new but used engine(bad head gasket due to blown radiator), transmission mount, 2 motor mounts, clutch, drive belts, radiator cap, brake pads all around, passenger side headlight, windshield wipers, distributor o-ring seal, new tires, shocks, and trunk struts....$$$$$$$!!!!

Need to replace: Altenator, power steering pump, dash board light and needles.

Sure these are all wear and tear parts, but most or some of these repairs could have beem prevented with proper maintenance.

I didn't have these kind of problems with my SC400 because the owner(s) before took really good care of it.

Just make sure the car you want to purchase is well inspected before you purchase it.

~Josh
Old 08-08-06, 07:01 AM
scsrock
Pole Position

Wow, it's probably the environment that the car was in that caused that many things to fail. Many things you listed wouldn't require maintenance ... those I've never paid attention to (e.g. alternator, power steering pump, lights, motor mounts, cap, sensors, starter, ....)

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
Parts that I've replaced so far in less than 6 months:

Spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap and rotor, water pump, timing belt, radiator, top and bottom radiator hoses, starter, valve cover gasket, intake manifold gaskets, two 02 sensors, battery, new but used engine(bad head gasket due to blown radiator), transmission mount, 2 motor mounts, clutch, drive belts, radiator cap, brake pads all around, passenger side headlight, windshield wipers, distributor o-ring seal, new tires, shocks, and trunk struts....$$$$$$$!!!!

Need to replace: Altenator, power steering pump, dash board light and needles.

Quick Reply: SC3 vs. SC4 - Pros/Cons/Costs