SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Soarer Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 03:56 PM
soaringdan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soarer Headlights

Hi All, I just joined and found lots of good info. I am doing some inital research and am trying to find out if the Toyota soarer headlights are dot or sae approved. I am trying to find out in advance if i will have to think about getting new headlights since i am planning on importing one from Japan to Canada. I hope to have a good car in the end. Also i know i posted the same question in the lighting section but thought this might be viewed by a larger number of users.

thanks for any info or pics.

dan
Old 08-05-06, 06:47 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do you want Soarer headlights? They're just going to point in the wrong direction.
Old 08-05-06, 07:02 PM
phade
Driver School Candidate

I'll let you know what happens when I go through the Out of Province inspeciton. My Soarer should be here this week sometime, so it should be pretty quick.
Old 08-06-06, 05:44 PM
drnkcarlos
Driver

I doubt they are DOT or SAE approved unless your getting a kouki model (even then I'm not sure they would be either)... but considering the age of most of the affordable Soarers these days doubt you'll find they comply. I think you should just order the american/canadian equivalents swap them out and you should be ok. just so you aren't blinding people in the other lane... plus good excuse to get those non fogged up lights for the first couple months
maybe you should order a spare dash cluster too ... your going to hate the blinky dash...trust me I hate mine.
Old 08-07-06, 04:58 AM
natesiy
Rookie

My Soarer came in with DOT stamped on the headlights.

I went through inspection about 2 months ago with no problems. I haven't switched them over yet. They do flare to the wrong side but with the sharp cutoff, they don't seem to blind much oncoming traffic.

I'm still going to do a nice retrofit on them, but for the time being, they passed the BC provincial inspection. I don't know about Alberta tho.
Old 08-07-06, 09:15 PM
soaringdan
Driver School Candidate

Hi natesiy, awsome! I guess that just means i will have one less headache to deal with when the car does get imported. Of course i will eventauly have to have the sorted out, but it will give me time. And also the the other replies i will most diffenitly have to get an extra gauge cluster cause it seems so common.