SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

retractable mirrors, I gotta bring it up

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 02:02 AM
hybridrift
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retractable mirrors, I gotta bring it up

so I did a search about the JDM power folding mirrors and came up with some old stuff from 2002 but didnt see anyone that actually installed 'em. Heres the deal, I have a set of soarer power folding mirrors, i want to install them no really, has anyone done this? or is there anyone on here that knows modules and/or relays very well? If yes....

there are 7 wires but we will only focus on 6. red, black, brown, yellow, green and blue.

red and black are connected to the folding motor

black, yellow, green, blue and brown are connect to a plate ground.

If you probe Red wire with the black grounded, the mirror folds in, towards the car.
if you probe the black wire and gorund the red, the mirror folds out, away form the car.

How can I make a relay turn that red wire into a from a power to a ground, and vise-versa? Is there some sort of module that comes with the soarer that controles that or is it just by clever relays?

Let me know guys this would be a cool thing to have and show my buddy that sold me the car
Old 08-06-06, 05:37 AM
Donovan
Driver School Candidate

They do wonders when your going through tight spots in the city..

Old 08-06-06, 07:01 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i posted the question here, hopefully someone posts:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=81260&PN=1
Old 08-06-06, 02:10 PM
Chawk60
Pole Position

Folding mirrors are certainly decorative here, but absolutely necessary when driving down side streets in Kamakura, Shinjuku, etc. While it may not seem like it, the Soarer is a big car in Japan.
Old 08-06-06, 02:50 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I've figured out the plug on the mirrors. Its pretty easy, as it just requires a 12v to fold in, and reverse the 12v to fold out. It has a sensor for the position of the mirror. The up/down/left/right is also easy, and it works on the same basis as the folding. Unfortunately, there is no sensor for the mirror position. Sometime in the future, I plan on doing a microcontroller for these mirrors with more functions, such as tilting down when in reverse, etc.

Are the mirrors decorative? I don't think so. The LS430 has power folding mirrors too
Old 08-06-06, 03:58 PM
Chawk60
Pole Position

01331- It would be great to keep the club posted on your controller when you complete it. WRT 'decorative', I meant that stateside (as the roads are much wider and many people have a garage) the real need to fold mirrors here is quite low for the average driver compared to Japan. Dijobou?
Old 08-06-06, 05:57 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty much pimp nasty to drive down the road wiggling your sideview mirrors with your music... dang it'd be just like the jetta commercial, I can see it now
...first it's drivers wanted, now this... what's wrong with me???

seriously though, it's a great feature to have, just in case you're in a close quarters situation, such as parking in a garage or the like.
Old 08-06-06, 06:20 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chawk60
01331- It would be great to keep the club posted on your controller when you complete it. WRT 'decorative', I meant that stateside (as the roads are much wider and many people have a garage) the real need to fold mirrors here is quite low for the average driver compared to Japan. Dijobou?
I'll keep you guys posted

Originally Posted by hybridrift
How can I make a relay turn that red wire into a from a power to a ground, and vise-versa? Is there some sort of module that comes with the soarer that controles that or is it just by clever relays?
The JDM Soarer comes with a different ECU for the mirrors. That's the module. I've got one laying around that I'd be willing to let go off.

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
seriously though, it's a great feature to have, just in case you're in a close quarters situation, such as parking in a garage or the like.
Or trying to get around an H1 that double parked somebody
Old 08-06-06, 07:00 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

u could sell them to me and when i get my viper installed they will fold i when i arm it..
Old 08-06-06, 08:00 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing about the JDM mirrors. The ones I have are not heated, while the ones in the SC are. So you'd have to run another two wires into the mirror through the harness and use the actual mirror from the SC because of the difference in zoom (the passenger mirror is a bit zoomed in on our cars, explainig the warning. On the JDM mirrors, its the other side, and it gets weird fast).
Old 08-07-06, 10:08 AM
Donovan
Driver School Candidate

Oh **** my mirrors are heated to? haha
Old 08-07-06, 06:06 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Donovan
Oh **** my mirrors are heated to? haha
I do not know if they are on the soarer. They were not on the soarer mirrors I got. But my mirrors weren't fully loaded either, they don't have the shake feature. One way to check if the mirrors are heated is to turn on the rear defroster. That is the circuit that controls the mirror heater. Another way to check is to remove the mirror glass and to see if it has wires running to it.
Old 08-07-06, 06:49 PM
fosterjd24
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the mirrors auto dimming as well?
Old 08-07-06, 06:50 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fosterjd24
Are the mirrors auto dimming as well?
On the later models (AutoCountorSC was selling some autodimming mirros from his 99 a while back).

He said there was a harness connected to the mirror (for the light sensor).
Old 08-08-06, 07:12 AM
Donovan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 0l33l
I do not know if they are on the soarer. They were not on the soarer mirrors I got. But my mirrors weren't fully loaded either, they don't have the shake feature. One way to check if the mirrors are heated is to turn on the rear defroster. That is the circuit that controls the mirror heater. Another way to check is to remove the mirror glass and to see if it has wires running to it.

Definetly will give it a try as soon as I find out wtf is wrongwith my turboes

Quick Reply: retractable mirrors, I gotta bring it up