existing air filter box, or purchasing a "bolt on" kit, such as the
one available on E-bay for $70.00

Thanks.
Old 10-06-01, 09:35 PM
banking
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile reply to markmaz regarding k&N

The one on ebay for 70.00 is not a bad deal considering that you're getting the adapter and conical filter. There is a panel k&n
filter on ebay as well for only 21.00 or 29.00 which is a direct replacement of the stock filter. Very good price but I would try to find out the condition of it.
As far as performance the panel kn filter will give a small noticeable hp and the open conical filter will give you an increase hp in the upper rpm while sacrificing low end. To counter that just simply build yourself an heat shield like the ones on the forums.
If you have not done anything else to your car just buy the panel k&n filter.
But then again at that price of 70.00 for the adapter and conical filter that is a very good deal.

Have fun and keep in mind the increase in hp is around 2-3 hp at most.
Old 10-06-01, 09:58 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

MarkMaz, I'm glad you got thru in posting on the site! I posted your procedure on the head light condensation on your SC. I put it in the "damnnnnnnnn" thread.

Looking forward to your posts!

WELCOME, BACK "BANKING"!!! How was the trip? I sent a message to your email on yahoo, did you get it. I still want the products if you have them including the steering wheel. I can come get them this week as in Tues. or Wed. just name the place and time!!! Hit me on the private message or my email at The_Ikon1911@yahoo ASAP... thanks my friend!

The Ikon
Old 10-07-01, 09:56 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without adding the K&N panel filter,the first improvement I found to improve the intake was to open up the nozzle behind the front bumper.
The factory placed the nozzle less than an inch away from the bumper structure,and this impairs flow greatly.By trimming back the plastic on just the bottom of the part,about 2.5",you'll get a noticable increase.I removed the part,was a hassle,but you could just go at it with a sharp boxknife I suppose if you can reach it.
The K&N added a little more of a bonus after this was done,but this did more than just the filter replacement.
Cool air,stock appearance,increased performance,low cost are all good things to me with this car anyways.
Old 10-07-01, 10:09 PM
banking
Rookie

Thumbs up SCV8

SCV8

That is so weird that you had suggested that tip because I had also noticed how small that snorkel or whatever its called on the airbox. So I just took off about two inches off of that. I even experimented with my extra stock airbox and enlarged that opening at the bottom by an 1" all around. Then I made a snorkel just like the stock one but bigger to completely cover the enlarged opening. I silicone the crap out of it and made sure it was sealed tight. The snorkel I made extended down almost to the front opening of the bumper unlike the stock one where it almost touches the headlamp and bumper. I noticed a decent little itty bitty increase along w/the kn filter. But I got my adapter back on for looks only.
This my sound weird or dumb but I had also made my heat shield to where it also covers the massair as well. I even took some header wrap and wrapped the intake piping for the fun of it. Don't know if it did any good but just trying to keep it cool.
Sorry for the long response.
Old 10-08-01, 02:52 AM
methodmf
Pole Position

Smile k&n filter on ebay

i recently purchased the k&n filter on ebay. it havnt arrive yet so i wanna kno if anybody order it and wut they think about it.
70 bucks for a intake...... not bad if it does the job right
Old 10-08-01, 09:32 PM
banking
Rookie

Question methodmf

methodmf

The kn panel filter and the intake adapter w/filter for sale on ebay is well worth the money. Both will give you a small increase in hp and will last you a very long time granted that you take care of it. I think the intake adapter sounds cool when revving the engine.
Old 10-09-01, 11:14 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: methodmf

Originally posted by banking
methodmf

The kn panel filter and the intake adapter w/filter for sale on ebay is well worth the money. Both will give you a small increase in hp and will last you a very long time granted that you take care of it. I think the intake adapter sounds cool when revving the engine.
Well, check out mvpmotorsports.com for some cool stuff.
Old 10-10-01, 11:11 PM
banking
Rookie

Thumbs up DlrEctQL

DlrEctQL

Thanks for that site!
Old 10-17-01, 07:43 PM
methodmf
Pole Position

i just received the k&n filter from ebay. i thought an arm would come with the filter but it didn't. is it suppose to come with the arm?
Old 10-17-01, 09:01 PM
methodmf
Pole Position

i just received the k&n filter from ebay. i thought an arm would come with the filter but it didn't. is it suppose to come with the arm?
Old 10-18-01, 04:27 AM
black sc
Pole Position

No adapter or tubing just, the air filter cone. That sucks, you can get those for $20 new. I ordered an Amsoil foam filter. I heard they collect less dust than K&N. I also heard K&Ns collect less dust than OEM but, isn't that the price of performance for the intake at least?