Need Some Reasoning To Keep My Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-06, 07:24 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need Some Reasoning To Keep My Car

Hi guys,

I don't know where this should be posted, but it's posted here since it involves my Soarer.

Anyway, I've been thinking of late to sell my Soarer for a GS300. Each time I get into my Soarer I'm scared that something is going to go wrong (e.g. in the past couple of weeks my car has been keyed, reversed into and a minor hit-and-run when I wasn't around). Also, for some odd reason I'm feeling the need for 4-doors and something a little bit cheaper to run. It's a beautiful car and all however I'm sick of all the crap that happens to it.

So here's the deal, I'm looking at a 2000 GS300 with nearly 150000kms on the clock (or about 92000mls), silver on black, with factory HID, leather and sunroof going for $22000. My car is a 1997 Soarer VVTi with single-turbo, black on black with velour interior and no sunroof and 83000kms (515xx mls).

I don't know if it's a good basis but my insurance renewal has a covered market value of $24000. If you were in my shoes, would you sell the Soarer for the GS300 or no? What would be your reasons?

Much appreciated, TIA.

Jose
Old 08-13-06, 07:31 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I own a GS400 and an SC300. I would choose my GS 100% over my SC. I love both cars, but the GS is where it's at for me right now. But then again I don't have boost

If you want space and luxury - GS. If you want speed then keep the SC.

Jonny
Old 08-13-06, 08:04 PM
andrew_A_3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should post this on the gs forum too to get both pros and cons of both cars. keep the sc you'll get noticed more

Last edited by andrew_A_3; 08-13-06 at 08:08 PM. Reason: forgot to give opinion
Old 08-13-06, 08:40 PM
eskinol
Lead Lap

A more luxurious spacious car or a somewhat constricting sport coupe. If you have family or lots of friends who don't drive that rely on you, GS. But if your friends don't need rides because they all have they're own cars and you don't have a family to drive around, SC all the way. They're both great, and both capable of TT swaps ^^. Can't go wrong with either.

-esk
Old 08-14-06, 02:48 AM
FiSta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eskinol
A more luxurious spacious car or a somewhat constricting sport coupe. If you have family or lots of friends who don't drive that rely on you, GS. But if your friends don't need rides because they all have they're own cars and you don't have a family to drive around, SC all the way. They're both great, and both capable of TT swaps ^^. Can't go wrong with either.

-esk
couldn't say it better...
Old 08-14-06, 11:44 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Memphisacc
Don't do it.

The gs 3 is a snooze to drive, look at, and sit in. Don't get me wrong its an excellent car, but if i ever owned one it'd be strictly used to cart children and take long road trips.

I enjoy a nimble vehicle regaurdless of size, and the GS is like riding on a cloud.

The GS does give you a nice level of baller status though, and there is plenty that can be done to it both with the motor and looks, just depends on how far you want to take it, but in stock form id look to another sedan than the GS.

If I went used sedan from the years of 98-03 id have to go with an S4.

I am partial to a 2 door though, just every time i go back to a 4dr all i do is moan about having to carry people around....people leave stuff in the back it gets dirty and i get more frustrated....
He wants a RELIABLE car...
Old 08-14-06, 12:22 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...very hard decision.

But if I was going to sell my turbocharged SC300 and get an GS300, I would not do it.

However, if it was for a GS400 then I might. I test drove a GS300 before purchasing my SC300(5spd) and the car felt really slow compared to my previous SC400.

But if you need a sedan or just prefer one, then why not go for it. But try looking at a GS400 and see if that changes your decesion.

~Josh
Old 08-14-06, 12:37 PM
SCSJ
Lead Lap

sc all the way ^_^
Old 08-14-06, 12:43 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That's a hard one boost is addictive you will miss the boost and tempted to do the same to the GS3. Who knows maybe you'll swap in the Aristo motor later on . Are the Aristo's popular over there vs NA GS3's?
Old 08-14-06, 12:46 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

wussup jose,

we just got a 2001 gs430 in the family. im telling u after i swapped in the 1jz in the SC, i wouldnt sell it for a gs3. i dont like the interior of the GS. i mean its a smoother ride. but i luv the SC.
Old 08-14-06, 12:59 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

About a couple months ago I was very close to selling my SC and getting a 01-02 GS300 as well. But instead, I decided to drop a 2JZGTE into my SC. Im also slowly going to do whatever I can to make the SC as good as new.

What stopped me from going GS was a seeing that some people were having their wierd problems with the GS. Now by wierd problems I mean nothing serious, but just regular problems that all cars have, like our SC's have the headlight problems. If I were to sell my SC that I worked hard for, it would be for a brand new car that would give me no headaches whatsover. With a GS, I'd probably still be fixing little things as the 00-01 models I was looking at almost all had over 80K. I figure I might as well just fix whats bugging me about the SC now. Rather then spend alot and still have quirks to address.

Point is, if I could afford a brand new 3rd Gen GS300 for the SC, then I would probably do it. But not for something I would still have to fix.
Old 08-14-06, 02:46 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

If not the SC, get a GS400/430.
Old 08-14-06, 08:40 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my SC with intentions to boost my car. but after all the money i have spent on the car and still have no turbo to show for it, I wish I bought a GS400 instead.
I still love the look and feel of my car, but a 4 door is more practical for me at this time
Old 08-14-06, 09:21 PM
natesiy
Rookie

Just a string of bad luck with the SC.

Just analyze what is better for your needs. Don't sell it just based on getting keyed and hit and run. That can all be fixed and probably made better.
Old 08-14-06, 09:59 PM
scsrock
Pole Position

Stay away from the SC for a while and you'll miss it. Agree, it's not practical; I like it mostly because there aren't many SCs around. There isn't any other for you to look up either because the model was discontinued.

Having said that, my wife keeps asking me to sell the car. She thinks it doesn't help at all SC is an affordable used luxury probably because it's not practical.

Quick Reply: Need Some Reasoning To Keep My Car