SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

how safe is your sc in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 09:42 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've only had all season tires and the only "trouble" I've had is under acceleration. Toyo, which got real slippery after 20K miles; Falken, which are pretty sticky and pretty good actually; and Michellin, also got really slippery after 10K miles. The TRAC feature certainly saved the car a few times...phew. That said, I've also had a bit of fun making the car slide around.
Old 08-16-06, 09:49 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It is all about the tires your running and the climate your using them in ,but any car will hydroplane if the conditions are just right regardless of the tires. My SC300/400 along with all of the Lexus's have been great in the rain. Just know your/cars limitations and respect mother nature as she can be painful at times.
I also ran Kumhos 712's. Great in the rain.
Old 08-17-06, 05:08 PM
lex_luther
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 92 SC is alot better and my 92 LS was. BFGs on the SC and Continentals on the LS. I was scared to touch the gas pedal while turning in the rain in the LS after the TC went out because it would rotate so easy. But dont get me wrong the SC will get loose in a hurry too...its just takes more provocation. Like it was said before it comes down to the tires.
Old 08-17-06, 09:58 PM
edslock
Driver School Candidate

Well glad all that happend was some wet underwear, I have 93 sc300 and it happened to me but not as bad. Rain came out of nowhere and it felt kind of loose in the seat, then rear end broke loose had a mind of its own. I downshifted and got control wheeee. Later I found one of the links on the rearend was bent just a little so I got another one and put it on and it seemed fine till I hit some water and it tried the same thing. So I took it to dealer for alignment and later did the same thing again. I also noticed tires were wearing a lot so I took it to an alignment shop and they aligned it again. Havent had a problem since. Cost 79.00. Remember these cars have to have 4wheel alignment and if the rear is out a little then hold on!
Old 08-17-06, 11:25 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
It is all about the tires your running and the climate your using them in ,but any car will hydroplane if the conditions are just right regardless of the tires. My SC300/400 along with all of the Lexus's have been great in the rain. Just know your/cars limitations and respect mother nature as she can be painful at times.
I also ran Kumhos 712's. Great in the rain.

i second the kumho 712 i ran them on the front during snow touge runs to go snowboarding they work great
Old 08-19-06, 01:11 AM
deruvian
Driver

Ohh man, no one got the "jet f0cking black" reference? Lest it be forgotten, here is a linky... J.F.B.

Anyone that's been around a while will remember this. Funny as hell.
Old 08-19-06, 01:36 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Im normally not one to laugh but Ahahhahahahahhahah!!!!!!

In all seriousness I use Falken GRBetas 451s this tires have awesome grip in dry or wet no complains. And I take it rather easy on the wet, if im going to accelarate I do it when im pointed the direction i want to go and wheel is straight, other wise yea, the car will slide.
Old 08-21-06, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 92 that I used to have is not safe. It has too much torque. It has no traction control and you have to be light footed (or just skilled).
Old 08-22-06, 03:35 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetser
Wow, I agree. Nitto 555 in the rain is a no-no.

Get BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW.. BEST TIRE for Dry & Wet weather!
yup, i concur 100%
Old 08-27-06, 01:58 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

My SC is a manual shift without traction control, and I have never lost control of the car in heavy rain or wet road conditions. I did note when I got the car that one of the rear wheels liked to cut loose around turns (this was with Firestone all season touring tires - yuck).

One of the first things I did when I got my SC was to search Tirerack.com and look for tires in the "high performance all season" category, and look at the performance ratings and consumer reviews for them.

Factory size on the 92 SC300 is 215/60-15. The OEM wheels will accept a 225/60-15 and still fit correctly. This slightly wider profile improves traction and handling stability. So I looked for some tires in the 225/60-15 size, and which had good "dry" and "rain" performance characteristics.

I've gone through a few different sets now, of varying brands. Currently they are BF Goodrich G-Force Sport, and they have been excellent tires so far (they're almost ready for replacement).

The safety of a car in terms of handling is only as good as where the car meets the road, i.e. the tires. I'm used to driving RWD cars without traction control, so getting an SC was not novel to me in that sense. But the wider tire size and the all-season spec performance tires have made the car much safer and more predictable. I can trust it in the rain now.
Old 08-27-06, 04:50 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

I feel more confident in the rain in my SC than in any other car I've owned. Including my other SC. The big wheels and contact patch of the tires help, but the TCS works very well, and the car doesn't feel like it's blowing in the wind like my CL-S and Prelude did.

I've driven in some torrential downpours the past couple days here in Baton Rouge, and never had an ounce of trouble.
Old 08-29-06, 10:12 PM
nismo2trd
Pole Position

hate to say it..... stretched tires will kill u in the rain..

18x9 225 series
18x10 245 series

i spun out in the rain the other day. while driving in the rain, STRAIGHT at 70mph

bridgestone potenza fronts
bridgestone s-01 rear

Last edited by nismo2trd; 08-29-06 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 12:24 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nismo2trd
hate to say it..... stretched tires will kill u in the rain..

18x9 225 series
18x10 245 series

i spun out in the rain the other day. while driving in the rain, STRAIGHT at 70mph

bridgestone potenza fronts
bridgestone s-01 rear
stretched tires have absolutely zero slip angle... why don't you put some real tires on those wheels...

I have wider tires on the front than you do on the rear...
Old 08-30-06, 07:55 AM
nismo2trd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
stretched tires have absolutely zero slip angle... why don't you put some real tires on those wheels...

I have wider tires on the front than you do on the rear...
because im running 19+ in the front and 15+ in the rear and my car is slammed!
Old 08-30-06, 10:36 PM
Lex Fest95
Driver School Candidate

Pretty bad..especially i have bold tires.

Quick Reply: how safe is your sc in the rain