SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Can't Get The "bulb Is Out" Dummy Light Off...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 08:04 AM
dhnash
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please take a look at this thread for additional information that may help you solve your tail light problem.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=dhnash

The lamp types for the stop (brake) lights also need to match or exceed the current draw rating of the factory spec lamps to avoid triggering the lamp failure warning circuit. Tammy is correct and Raine is on the right track suspecting that the power (wattage), not the voltage rating of the lamps is an important factor. Most of the lamps that are used as replacements and cause problems are rated to operate at the similar or identical voltages, but lower power than the factory spec lamps which translates to a lower current draw. The higher power rating of the factory spec lamps corresponds to a higher current draw which is what the lamp failure warning circuit monitors and it is this difference that prevents the lamp failure warning circuit from triggering.
Old 09-05-06, 11:46 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I got a new owners manual in the mail today, and after reading through it, it does say 5.0 watt bulbs for the parking lights.

I did some more reserach, and found the following:

- type 194 wedge bulbs (the ones I used) are rated at 3.78w; that's 1.22 below 5.0w.

- type 168 wedge bulbs are rated at 4.9w, still 0.1 below factory specifications.

- type W5W wedge bulbs are rated at a full 5.0w, but are ECE (European standard) and might be hard to find in the U.S. (I haven't searched around yet)

Now then, since the "bulb out" circuit measures current draw, it's possible that if you switch to type 168 bulbs on all locations, the dummy light will go off, depending on the sensitivity of the current draw circuit. Some people have said that they replaced all bulbs and this worked; it's safe to assume that if they were all "off the shelf" wedge bulbs from an auto parts store, that they were type 168 bulbs.

That said, if I don't find a convenient and resonably priced place to get W5W bulbs, I think I'm going to try going type 168 for all the parking lights

EDIT: W5W is also known as a type 501 wedge bulb.

EDIT 2: There are many places in the U.S. and on Ebay to get type 501 bulbs, I'm going to get a set and it should fix the problem =)

Last edited by raine; 09-05-06 at 11:51 PM.