SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Can't Get The "bulb Is Out" Dummy Light Off...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-06, 08:54 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Can't Get The "bulb Is Out" Dummy Light Off...

Picked up a 95 SC300 a couple of weeks ago, the "bulb is out" dummy light was on, and I noticed the left upper bulbs on the left tail light (168/194 bulbs) were out, so I replaced them - but no go. The bulbs I installed were new, but they're not lighting up. I did a visual check on the tail light harness and so far everything seems untouched. I was thinking of splicing the left two sockets (the two that are out) to the right two sockets (these work fine), but I'm not sure if the bulbs are in some sort of loop or specific wiring configuration that allows the 'blub is out' light to come on in the first place. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 08-20-06, 09:17 PM
Josh Combs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check all of the side markers too.
Old 08-20-06, 09:44 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Suggest you reference your owners manual for the fuse or fuses that support the failing lamps.
Old 08-20-06, 09:45 PM
Josh Combs
Driver School Candidate

or find the bulb that is out and correct the issue.
Old 08-21-06, 06:42 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Not trying to hijack, but I'm having taillight issues as well. All my lights work, but I'm getting the tail-light out marker usually starting the first time I tap my brakes after the car is started. It will also do it after that almost any time I'm not at idle.

If I'm at idle with everything turned off (radio, etc.) it will usually go away and stay away until the brakes are tapped again. It just kinda comes and goes.
Old 08-21-06, 07:41 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

If a vehicle is used but new or newer to you and you don't know what type or number of bulb is installed, one may have to remove all the bulbs to insure the correct number type, or wattage, is installed. Just because a bulb fits, it might be the wrong wattage or voltage rating, causing the failure indicator.

This could be a pain, but is the only way to insure the correct wattage bulb is installed... In this case, since the brake lamps are causing the error to occur, the brake lamps, including the center should be inspected.

This is the Sylvania site with your bulb numbers.
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm
Old 08-21-06, 12:24 PM
WebStarr
Pole Position

Sometimes on my old 93 SC300 the "bulb out" light would randomly pop on even though no lights were out. It would then randomly go back off. Not sure what was ever wrong with it though.
Old 08-21-06, 08:34 PM
Sweetser
Driver

I've been having this problem lately too, the light of the car in between the temperature gauge and speedo right? It blinks on for about 5 second then goes off. Yet all my bulbs are working fine :shrug:
Old 08-27-06, 07:05 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Car didn't come with a manual, so I had to take the taillight out to check bulb type. Checked voltage, all is good. I found out that the bulbs I put in were bad (newb mistake), so I bought a new pair of bulbs (194) and the lights are all on.

BUT THEN...

...took a 20 minute drive after replacing the bulbs (and checking every other one) and the dummy light came back on. I read that the factory bulbs are of a slightly lower voltage (3w vs. 5w for replacements, or something like that), could this be causing the taillight module to think that there are bulbs out?
Old 08-27-06, 07:54 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

I am attaching a PDF file of your vehicle lamp replacement guide.

If the bulb number matches, the wattage is correct.
Attached Files
Old 08-27-06, 08:07 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Tammy, I found that page a few minutes ago, but there's no actual wattage rating for the tail light bulbs, only bulb type and recommended replacement.

I did 3 walk-arounds of the car to make sure all lights work, and they do. Weird.
Old 08-27-06, 08:18 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

If you register with the Lexus Owners site, you can reorder your owners manuals.

www.lexus.com - Owners section.
Old 08-27-06, 08:37 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Done!

Thanks, although I'm assuming the sc300/sc400 manuals are identical, since when I hit the request button, it said "your SC400 manual will be sent"
Old 08-28-06, 02:11 PM
B1TEM3
Pole Position

- check the socket, I would use electronic cleaner and spray every socket, sand paper if necessary
- check for rusty bulb base?, or bulb that was out and replaced only on one side with newer bulb (different resistance/quality than the one on the other side) (replace all tail light bulbs)
- check tail light water leak, condensation
- buy multi meter and measure resistance
Old 08-28-06, 07:00 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B1TEM3
- check the socket, I would use electronic cleaner and spray every socket, sand paper if necessary
- check for rusty bulb base?, or bulb that was out and replaced only on one side with newer bulb (different resistance/quality than the one on the other side) (replace all tail light bulbs)
- check tail light water leak, condensation
- buy multi meter and measure resistance
Sockets are good, wiring is good, no rust, etc. the car is in excellent condition. I'm going to try replacing all of the taillight bulbs this weekend

Quick Reply: Can't Get The "bulb Is Out" Dummy Light Off...