SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

left door lock doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 09:52 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default left door lock doesnt work

Ok, so when I push the key or press the door lock button on either door, the right door lock does not lock or unlock. The left one does. If I want to lock or unlock it, I have to reach over and do it manually.

When I press the lock switch though, I can see that the right lock twitches a bit but does not actually flip all the way. Anyone have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it? I know how to take the door pannel off. I have a 93 sc 300. Thanks
Old 08-24-06, 11:25 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by silkiechic
Ok, so when I push the key or press the door lock button on either door, the right door lock does not lock or unlock. The left one does. If I want to lock or unlock it, I have to reach over and do it manually.

When I press the lock switch though, I can see that the right lock twitches a bit but does not actually flip all the way. Anyone have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it? I know how to take the door pannel off. I have a 93 sc 300. Thanks

you door lock actuator is potentially toast. try lubricating the actutator assembly. if that doesnt work, replace it. i have one 80 shipped to your door.
Old 08-24-06, 12:54 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

ok, when I get some time to take apart the door again, I'll try to spray it down with some silicon spray stuff. Thanks. If not, I'll look into replacing it. It may be a while though before it can be fully resolved.
Old 08-24-06, 04:42 PM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i have a 93 sc300 and i have the exact same probelm. It sucks i knwo but its not that bad. Ima grease mine here someday when im not lazy. Tell me what happens with urs, i would realy appreciate it.
Old 08-25-06, 10:08 PM
eskinol
Lead Lap

I have the same problem here on the same door, passenger. =( I'll be mad if the motor is toast! Thats alot of money for a motor. If that thing weighs to much, I'll just remove it permenantly for some minor weigh reduction. Haha

-esk
Old 08-25-06, 11:42 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

80 bucks is a lot less than the dealer asking 303 for the part. I'll get to it sometime.
Old 08-26-06, 09:27 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol, i HAD this problem.
i kept locking unlocking quickly, because every now and then it WOULD go...
now it works every time...
iunno, my car started fixing itself on the driver side, while breaking on the passenger(outside handle metal fell off, then broke when window was rolled down.
Old 08-26-06, 01:48 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

haha, beware. It might come back. The probelm with my passenger door actually went away for the entire winter and only has come back for this summer. Wonder if heat has something to do with it. SO far its been warm, but since its cooling down quick now, maybe it will work again
Old 08-26-06, 01:49 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Also an interesting note, everyone with this problem has a 93 sc oddly enough. In a few old posts I found with people who had these problems, it was also on their 93 sc's. hmmm....
Old 08-26-06, 02:12 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

mine just began doing the same thing last night! weird coincidence this thread was just started. either way, i'm going to remove the door panel and have a look inside.
this is on my 94.
Old 08-26-06, 05:45 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have one assembly available, and since i lost my storage space. One lucky person can have this unit for 50 shipped. Its coming off a 96 sc300.
Old 08-27-06, 01:20 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Shoot, I took off the inner door, the plastic to get to the inner door guts, and for the life of me, cannot get to the actuator. I can see it behind the window guide thing, can see what I think are the nuts holding everything in, but can't get the ones holding the railing in to budge. What am I doing wrong? If I can't get it out i'll have to wait another two years before I get a job and can afford to get someone to change it.
Old 08-27-06, 01:25 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

My 92 SC300 started doing this exact thing last month! Both door locks twitch when the buttons are pressed, but one or the other will fail to actually move all the way open or closed. I also assumed it was the actuator or the motor going bad, but I haven't taken the panels off to look yet. I'll have time to do that this week.
Old 08-28-06, 07:14 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

i just replaced my motor lock assembly last night. though my other wasnt going bad; the rod that connected from the door handle to the lock motor was broken. when i finally got everything out i inspected the assymbly. they tend to rust if you get any type of moisture inside the door panel. also, when you guys attempt to swap out the system; be sure to handle with care. those rods are not replaceable. if one breaks; its back to the dealership or junk yard for you. when you expose the door panel; inspect the door cables. where they connect to the locking mechanisim; they do tend to break on the fittings. just replacing those will save you alot of money. to access the lock assembly; there are 3 (10mm) bolts that hold the door handle in place and the 3 allen bolts that hold the motor assymbly together. all you have to do to get the motor out is to remove the bolts from the left window track along side the door; i think there are 5 of them. to get them off your gonna need a think philips screw driver and some muscle. be carefull because they strip easy. just firmly move the track to the right and slip the motor around it. unless you want to pull the whole window out!

this could be where you guys are having problems. by the way; mine is a 95.

Last edited by Answer300; 08-28-06 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-28-06, 07:38 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Yeah, ok. Thanks. For the life of me I could not get the bolts out of the window track. I have this huge screwdriver too and a wrench to go on it. I must weak. My dad couldn't get it eather though. But maybe thats because hes old. The wire rod is fine, because if i push or pull on it, I can make the motor switch. My dad thinks the plastic solenoid went out or something. I might try again later when my bf comes back. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: left door lock doesnt work