SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92' - 00' Speaker replacement help?! Wiz, 935spd, Hell, Max, VQT, Bean etc...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-01, 10:40 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy 92' - 00' Speaker replacement help?! Wiz, 935spd, Hell, Max, VQT, Bean etc...

How do you remove the door panels to get to the speakers in the door without damaging the panel along the top part of the door? This was answered before on the electronics forum, but I can not find it...

I'm finally getting around to changing them<procrastination >, now I can not find the thread.... that figures....

I have a SC400 in case you did not know

*** Also what is a good speakers for $110 and under for the front (w/stock system)

*** What sizes can I use there? 4", 4x6", 5 1/4" or ???

*** Should I go with the component set up(4 or 5" mid bass w/seperate tweeter)... Or 3-way speaker?

**On the woofer side I read so many different opinions on the 10" free air type. I want a good replacement to use with the stock system/amp. Nothing fancy just better than stock...

*** what are good back speakers and sizes needed....

Thanks for the info again...

The Ikon

***ComputerWiz, I got the package today! I'll let you know if it works or not as soon as I get a chance to play around with it... Also, I'll send the $$$ for shipping to you ASAP.(where do you want me to send it? Same address on package or what?)

***Any of you guys with the great systems please give me some info... I don't want to tear up a beautiful door panel or tear any leather/material at all...:eek
Old 10-11-01, 01:12 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
if i remember correctly you have 5 trim screws that are holding the door in place and the only ones that is not obvious are the ones behind the door handle trim plate which you should pry out with a small thin screwdriver and behind the tweeter screen (cover the tip with tape to prevent scratching) the others are located around the the edge of the door
Old 10-11-01, 02:11 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Do I need to take extra precautions for the trim around the window of the door? If I am recalling correctly the past thread had info about breaking or easily damaging the trim around it...

Sorry about all the ???'s. I don't want to mess up the trim at all...
Old 10-11-01, 06:11 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey IKON, I just opened up my driver's side door today. I unscrewed 5 of them plus 2 long screws under the arm holder. It was no problem but I remember there was thread like what you said.
If I find the link, I'll post later.

I opened it up today because my door speaker wasn't working (both side) and I wanted to check to see if it's actually there. conclusion, yes it was there but it's weird. my tweeters are working and I think the speaker and tweeter are connected, so its cable is fine. since both speakers are not working, I'm thinking it's my nakamichi system...I'll test by replacing those speakers to my civic, see if it's speaker's blown.

another thing, my memory seat wasn't working...lexus dealer couldnt even fix it...guess what...when I open the door panel, I found one plug is just sitting there...I connected to memory
seat socket, bingo! it's now activated I can't trust my lexus dealer now on.. I decided to get repair manual and gonna do everything myself.
my side mirror is still not working....that'll be next project...
Ikon, when you open it up, can you tell me if there is one plug is sitting?(this is not for memory seat socket) it's two wire and one is red and one is red and white stripe. I wonder if it's for side mirror..

go back to speakers, yea once I find the problem, I'll upgrade them too, wanna get some infos
Thank you
Old 10-11-01, 06:41 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

here's some links which might help.

http://www.haasentertainment.com/lexus1.htm

and it's GS so it's different but here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=17613

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=18522
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=17685
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&threadid=1557
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=13424

hmm those are the links on my doc file.
I dont know if that's what you looking for.
Old 10-11-01, 07:18 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ikon,

Like other said, there is a screw behind the door handle that's the only thing you need to be careful not to break. The rest of the screws are easy to find. 2 or 3 at the front edge with caps covered. 2 long under the arm rest. 3 or 4 bottom edge. The panel should be pull out easily. If not, there are screw still in there somewhere look for it. The tweeter has a screw to hold it, the speaker is small. I didn't look at it close enough to determine what large size I can put in. My car still have other problems to take care of before I can start on sound sys.
Old 10-11-01, 07:30 PM
YuuDawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the speakers are 4" stock, but people have fit in 5 1/2" with no problem..
i'd go for that, and components would definitely sound better in my opinioin
Old 10-11-01, 07:37 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Taka, I noticed they used a custom enclosure to fit a 6.5" speaker... interesting...

This are great links you found for "The Ikon" thanks I needed these.. My driver's side speaker has been coming in and out for a while I'm tired of it now... I'm trying to get the old SC back in mint condition by spring... a lil' at a time...

I plan to do something every week or so until spring. So I will be bugging the CL members.

VQT, thanks too. I will be posting a thread soon about the power steering pump so get ready my friend! I need your expertise soon on this one. I promise no faxes.. Well I hope not! J/K...
Old 10-11-01, 07:52 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Ikon
Taka, I noticed they used a custom enclosure to fit a 6.5" speaker... interesting...

This are great links you found for "The Ikon" thanks I needed these.. My driver's side speaker has been coming in and out for a while I'm tired of it now... I'm trying to get the old SC back in mint condition by spring... a lil' at a time...

I plan to do something every week or so until spring. So I will be bugging the CL members.

VQT, thanks too. I will be posting a thread soon about the power steering pump so get ready my friend! I need your expertise soon on this one. I promise no faxes.. Well I hope not! J/K...
[/QUOTE

I am not expert on any of this, the last time when changing the O2 sensors my brother has to do it for me:eek:. I haven't fix my steering leaks yet, already bought the seal kit from Carson Toyota. From what I see, I have to take the pump apart to replace all the seals and O rings... Still haven't figured out how to take the pulley off the pump yet :eek:
Old 10-11-01, 08:52 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

hey Ikon, I was looking into replacing my stock sub a couple of months ago. I didn't want to remove the stock amp. Here's a bunch of good info...

(and some quick stats!)
OZ 250H
someone reccomended to me the Infinity Kappa's (don't know the stats on that one)
kicker free air
jl 10ib4

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=19521
Old 10-11-01, 10:26 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

i used the kicker 10" free air and do not use 5.25 mb quarts in the front, because they won't fit. trust me, it tried.
Old 10-12-01, 05:48 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I've got MB Quart Q series 5 1/4" in the front doors. The tweeters just bolt to the factory location and fit under the factory tweeter grille. The mids are way different. When you take off the door panel you'll see the black plastic enclosure that the factory 4" is in. I modified the opening on that so the 5 1/4 would fit, and it fits just fine now. Also, I put the crossover for the speakers inside this enclosure. I know this got rid of some resonation space, but it also let me REALLY hide a componet that the car has no space for. It just sounds awesome too. I think you heard it at NOPI, can't remember if I had it on...

SR
Old 10-12-01, 06:57 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

*VQT, I hope you get that pump fixed soon.

*Yuu, thanks for the info

*Hella, thanks about the woofer info. So which did you decide on? There was a thread on this forum of a guy changing his woofer out with instructions. It was lost in the server change, I beleive. I can not find it or lover looked it...

*Do-Luck do you have info on the change over? Could you post directions if you did it your self? Are you using the stock amp?

*Wiz, yes I heard your system at Nopi and your exhaust when you were missing with that lady inthe Volvo coupe. The speaker sound good. Is there much more road noise in the car now after cutting the enclosure? Did you use a dremel tool when modifying the enclosure(was it done on the car or off)?

*Wiz, where do you want me to send the $$$ for postage? I remember you said you were moving, have you move yet? Did you have any problems with your panels coming off and back on?

*What do you all think about the 6" in the link that Taka posted?
Old 10-12-01, 07:12 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well this isn't my area of expertise as far as the SC cars go lol

I recommend Polk Audio Speakers as components; I've never heard better sounding speakers for the money unless they cost over $500 for a pair...

I could tell you anything you wanted to know about a 300zx and speaker placement hehe
Old 10-12-01, 07:19 AM
CDALTON
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Im sure it sounds good with the 5 1/4's. I decided at the last minute to go with 4 mb quarts. I did not want to hack at the enclosures. If you dont seal the enclosure after going to the 5 1/4, it will defeat the purpose of having the enclosures. I will look for a wrecked SC and get some enclosures that I can mod to fit a 5 1/4. But, I will want it to be sealed like it was a 4. As far as speakers, for me it was between Diamond and MB Quarts. Both are good speakers for the money.

Quick Reply: 92' - 00' Speaker replacement help?! Wiz, 935spd, Hell, Max, VQT, Bean etc...