Old 10-11-01, 12:00 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Pictures of a toyomoto turbo kit on an is300

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
http://www.martaigne.com/is300/turbopics/
i know its not an sc but you get an idea of the quality...Jeff
Yup, also, pickup the last issue of "Turbo" magazine. They'll have a few nice arcticles about few nice IS300s. On of them is the one turboed by Toyomoto. Also gives you some insights on building up the N/A IS300. A lesson we could prolly learn and use with our SC300s.
Old 10-11-01, 01:18 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like a quality install!!
Old 10-12-01, 05:56 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I saw firsthand the Toyomoto install on that IS....nothing but high quality stuff! I'm so thankful that I went with Toyomoto for my turbo instead of F-Max!

SR
Old 10-12-01, 06:35 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a brand new turboed is300....the owner took delivery yesterday......
the car dynoed at 340rwhp@11psi on pump gas....this is a stge 1.5

the car has a haltech...To4e turbo...bigger injectors ..and a head gasket to lower compression..and all the normal goodies a toyomoto kit comes with..MSD DIS4 blow off valve....the customer can get what ever color pipes they want...ect ect...
cost of this kit was 10,500 installed...and the owner is grinning from ear to ear....

ok computer wiz.....with that comment i think sc300t and myself can chime in with an "I TOLD YOU SO" hope your enjoying south fl...and im glad you deciced to go with quality instead of price....it makes a big differance......the toyomoto kits are beautiful....Jeff
Old 10-12-01, 07:11 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well I told ya you'd have the chance to say that.

At least I went with Toyomoto instead of actually GETTING the f-max first! Thank god SupraStore.com sucks and didn't get it ordered in time!

Again much thanks to Jeff and Scott...anyone looking to turbo should listen to them. Well and me too now.

Oh ya Jeff, I'm getting the Supra TT brakes and midpipe from Lance too. I'm gonna call him later and see if the kit will be ready today, you heard anything?

SR
Old 10-12-01, 07:29 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Less than a week you lucky bastard!!! Are you getting the same kit as the IS3 or a different type set up? Does Toyomoto make a kit for the SC4?
Old 10-12-01, 09:05 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Jeff,

Called Danny, he said theres no way it'll be ready today. He said "maybe" next Wed. That kinda blows...especially when they told me Today, and that's one of the main reasons for me to come down here. We're out of here Monday heading to Naples, and we'll be there until Wed. maybe. If they get it ready then I'm driving back over to get it.

Any way you can give 'em a ring and see if you can get a more realistic date out of them? If I don't start working on it by a week from today, I won't be able to put the kit on until we get a house with a garage down here. That would be a pisser...

Ikon,

Yep it's the same kit the IS has, same manifolds and turbo and the such. I CANNOT WAIT to put the kit on...lol

They don't make a kit for the SC4, but if you call him, I'm sure you could spend enough $$ to have him make one...

SR
Old 10-12-01, 06:07 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Jeff,

Whatta ya think about Key Biscayne? We found a couple places out there that were NICE... And the road to get to it would just be awesome to drive across everyday. Seems really close to downtown, although I don't know what the traffic would be like in the morning...

SR
Old 10-13-01, 07:24 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Kewl..

I found a black '95 SC300, and with this economy I plan on driving a hell of a bargain, and that turbocharger kit
Old 10-14-01, 01:16 AM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

this is a brand new turboed is300....the owner took delivery yesterday......
the car dynoed at 340rwhp@11psi on pump gas....this is a stge 1.5

the car has a haltech...To4e turbo...bigger injectors ..and a head gasket to lower compression..and all the normal goodies a toyomoto kit comes with..MSD DIS4 blow off valve....the customer can get what ever color pipes they want...ect ect...
cost of this kit was 10,500 installed...and the owner is grinning from ear to ear....

ok computer wiz.....with that comment i think sc300t and myself can chime in with an "I TOLD YOU SO" hope your enjoying south fl...and im glad you deciced to go with quality instead of price....it makes a big differance......the toyomoto kits are beautiful....Jeff
I realize the new IS's are a bit harder to overcome ecu issue's with the OBDIII (going with the Haltech), but I don't think that warrants a $3000 price hike. I also realize the HKS VPC and GCC might not work with the new Toyota ECM in the n/a I-6 cars.

I pieced together my turbo kit for well under $4000. Install, HG, timingbelt, gauges, gaskets, etc. was right around $4000 as well. The factory ignition is very capable as I've found out with my car--I am still running the factory ignition and wires--that is why I am leaving it stock. The ignition upgrade the only thing the Toyo IS has on my car, and I'm wondering if it has the lower compression head gasket? I just don't see how that could constitute $10,500? That's a lot of money!

We've estimated my car to do right around 500rwhp at 26 psi--considering it smokes the tires to 50 mph, and I've been able to beat bikes, V8's on nitrous..etc. On pump gas, I can run 18psi all day, and I'd guess I'm in the 375-400rwhp area; add a bit of Xylene, and I'm able to run 23-24. With the boost up to 26, I ran leaded 110 but couldn't keep the tires on the pavement. This is all computational...

Once again, "*** math" is worth nothing here, but if my car isn't doing at least 450-480+rwhp on high boost, then strike me dead. The only problem I've run in to is the factory transmission--which is undergoing an extensive overhaul right now.

Not saying that Toyomoto can not perform awesome work, because they've proved it; but that is WAY overpriced IMO. They're pioneers, granted, but I would not even think to pay that much for just a 150-200 hp increase--I'd rather go buy a Honda for that matter.

-c

Last edited by soarer 300; 10-14-01 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-14-01, 06:00 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Cory....i thought you knew better than this but ill be happy to answer your questions....
1- this is not an sc300 with OBD1 technology...its a hell of alot more complicated....
2- the car has a haltech E6K with crank trigger erminated wiring harness ect.
3- car has 550cc injectors...
4- has MSD dis4 <the sc300 stock ignition is very good but the is has a totaly diferent set up and needs an msd with the haltech to control everything precisly>
5- yes the car has a head gasket to lower compression
6- the car had a shift kit installed in the tranny
7-no a VPC and GCC wont work with the multi link ecu of the is300 and gs300
8-you woould buy a what?.....honda?.....you already spent 8k on your kit from my calculaions.......on an older ...easier to work on car...this guy spent 10.500 and your telling me you would rather buy a honda?.....why?...so you can build a 400 FWHP sh-t box that spins tires till the top of 3rd cause its a FWD....i hope your kidding me on this comment?...
-and finally....this 10,500 included EVERYTHING....Turbo kit...powdercoating...BOV...Haltech E6K .... MSD DIS4...550cc injectors....down pipe and heat wrapped.....FULL exahust....piping ...FMIC.....tranny shift kit.....and this was EVERYthing instaled and FULLY tuned by toyomoto.....a VPC/GCC combo takes very minimal tunning...a haltech takes alot but runs alot better.....so tell me...for all of this installed...your telling me its over priced?....340rwhp on 11psi on pump as through a 2 1/2 in exahust...<customer wanted it for noise control>... these cars are dynoing at 165 rwhp stock....toyomto just doubled the rwhp on the car for 10.500 ........if he turned it up to the boost levels you are he would be right with you....he just needs to upgrade his fuel system if he does that...but for now he is thriled with 340 rwhp.....mabye next month he is back for more?....we will see....please dont take this as a flame...but i thought you knew more about these cars...and the honda comment just killed me also its time to get some bigger back tires man.....i dont smoke my 295 35 18s at 50mph....but these BFG tires i got a freakin awsome....Jeff

Last edited by SC300TURBO; 10-14-01 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-14-01, 10:13 AM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Cory....i thought you knew better than this but ill be happy to answer your questions....
1- this is not an sc300 with OBD1 technology...its a hell of alot more complicated....
What makes it THAT more complicated? 1 more O2 sensor, restrictive timing and fuel curve maps? What else?

Obviously I know "better" than something, I'm 20 and have a Turbo Lexus.

2- the car has a haltech E6K with crank trigger erminated wiring harness ect.
3- car has 550cc injectors...
I have 720cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, and an SX FPR.

4- has MSD dis4 <the sc300 stock ignition is very good but the is has a totaly diferent set up and needs an msd with the haltech to control everything precisly>
Please explain? Why? Because the IS300's spark isn't as hot as my car's? No. The IS300 has the same combustability as the SC300. All the IS300 has is restrictive issues with emissions...so this could go both ways...

7-no a VPC and GCC wont work with the multi link ecu of the is300 and gs300
Does the car have a MAF? Yes. Therefore the VPC will work--all the VPC interfaces with is the factory MAF, it has nothing to do with the factory ecm. Now on the GCC, I have no clue.

8-you woould buy a what?.....honda?.....you already spent 8k on your kit from my calculaions.......on an older ...easier to work on car...this guy spent 10.500 and your telling me you would rather buy a honda?.....why?...so you can build a 400 FWHP sh-t box that spins tires till the top of 3rd cause its a FWD....i hope your kidding me on this comment?...
I need a daily driver anyways--see my last comment.

-and finally....this 10,500 included EVERYTHING....Turbo kit...powdercoating...BOV...Haltech E6K .... MSD DIS4...550cc injectors....down pipe and heat wrapped.....FULL exahust....piping ...FMIC.....tranny shift kit.....and this was EVERYthing instaled and FULLY tuned by toyomoto.....a VPC/GCC combo takes very minimal tunning...
Well first, if he turns the boost up, that transmission is gone. I've read a few IS300 owners sheer theirs with a 75 shot and bolt-on's. I have a built transmission too.

Explain to me how a Haltech is that much better than the VPC/GCC comment--It is better but worth how much more? Mine seem to do the job just fine. And I run rich!!! Of course a standalone is great if you have the money...You get the trim module, which lets you adjust gain and response. A full rpm band fuel map, which is awesome...

a haltech takes alot but runs alot better.....so tell me...for all of this installed...your telling me its over priced?....340rwhp on 11psi on pump as through a 2 1/2 in exahust...<customer wanted it for noise control>... these cars are dynoing at 165 rwhp stock....toyomto just doubled the rwhp on the car for 10.500 ........if he turned it up to the boost levels you are he would be right with you....he just needs to upgrade his fuel system if he does that...but for now he is thriled with 340 rwhp.....mabye next month he is back for more?....
The Haltech (correct me if I'm wrong), is a datalogging system that needs at least a laptop computer to run and a very skilled tuner--that Lance is.

we ill see....please dont take this as a flame...but i thought you knew more about these cars...
See my comment about being 20 and owning a turbo SC300

That's why I wrote this because I was not totally queued in with what was going on with the IS300:
"I realize the new IS's are a bit harder to overcome ecu issue's with the OBDIII (going with the Haltech)"

I DID not know he had the HG installed. You mentioned nothing of it so I didn't think it was done. In this case, yes, it makes the $10,500 more worth it.
Old 10-15-01, 04:56 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

id like to know how you spent 4k ...on a turbo..manifold...VPC...GCC....piping....fuel pump....regulator.....720cc injectors.....<id like to know how you have 720s on a lexus ECU with VPC and GCC combo>....down pipe..exahust...ect ect..and did this include your built tranny....

the ignition needs a MSD DIS4 to run correctly with the haltech....factory ignition is good but an MSD is better...i had factory ignition on my car for over a year....i added an MSD 6AL and it helped my car run alot smoother and cleaner up top...so it does help even on the sc300

NO...the VPC GCC will not work on the car...trust me if it did toyomoto would use it for lower stages of the kit....its alot easier to install and tune...but it wont work on the is300...

as for a honda for daily driver...i agree ..i had one till it was stolen....but you were saying for that much money <10,500> that someone should buy a honda and fix it up...not a daily driver

you say you know guys with a 75 shot killing trannys....its because the stock ECU cant compensate for the extra power and faster reving of the motor and tries to shift with factory stlye...and the extra hp wont let it shift...<dont know if im saying it correctly>..but the point is it fries the tranny because of the extra hp on the factory computer....this is why xs engineering had tranny problems in there is300turbo...not because of too much power...but not correct shifting by the ecu at high hp....as for the tranny itself....it can hole 500rwhp....toyomoto had a car on the street for a while like that....then he built the motor and shot nitrous on it and toasted the tranny...but that was close to 700rwhp....and all it had was a shift kit

haltech you control EVERYTHING/.....VPC and GCC you compensating a factory N/A ecu to work with a turbo motor ...and it controls nothing of timing ....i have driven a car with a VPC GCC set up...then driven the same car with a haltech....the driveability of the car was night and day......it made a huge differance......i havea VPC GCC and im going to a haltech....thats how much of a differance it makes...and for cost...a new VPC GCC if you can find it cost 1000 for VPC and 450 for a GCC..<approx>..about the same price as a haltech that controls everything.....and as far as tuning you proved my point about the VPC GCC by saying your car is running rich...with a halted you tune it to your desired air fuel and theres no more running rich...and yes the haltech needs a laptop too tune..thats why the install is done at toyomoto and why tuning is factored into the cost of the kit

as for being 20 and owning a turbo lex...i am happy for you...i got mine at 24 and ill never regret it...now im an old man of 26.....as for the issues of overcomming the is300 ECU..lance is the only one in the country right now who has a high hp is300 that runs and shifts perfect.....ask SP if they know about the difficulties in turboing this car...i heard they had one in the works...and about the head gasket i did mention it in my first post about the hp...and cost of the kit...

"this is a brand new turboed is300....the owner took delivery yesterday......
the car dynoed at 340rwhp@11psi on pump gas....this is a stage 1.5

cost of this kit was 10,500 installed...and the owner is grinning from ear to ear.... "

Jeff
Old 10-15-01, 07:00 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're only making 500rwhp at 26psi?
You must be running a small turbo...

Jeff thats prolly how the price was so low; as for the 720 injectors, I think there's a MKIII chip for 720s and its supposed to work with our cars...

I have priced it myself and I can get everything including a VPC and 550s, SupraTT fuel pump, etc for about $4500... thats with a T60-1 turbo too, not the puny T04E that comes with the Toyomoto and Fmax kits

but yes Toyomoto imo is still way overpriced; damn good quality as i have seen first hand; but the wussy stage 1 sc300 kit is $5500 with a stock sidemount and a little puny T04E (puny compared to a T60 series turbo )

You make a good point though about the VPC+GCC or VPC+S-AFC combo costing the same or more than a full Haltech...

Can the haltech eliminate the dual voltage problem with the fuel pumps?

Oh and to the guy who thinks he's hot **** because he's only 20...
I'M only 20 and you don't see me bragging I own 3 cars, 2 of which run 13second 1/4 mile times... my 300zx i owned with my own money when i was 18... With the techworld as it was and is now, its not a big thing to be young and make decent money... in fact its quite common

Last edited by Bean; 10-15-01 at 07:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Pictures of a toyomoto turbo kit on an is300