SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

WEIRD problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-01, 01:35 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy WEIRD problem...

Last week, I got my stereo system installed. When I left, I noticed the car was idling oddly, but nothing too bad. A little later down the road, she stalled on me without me even realizing. I did notice that it was idling nea 600rpm or so though before it stalled out.

I went back to the shop, and popped the hood. One thing we did notice was that the negative battery cable was severely loose, and we tightened it up. Oddly enough, it seemed to remedy the problem.

As time went on, I noticed that sometimes the car would hesitate upon starting, but not every time.

There is a little more, but I gotta go, dammit, BRB!
Old 10-12-01, 03:20 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: WEIRD problem...

Originally posted by MatT3T4
Last week, I got my stereo system installed. When I left, I noticed the car was idling oddly, but nothing too bad. A little later down the road, she stalled on me without me even realizing. I did notice that it was idling nea 600rpm or so though before it stalled out.

I went back to the shop, and popped the hood. One thing we did notice was that the negative battery cable was severely loose, and we tightened it up. Oddly enough, it seemed to remedy the problem.

As time went on, I noticed that sometimes the car would hesitate upon starting, but not every time.

There is a little more, but I gotta go, dammit, BRB!
Nothing special here. If you don't screw tightly any of the batttery cable then you will encounter problems.
Old 10-13-01, 01:09 AM
methodmf
Pole Position

it sounds like dat the battery is loose nottin too serious. sumthin similar happen to me b4.
the dumb *** that installed my system didn't screw the battery tite enough. positive was touchin metal my car started to spark in the middle of the high way n stalled.
Old 10-13-01, 01:50 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Exclamation There is a little more!

What else is happening?

Lights dimming when you brake?

Sound cutting in and out?

Strange shifts in the 'auto' box?

If this is the case you may have the 'Lexus' electrical ghost

You'll find lots of posts in the forum if you search and some good solutions.
Old 10-13-01, 04:21 PM
hokkayh
Driver School Candidate

Smile

you may want to check that negetive cable, what happens in time is it corrodes like mine did and then the veh. will stall or the lights will flicker when touching the brakes or using the turn signal, the problem lies withen the neg cable you need to replace it, oh yes it costs money but if you want your coup to work and perform like it was new you need to replace it with a factory one. If you all have problems write me and maybe i can help you out.