XSTeknique
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bmw = Yuck
Old 09-01-06, 07:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I see a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about. There are many BMW/Lexus owners here. Baby///m3, myself, and quite a few others in this particular forum itself own both simultaneously.

BMW and Lexus run head to head in the 92-96 timeframe on repairs FYI. I can't stand stupid remarks hating on car brands that deserve props. Everytime you show me a BMW that had a water pump failure, I'll show you a Lexus that had a PS pump failure, then lost the ALT and cost 3 times what the BMW water pump cost. Then show me a Lexus that hit 200k miles, and I'll show you a forum of people running 226k+ on their E36's.

This ignorant brand hating is disappointing to this forum.
Old 09-01-06, 07:52 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

I love my BMW to death, this nicest dail driver you can own. I have 99 sports package 528i with the Msupension and brakes yada yada. Its so quiet and so smooth. Stops and handles fantastically. As the original owner i have kept up with original maitnence and never had a single problem, ever. Very reliable. SC's are my favorite car but to drive one every day versus the BMW, i'll go Bimmer. But my SC is in the garage while the Bimmer sits out side.(unless it snows then both are inside)
Old 09-01-06, 08:27 PM
Chambers
Driver

an s2000 sounds like it'll make your dreams come true.
Old 09-01-06, 08:38 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Break My Wallet I know the Lexus is spendy when it comes to repairs but you see..... you need to repair the BMWs monthly.
Old 09-01-06, 10:09 PM
thatcarguy
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same predicament. I'm trying to decide between a '95 BMW 325 coupe, or keep searching for a stick SC3.
Old 09-02-06, 12:56 AM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I see a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about. There are many BMW/Lexus owners here. Baby///m3, myself, and quite a few others in this particular forum itself own both simultaneously.

BMW and Lexus run head to head in the 92-96 timeframe on repairs FYI. I can't stand stupid remarks hating on car brands that deserve props. Everytime you show me a BMW that had a water pump failure, I'll show you a Lexus that had a PS pump failure, then lost the ALT and cost 3 times what the BMW water pump cost. Then show me a Lexus that hit 200k miles, and I'll show you a forum of people running 226k+ on their E36's.

This ignorant brand hating is disappointing to this forum.
This is said from my person experiance, not Brand labeling/hating. I wish I was fortunate enough to own both, but I'll still stick by my original interpretation.

also, i agree, if you find a car guy that has a 160k BMW, as long as it was taken care of, it can run prjust as long

Last edited by eHIGH; 09-02-06 at 12:57 AM. Reason: adding
Old 09-02-06, 04:31 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

BMW's are nice (my neighbour has a simple E36 318i) and they handle beautifully. The only thing he complains about are the cost of parts that he needs replacing (just superficial things like cracked door trims, accident damage on the front bumper etc) but overall it's a nice car.

With the SC you could overhaul the suspension to get it to handle better so if it's only the handling factor that you're disappointed with I'd suggest getting a suspension kit, swaybars and everything that goes with it for the SC
Old 09-02-06, 05:15 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

there is no difference in the average cost of NEW parts between the brands. BMW is a very reliable, solid brand name that comes at a premium, much like that of Lexus.
BMW forum members are guilty of the same bias that I see here, and I work on them over there too. From what I see, it is only the lack of knowledge about a vehicle, and the need to try and put another one down to make yours seem better to you. I'll admit, the M3 is a nice vehicle, just not the road I want to go down this time.

Maybe sometime in the future when I can afford to have two project cars
Old 09-02-06, 07:30 AM
scsrock
Pole Position

My friend owns a 330Xi. I test-drove his, and really liked it. Reliability issue was from his own comments.
Old 09-02-06, 07:36 AM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

There are exceptions to the rule and I don't doubt that the engineering put into the design and performance of BMWs is top notch, it's just not my cup of tea. To be quite honest, with no offense to anyone on this forum, I think a main reason I don't care much for BMWs (other cars will fall into this category too) is because of the type of people that normally drive them. I rarely, if ever, run into pleasant and kind BMW owners or even people that appreciate their parents' investment. Just my opinion. However, if someone decided to give me a black 6 series, I just might keep it.
Old 09-02-06, 08:00 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

If you're looking for something that can handle and brake like nobodies business, you may want to look into a 318ti; they didn't sell very well, so there aren't a lot of them. I learned to drive a manual on one, and they are a BLAST. Very little power, but they get great gas mileage, sound good (especially for a 4-banger), handle extremely well, and are decently comfortable. They're a little spartan as far as BMW's go, but if that doesn't bother you, you just might like it.

Side note: Although, if you get one, make sure it's the M-Sport package. It has a slightly larger engine (1.9 instead of 1.8, i believe), and basically does everything better. Although the after-market for these cars is not quite as large, it is there, you just gotta look!

My friend that owns one has only had one complaint, and that is the cost of parts, but it sounds like that won't be a problem for you.

Also, maybe me and my friends are just lucky, my lexus has had NO problems whatsoever (even with an irresponsible P.O.), and the few people I know with BMW's haven't had any problems to speak of either.

Personally, I'd mod the SC.

Good luck! I hope you pick what makes you happy!

-Dan
Old 09-02-06, 11:47 AM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chambers
an s2000 sounds like it'll make your dreams come true.
i had an s2000 and it got stolen. it was the second honda of mine to get ripped off and im VERY weary of buying another. i can't take the bs thieves anymore. if i could i'd grab another s2k in a heartbeat but i want to be able to drive it for more then a year.

thanks all for the replies! i drove an e46 325ci and i really enjoyed it. today i'll be in a 98 m3. so far even the 325 was pretty fun to take on roads and turns, we'll see how this other m3 is.

i'd rather not mod the sc as it's in pretty damn good condition for it's age and miles. i will miss the plush ride though!

a 5 series isn't out of the question either, just gotta find one to test drive!
Old 09-02-06, 11:58 AM
604_Coast
Driver

I can offer only a bit of insight. I haven't driven an SC (currently looking for a '99 to bring to Canada) but I have driven a E46 M3 vert for about 6ish hours. Interiors are very nice, this convertible had zero rattles and felt solid from 50 mph to 120 mph. Handling was pretty good, but honestly let me down, I'm assuming the coupe would be much much better. The problem I see with BMW is that you're everywhere. Atleast around here, Vancouver, every poser yuppy has a 3-series in black or silver. That said, theres no way you'll be disappointed with a M3 or SC, they both are top notch cars costing upwards of 75k+ CAD when new.

Good luck
Old 09-08-06, 07:19 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

bmw,s are good (with the 1j that is )my homey has a 530 wagon with a 1 j and he smokes 328,323,330 .if i get one best beleive it will have a some type of j under the hood

Quick Reply: Should i sell my 98 SC3 for a BMW?