SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should i sell my 98 SC3 for a BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 09:12 PM
asdfbunk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having driven both a stock (engine and suspension wise) E36 M3 ('95 with the 3.0L engine), and a stock SC400 (not exactly the SC300, but close enough ) for a few months, I would choose the M3 hands down.

The M3 made the SC feel like a slouch. The M3 was everything I wanted in a car. The M3 had great driver feedback, responsive steering, suspension wasn't harsh at all (95's have a slightly more aggressive suspension setup than the 96+), great handling, lighter than the SC, and more than enough power than I needed on the street. In comparison, the SC felt like a boat (although a very plush one), "laggy" steering, and mediocre handling due to the weight of it. It did have more than enough power than I needed for the street, but the M3 is in a whole different ballpark for when you want to wring the cars out. (Stock for stock, of course.)

The M3 did, however, cost more. (Paid 11k for it 5 years ago. Scored the SC for a hair under 3k a year ago)

It sounds as if you're aware of the maintenance, but I would advise for you to put 1k aside or so to replace the worn out parts. If you can't put 1k aside, put around $100-200 aside to replace the cooling system (waterpump, t-stat housing, etc.) because the stock units are notorious for failing. As long as you do preventative maintenance, the car won't give you any problems.

If you're looking for a car with good handling and some power, get the M3. However, if you're looking for a car with a very plush/smooth ride, keep the SC.

The M3:

The SC(hey, that rhymed! ):
Old 09-08-06, 09:28 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iron Chef
Wow, I'm going to take it that you've never owned one. I've owned an m coupe and currently own a 99 m3. I love both. M coupe a little more just because it was so unique. If you plan on modding, I'd get an e36 m3. So many parts to choose from. And personally, the e46 has no appeal to me whatsoever. You'll fall in love with the handling, I gurantee it especially compared to that sc boat of yours
well just to clear things up when i say m3 it was the first thing to come to mind but all the m's are quite good... really good

the normal 3 series 5's and 7's arent so great... theyre not really performance oriented like the m and the reliablility sucks ***... maybe consumer reports is wrong but if you ever look on bmw's ratings they are all far worse than average...

not only that my roomate has had a 04 7 series, vert m3, and an x3... then only one he like was the m3. the 7 series only had like 30k on it and when he bought it it didnt even leave the shop because that stupid thing in the middle that controls everything in the car failed...

it was at the dealership for 2 months and even those guys coulndt figure it out...

sounds really reliable to me being an 04 with low miles with every electrical problem the car can have.

and i dont know if people like to trade up all the time with bmw's but i never see any bimmer older than like 99 on the road.

while all the hondas and toyos and nissans from 88 are still driving around

my roomate has ownded alot of cars... to this day i count about 30 something cars... he has a s2k now and its the longest one he kept. he had a supercharged s2k before

as far as handling he liked his lotus elise the most

most of the euros are at the bttom of his list... his bimmers and he had an sl500

Last edited by booja; 09-08-06 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-08-06, 11:28 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Older bmw's last forever. i see tons here in fresno, in fact i may be picking up an e30 as a side car for fun/school.

I'm selling the SC, i'll let someone else who can appreciate it have it. I think i settled for an SC because i wanted a supra so bad but couldn't get one. I know a lot of you guys have some really nice looking SC's and love the car, but i just don't have the heart for it anymore. I'm now looking at an M roadster, 3 series coupe or 5 series manual tranny. i'll have some cash set aside for maint, but i don't expect too many problems.
Old 09-09-06, 02:13 AM
19ES250
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that is one thing alot of folks face when it comes to buying a Luxury car, BMW or Lexus or Benz. Personaly I love my SC4, but i also love the way the BMW feels. In the past i have owned a 1991 Lexus ES 250 and i would swear that that car has the Best handling, and Softest ride hands down, it really soaks op the bumps, and in addition to that, It cornered Much Much better than all of the cars i have drivin, which ranges from old beaters to Shelby chargers, to pickups, to Cop cars, to Lexus. You guys can pick on me but I really think that was an awsome ride.
Good for you, I know you will be happy with your decision.