SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Unable to understand diagnostic code for '92 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-01, 10:04 AM
sc300jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to understand diagnostic code for '92 SC300

Yesterday I picked up one of those cheapy diagnostic code "readers" from the local autoparts store. It plugs into the "diagnostic" port underneath the hood. I don't think it does anything more than jumper two connections.

In any event, the instructions ask me to count the number of times the check engine light blinks. My problem is that the check engine light blinks continuously without pausing (with the diagnostic tool in). It's upposed to blink and pause in some sequence.

Does anyone know what this means?

I erased the ECO last night by diconnecting the battery cable. After 80 miles of driving today I'll recheck the diagnostic code again.

-Jon
Old 10-15-01, 11:37 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if SC300 is the same as SC400.
You do need a shop manual for your SC300 to understand the code. For 93 SC400 I jump the TE2 and E1 (Don't remember exactly if it is TE2 and E1 or not I'll check again when I get home tonight) with a paper clip either from the engine bay or under the dash. The overdrive light should be on and the engine check light blinking. Ex. code 34 is three fast blinks stop a few second then 4 fast blinks. If you have many code stored it will blink all the code then go back to the first code...EX code 12 and code 44 one blink stop 2 blink stop 4 blink stop 4 blink stop 1 blink stop 2 blink... get the idea?
The code can be a possibilities of porblem to look for...

For example, I had a O2 sensor problem. the code lead me to test three different test to determine if it was the O2, or the timing chain out of teeth or something else... Even with the factory manual it took me awhile to understand what the hell they want me to test... And you have to go back and forth of the book to trouble shoot the problem. There is no way I can copy the whole book that's why I didn't offered to make copy to anyone. There are so much information for the trouble code that you really need to buy the shop manual. It will pay itself after to trouble shoot the car problem yourself.

At least if you can count the no. of code someone here can tell you what the code mean. Each code in the book is at least 3-5 pages double sides and sometimes tell you to go to certain page...SC300 is diffrent from SC400 so even you tell me the code I may give you the wrong info. to fix

I guess Lexus are too new to have a lot of problems. We are the pioneer for this stuff. Unless some Lexus technitian willing to help out in this forum (I can understand why they don't)
Old 10-15-01, 11:44 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus also have something call two time code...If I understand correctly the first time it won't have the engine check light on the second time the light will be on...each time is the time between the ign. on and off and it has to be running at least so many minutes, rpm...
I am trying to tell you that I am learning how to fix my SC400 from a factory shop manual and I don't have much experience with engine of any kind. I still have a long way to understand what the book say... only read it when the car has problems