SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Seibon Carbon Doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 11:42 AM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As nice as these are I have heard horrible things about seibon. These seem to be a nice item to have on your car, but really is there really any point for these on our PERSONAL cars? I understand if you are a hard-core drifter and you've run out of ways to take off some pounds then fine.

But overall I see this as nothing really useful to any of us (esp. daily drivers). There are many many places on the SC to lose as much weight with that cost. Also, there's the issue of road noise and fitment. There will also be a problem with your own personal safety, like getting hit in an intersection, because CF doesn't just absorb impact and bend CF shatters. And having CF shatter right next to you wouldn't be a good thing.

2,000 a piece is a great price, but it also makes me wonder about the quality of this piece.

Seems like everyone's estatic about this piece as I am too. Just letting people be aware of some issues before they spend money on something maybe they shouldn't have.
Old 09-10-06, 12:35 PM
KOdoubleUR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will call ma-motorsports tomorrow to find out the quality....apparently they have them.
Old 09-10-06, 02:34 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Nice skirts in the background
Old 09-10-06, 03:19 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reamemiya
but really is there really any point for these on our PERSONAL cars?
how about not having to slam your doors to get them to close? or not having to rebild your hinges after 10 years becuase your doors are sagging? that seems like reason enough to get them... if you have the money... i dont, so i wont.
Old 09-10-06, 03:30 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
how about not having to slam your doors to get them to close? or not having to rebild your hinges after 10 years becuase your doors are sagging? that seems like reason enough to get them... if you have the money... i dont, so i wont.
I never have to really slam my door. And really think about it...would CF doors slove this problem? IF anything the heavier doors would make it eaiser to close because of the weight and momentum when swinging the door shut. If you have a lighter door you'd probably have problems getting the door shut. And that definitely isn't enough reason...just invest in a gym it's also good for your health I know i should.

I'm not saying don't get CF doors. Back in the day I was actually looking for some, but the only ones available back then were like 5,000+ per door (don't remember but it was a lot). This is a great option. Guess we'll just have to wait to get some more first hand feedback about the doors.
Old 09-10-06, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Once its high quality, could be worth it. Weight is performance's biggest enemy....
Old 09-10-06, 03:57 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reamemiya
I never have to really slam my door. And really think about it...would CF doors slove this problem? IF anything the heavier doors would make it eaiser to close because of the weight and momentum when swinging the door shut. If you have a lighter door you'd probably have problems getting the door shut. And that definitely isn't enough reason...just invest in a gym it's also good for your health I know i should.
hahaha, im not saying i cant close them, but my girl cant at 4'11 and 100lbs. once then start to sag due to weight, its harder and harder to get them to close. if they were lighter, they wouldnt sag.

I have a hard time accepting that if your stock door pannel is on the door, it would be any worse in an accident. how is shatering carbon fiber going to...
1... get through the door pannel?
2.... hurt any worse than the glass when involved in a side impact collision?

if they are reinforced as the stock doors are, nothing more should happen, accept instead of bent metal, you get a clear view of your doors insides.

i like debates.
Old 09-10-06, 05:25 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by got_trd
I didnt notice that - thanks got_trd
Old 09-10-06, 06:08 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

hahaha, im not saying i cant close them, but my girl cant at 4'11 and 100lbs. once then start to sag due to weight, its harder and harder to get them to close. if they were lighter, they wouldnt sag.

I have a hard time accepting that if your stock door pannel is on the door, it would be any worse in an accident. how is shatering carbon fiber going to...
1... get through the door pannel?
2.... hurt any worse than the glass when involved in a side impact collision?

if they are reinforced as the stock doors are, nothing more should happen, accept instead of bent metal, you get a clear view of your doors insides.

i like debates.
Good I like debates too. I know what you mean about a small girl trying to open the door when on incline, but that has nothing to do with sag and has to do more withthe doors weight. And the sag would come more from the hinges themselves and not the door. So get new hinges.

I'm sure you've taken off your door panels before (they are paper thin). So, when a car hits your from the side I'm sure you'll trust and cardboard like door panel and CF door to save your life. None the less, the CF shatters and so view it as twice or three times the glass and no safety. Unfortunatly I had been hit on the side, the car was totalled, but I'm here now. I only had a couple of cuts and bruises. Would I been so fortunate with CF doors?

Once again i'm not saying these are bad, just more for race application only.

But hey, you may be right.

There really is no arguement or debate. If it fits your application you'll get it and if it doesn't you won't. I'm just trying to let people know since everyone is so one sided about these.
Old 09-10-06, 06:45 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

hahaha, true. but the weight of the doors is what causes them to sag.

once the doors are reinforced as the factory doors are, they would be less apt to shatter or splinter, and would more than likely not penetrate the door pannles.

i really wouldnt get them unless i had nothing else to do... thats a lotta money for what you get... unless your driving Chris Threadgills 1006HP SC and want to get into the 8 seconds in the quarter mile.

regardless... if your ever in Orlando, hit me up and we can discuss it over some beers.
Old 09-10-06, 07:03 PM
KOdoubleUR
Rookie

My car is on its way to being a 25.5 chassis back halfed gutted street/strip car, so these doors should definately benefit me in the weight department.
Old 09-10-06, 07:51 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

hahaha, true. but the weight of the doors is what causes them to sag.

once the doors are reinforced as the factory doors are, they would be less apt to shatter or splinter, and would more than likely not penetrate the door pannles.

i really wouldnt get them unless i had nothing else to do... thats a lotta money for what you get... unless your driving Chris Threadgills 1006HP SC and want to get into the 8 seconds in the quarter mile.

regardless... if your ever in Orlando, hit me up and we can discuss it over some beers.
I wish I were in florida.... hahah I'm in Vegas right now bored and watching Nanny 911...The gf's playing nintendo DS...wtf
Old 09-13-06, 02:09 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

If there are enough people interested (at least 5 for now) I can sign up to become a vendor here on CL and start a gb for these (if I'm allowed to). Probably looking at ~1500 picked up. Not sure if I'll be able to ship these.
Old 09-14-06, 10:26 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by got_trd
can sombody phtoshop this to get rid of the car .why u want cf doors thats the strongest part of the car .if you ever get in an accident its over
Old 09-14-06, 08:30 PM
DHBomber
Driver School Candidate

As far as street use goes... a cf door skin with a layer of kevlar or two sounds safer, cheaper, and easier.

Quick Reply: Seibon Carbon Doors