SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Shaved or Rolled fenders?
Shaved
35.44%
Rolled
64.56%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Shaved or Rolled fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 10:29 AM
Levistey0
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing about it, if you roll your fenders, as much as you would cut them, ie, to have the full flush effect, the fenders will come out lumpy. I plan to dump mines with stretch tires.

I want my fender to stay clean with no bumps where its rolled. ill try to take pics to show you what i mean.
Old 09-16-06, 11:48 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Levistey0
The thing about it, if you roll your fenders, as much as you would cut them, ie, to have the full flush effect, the fenders will come out lumpy. I plan to dump mines with stretch tires.

I want my fender to stay clean with no bumps where its rolled. ill try to take pics to show you what i mean.
i know what you are talking about, but my fenders are flush... and no bumps...

it all had to do with how much care you put into the actual process... there is one dent in my rr lip, but that was there prior to rolling the fenders, and is actually less than original now...

the main reason you see those bumps and stuff when people "roll" fenders is because they do it the ghetto way with a baseball bat, and a mallet... use a professional fender roller and it comes out perfect (so long as you take the time to do so...
Old 09-27-06, 03:00 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cut and grind

Cutting fenders is fairly easy. If you have access to an air saw, you will be able to cut all four in less than 30 min. Of course it will take a little longer as you have to remove the wheels but you do not have to worry about messing up the paint or creasing the fender. Use a grinder to smooth out everything after the cut. And for your enjoyment a 2 yr old pics ha.
Attached Thumbnails Shaved or Rolled fenders?-62500617349.jpg  
Old 09-27-06, 09:18 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

and with shaving fender.... NO CHIPPED PAINT. i have seen some nasty fenders from people that roll their fenders... mine are stilll good. u take ur pick. and i dunno y people say that shaving will make then weaker. they are double layered in the back. and the front isnt. but if anything hits ur fenders. its gonna mess them up anyways. i believe u will get ALOT more clearance if u shave them .
Old 09-27-06, 10:40 AM
lfrers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also if you end up cutting you should coat the exposed metal edge with primer, touchup paint, or undercoating or something to keep the fender from rusting along the bare metal edge where it was cut. I didnt think about that until after I cut mine. No biggie though.
Old 09-30-06, 11:38 AM
Levistey0
Lead Lap

I'm leaning towards cutting mines, but I'd like to roll it if possible, Is there anyone that could explain the process of rolling the fenders with out lumps? slow roll with lots of heat, from a heat gun? anyone?
Old 09-30-06, 12:14 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm leaning towards cutting mines, but I'd like to roll it if possible, Is there anyone that could explain the process of rolling the fenders with out lumps? slow roll with lots of heat, from a heat gun? anyone?
using a fender roller and not a baseball bat.
Old 09-30-06, 01:20 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a hand held propane torch from Sears, and a fender roller, and you heat the fenders evenly with a waving arc motion from one side to the next with the torch.

Rubber mallet the inside of the fender lip so that it is flush with the inside of the fenderwall. Make sure you start at one side of your fender and work evenly and entrely across to the other side, as not to skip any spots.

Heat the fender up again, and now slowly, start rolling. You have to roll in steps, not just one or two passes, but a series of rolls, to roll and pull the fender evenly. It will come out good.

*Tip
1) Put electric tape on the fender crease, to preserve the paint, and avoid burning your clearcoat.

2) Try using a rubber mallet with a soft, and hard side, using the hard side when the fender is still hot and the soft side when it starts to cool.

3) Take your time, it takes about 30min to an hour to roll a fender correctly depending on your experience.

Last edited by emoshun; 09-30-06 at 01:22 PM. Reason: TIPS!
Old 09-30-06, 01:27 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Cut your fenders. The metal is very thick on the rear of the SC.

I used my fender roller and heat gun and went slow. The paint was still cracked and flaked and it was not a smooth roll. Its now been repaired and pulled.
Old 09-30-06, 02:46 PM
*hybrid
Rookie

Rolled in the rear (shaving would be cleaner, but i like the extra metal up inside), wiring harness relocated on the driver front, plastic and bolts shaved for tire clearance.
Old 10-01-06, 09:48 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

That is super low. The front is where I run into problems going that low.

Do your front wheels hit that metal lip in the fender well? I've relocated my harness as well but the metal has to be cut out if I want to go lower.
Old 11-23-06, 07:20 AM
sc300tim5
Rookie

hmm thanks for the advice im plannin on doing this also with a friend who has a fender roller! soon as i get my wheels in!
Old 11-23-06, 07:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AwSyndrome
Ok, so you have a +35 offset? on how wide of a wheel? If that is your offset then you wont rub, or not much. +35 is nothing on an SC. Why shave if you can get away with rolling??..
my theory exactly.... mine are rolled, +35 on a 9.5" wheel... I run a fairly wide tire though (275 bfg's)so, it did rub until I rolled the fenders, now, it's great...
Old 11-23-06, 07:37 AM
sc300tim5
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
my theory exactly.... mine are rolled, +35 on a 9.5" wheel... I run a fairly wide tire though (275 bfg's)so, it did rub until I rolled the fenders, now, it's great...

u give me hope!!! lol i ordered my 18x9.5 +20 yesterday well see how the 245/40s do
Old 11-23-06, 11:24 AM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Originally Posted by sc300tim5
u give me hope!!! lol i ordered my 18x9.5 +20 yesterday well see how the 245/40s do

I have 315's on the rear with very limited rub. Im going to have the fenders rolled and im actually counting on the paint chipping in the inside. Without plastic to protect the fender its just a matter of time b4 a pebble comes up and chips the paint and starts to rust. Im having primer sprayed in the inside and then undercoating which is similiar to Line X.

Quick Reply: Shaved or Rolled fenders?