SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Shaved or Rolled fenders?
Shaved
35.44%
Rolled
64.56%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Shaved or Rolled fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 07:29 PM
antboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shaved or Rolled fenders?

Should I shave or roll my fenders on my 92 sc400 to fit 20s?

I just got it for $2k a while back and it needs a paint job and also intending to buy a body kit (havent decided which one though ) Just want sum input on the fender work and the pros and cons of each option.

BTW my sc400 is a STOCK height with stock brakes.

Thanks guys
Old 09-09-06, 09:37 PM
Levistey0
Lead Lap

I would shave them. i was impressed with how clean it comes out, you could roll it, have the fender lip be stronger, but it would come out lumpy. I'm gonna shave mines.
Old 09-09-06, 09:45 PM
antboy
Driver School Candidate

Exactly how are fenders shaved anyway?
Old 09-10-06, 03:07 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by antboy
Exactly how are fenders shaved anyway?
sand off the fender lip. im shaving mine... air tools
Old 09-10-06, 07:50 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

problem with shaving is how weak the fender becomes.. one thickness of sheetmetal bends pretty easily, but with a rolled fender you have a reinforcing piece of sheetmetal behind it...

I rolled mine and they are perfect...
Old 09-10-06, 10:57 AM
kietlander
Racer

well it does depend on the clearance u need as well.. if ur running weak offsets and dont need that much room then u can pull it off with just rolling a lil. but if ur goin for the true flush look then u need to shave or pull to clear.

this is how my wheels are sitting. i dont think this will fit with just rolling.

Old 09-10-06, 12:35 PM
antboy
Driver School Candidate

Well from my research on the board I figure that a 35mm offset all around is flush, having them flush would be nice but i basically want them to fit and not rub.

Trending Topics

Old 09-10-06, 02:43 PM
kietlander
Racer

it all depends on tires too.
Old 09-10-06, 03:13 PM
Chawk60
Pole Position

Mitsuguy, Can you share some pix of your fenders and car after teasing everyone like that? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-06, 08:50 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coincidence

Funny I just cut my fenders today. I asked everyone in a post a while back on what to do about my fat 295/40/18 tires. They were wide. like the kind of width you see on the 90's corvetts. They rubbed right on the lip of the fender like crazy. The consensus from most was to roll (with a fender roller or with a bat) and one or two to shave. Also it was suggested I get coilovers.

I got some Tain Basics thinking I would be smart and just raise the back up so it wouldn’t rub. Wrong! They rubbed like a ****. The Basics BTW are a bit of a rough ride. I don’t recommend them.

So I’m back to having to roll or shave/grind. I started to try to roll with a bat because I could not get a roller to save my life and was not going to drop $300 to do my fenders. Then I realized that I was going to F up the fenders with a bat. Its two layers of sheet metal that’s bent for strength. I decided to grind/cut. Someone said don’t use a dremel but to use a grinder. I have both and tried both. I started off with a grinder. Dude it will take forever if you are going to try to grind all that crap off plus the fender gets hot; hot enough for the paint to peel off. So I got the dremel and tried to cut the lip off. With the dremel I finished one side and went through like 6 of the cut off disks. But the heat was under control and it looked fine. Started off the other side got halfway through and ran out of cut off disks. I Said screw it and busted out the grinder. Switched on a cutting blade for metal and finished it off. The grinder works grate, much faster, but the metal got so hot so fast the paint started coming off.

So bottom line… cut over roll if you dont want to risk tweaking the fender and use a dremel if you got the patience because you’ll need it. Or have someone spray water as you use the grinder to keep the paint from peeling.

The tires cleared fine afterwards and the fender still felt strong.

Disclaimer: This is just my point of view. If you can get your hands on a fender roller try that too.
There. Everyone happy?

Sorry about the lengthy write up.
Cheers

Last edited by lfrers; 09-10-06 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-10-06, 09:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by lfrers
Funny I just cut my fenders today. I asked everyone in a post a while back on what to do about my fat 295/40/18 tires. They were wide. like the kind of width you see on the 90's corvetts. They rubbed right on the lip of the fender like crazy. The consensus from most was to roll (with a fender roller or with a bat) and one or two to shave. Also it was suggested I get coilovers.

I got some Tain Basics thinking I would be smart and just raise the back up so it wouldn’t rub. Wrong! They rubbed like a ****. The Basics BTW are a bit of a rough ride. I don’t recommend them.

So I’m back to having to roll or shave/grind. I started to try to roll with a bat but realized that I was going to F up the fender. Its two layers of sheet metal that’s bent for strength. I decided to grind/cut. Someone said don’t use a dremel but to use a grinder. I have both and tried both. I started off with a grinder. Dude it will take forever if you are going to try to grind all that crap off plus the fender gets hot; hot enough for the paint to peel off. So I got the dremel and tried to cut the lip off. With the dremel I finished one side and went through like 6 of the cut off disks. But the heat was under control and it looked fine. Started off the other side got halfway through and ran out of cut off disks. I Said screw it and busted out the grinder. Switched on a cutting blade for metal and finished it off. The grinder works grate, much faster, but the metal got so hot so fast the paint started coming off.

So bottom line… cut over roll if you dont want to risk tweaking the fender and use a dremel if you got the patience because you’ll need it. Or have someone spray water as you use the grinder to keep the paint from peeling.

Cheers
keep in mind, this is your point of view... I borrowed a fender roller, and it worked beautifully the first time... I've never used one before... it's all about the art of doing it instead of just trying to punch it out... it takes a little time, but in the end, works beautifully...
Old 09-10-06, 09:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

fyi, rolling the fenders gets you as much room as cutting them...
Old 09-10-06, 09:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Chawk60
Mitsuguy, Can you share some pix of your fenders and car after teasing everyone like that? Thanks in advance.
I don't have just the tire/wheel/fender, but here's some general pics...

the little dent in the right fender was there prior to rolling them, in fact, it was worse...
Old 09-10-06, 10:10 PM
antboy
Driver School Candidate

looks good mitsuguy, im prolly gonna ty to get a quote tomorrow from a local shop and see what each process runs.
Old 09-10-06, 10:14 PM
antboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lfrers

So I’m back to having to roll or shave/grind. I started to try to roll with a bat because I could not get a roller to save my life and was not going to drop $300 to do my fenders. Then I realized that I was going to F up the fenders with a bat. Its two layers of sheet metal that’s bent for strength. I decided to grind/cut. Someone said don’t use a dremel but to use a grinder. I have both and tried both. I started off with a grinder. Dude it will take forever if you are going to try to grind all that crap off plus the fender gets hot; hot enough for the paint to peel off. So I got the dremel and tried to cut the lip off. With the dremel I finished one side and went through like 6 of the cut off disks. But the heat was under control and it looked fine. Started off the other side got halfway through and ran out of cut off disks. I Said screw it and busted out the grinder. Switched on a cutting blade for metal and finished it off. The grinder works grate, much faster, but the metal got so hot so fast the paint started coming off.

Disclaimer: This is just my point of view. If you can get your hands on a fender roller try that too.
There. Everyone happy?

Cheers

Thats a HUGE help, id rather someone with experience do my work anyway. If i tried it myself i know id *** it up.

Quick Reply: Shaved or Rolled fenders?