SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

IS350 seats in the SC400! (INSTALLED!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 04:56 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im thinking of installing cooled seats in my stockers, but who knows if i will ever get to it. this may be a good alternative, but i would have to see more pics myself. ill be waiting for the write up.

btw: do the euro E60s still have the SZL steering angle sensor problem that the US ones have? Im a tech and just curious thats all.
Old 09-18-06, 05:07 PM
Leexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very nice!

Question: How do you get to the rear seats?
Old 09-18-06, 08:00 PM
revlis240
Driver

1) yea my damn SZL JUST broke this week...they say that the retrofit optical sensor isnt even fixing the issue so i may have to have the szl replaced but they wont replace it until they do the optical sensor and it fails. what a pain in the ***. this is why i have 2 cars, the bmw is guarenteed to break

2) i dont get to the back seats, i have a carpc (which makes the car a 3 seater as the computer is behind my seat) and my sc is basically my daily driver, 80% of the time its just me. the rest of the 20% its me and my girl, and 0% of the time do i have more than 2 people (thats what the 550 is for )

3) ill do the write up later

4) ALL functions of the seat are working EXCEPT the heated/cooled function oh the memory not working. im too damn lazy to fix the memory, its nice that the mirrors and steering wheel memory still work...

5) i hope to have the cooled/heated working this week...i think i blew up one of the fans tho..

6) more pics!

Abe

Old 09-18-06, 08:02 PM
revlis240
Driver

this is the carpc incase you were curious

Old 09-18-06, 08:15 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

i know its off topic, but just so you know, we havent had any comebacks from the optical sensors. BMW NA doesnt want to spend the money on new SZLs like they were, so thats why they wont replace it. ill check buletins in the mean time to see about the optical sensors failing. ill let you know if i find anything.

as for the cooling in the seats, are you planning to simply run a power and ground simply bridged off of the harness? or are you getting the signal from another source? sorry for the questions, ill wait for a write up if its too much trouble. i was planning on ordering the leatherseats perferrated covers, then refoaming the seats for more bolster and simply streatching the covers over to fit, or just have some made locally. i was going to use some fans from a 745i since i can get them at work, but this may be the best bang for the buck and less wiring troubles.

they look great though.
Old 09-18-06, 08:20 PM
revlis240
Driver

hey quick bmw question, do all 550s make a relatively loud clanking noise that sounds like marbles in a can (detonation) ONLY when shifting? especially to 3rd, as im letting the clutch out, i get this sound 90% of the time. what gives?

as far as the fans, i accidentally blew one up today i think because it has 4 wires and i couldnt figure out which one was +12v so i experimented and that didnt go well. i have connections at lexus that i will use to investigate. i wont run the heaters/coolers off the seat harness because i dont think the SC harness can handle the load and i dont want to melt wires. so i will fuse a line off of my carpc giant +12v line to be used for the seat functions.

anyone play with a seat fan before? there were 4 wires, 2 thick, 2 thin. colors are red black blue and orange. i connected ground to black (this im sure of) and +12v to red..did nothing and then +12v to blue and i think thats when it blew up..i heard sizzling..

Abe
Old 09-18-06, 08:22 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by revlis240
this is the carpc incase you were curious

Sweet!! Another carputer member You get a lot of glare down there with that Xenarc huh?

Those seats are also silver in color right? The camera phone pix make it look beige...
Old 09-18-06, 08:24 PM
revlis240
Driver

yeah pos phonecam...seats are gray and match the lower carpet almost perfect..

glare isnt THAT bad, but i have thought about recessing the screen a little. have you and solution? i went with the xenarc because i read its better than that lilliput and so far i have so say i have 0 complaints..

Abe
Old 09-18-06, 08:32 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by revlis240
yeah pos phonecam...seats are gray and match the lower carpet almost perfect..

glare isnt THAT bad, but i have thought about recessing the screen a little. have you and solution? i went with the xenarc because i read its better than that lilliput and so far i have so say i have 0 complaints..

Abe
I had it down there and had pretty bad glare, then I recessed the bottom about 1" in that improved it a bit, but then my passengers couldn't see the screen because of the ***** shifter...so I relocated it up as pictured below...

I'm on my 3 or 4th bezel to add a slot load dvd rom in between the screen + climate control...

My whole setup with my xenarc has worked flawlessly for over 2 years now taking it in and out over 20+ times...

Where in CA are you?
Old 09-18-06, 09:28 PM
revlis240
Driver

socal, by magic mountain in valencia...

id love to see some day time pics of that center dash..howd you get around the curve of the climate? is your instrument cluster the "32" from lextech?
Old 09-18-06, 11:07 PM
dinhNER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice those seats look better and better
Old 09-19-06, 02:24 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Excellent work
Old 09-19-06, 02:19 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

it would be great to have some cooled seats. especially on black with the summer heat.
Old 09-19-06, 04:54 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

the 545s and 550s are known to make a little noise when shifting, but it does seem like driving style has an influence. is it sort of a chatter? regardless, i would take it in to be sure. if they tell you its fine, then it probalby is.

as for the seat fans, i would assume that the black is ground, the red is power, and the orange and blue are used to switch from heated to cooled. my guess would be orange for heat and blue for cool. i would think that once the power is switched to one or the other it would signal the seat to either heat or cool, but i really dont know without looking at it. take some pics. have you tried searching for a schematic?(sp??)
Old 10-01-06, 02:32 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

What monitor is that? I have a Lilliput for my CarPC, and yours looks like it would be a lot easier to make appear stock than what I've been working with.

ACleanSC4 - Nice setup, I really like the gauges. I went with a very similar color scheme on my interior... white LED backlight on the gauges with blue waterfall needles, then for the climate control, white display with blue buttons.

Nice work on the seats, very different! I'm going to try to go another route and install seat coolers in Supra seats for my SC.

Quick Reply: IS350 seats in the SC400! (INSTALLED!)