New 1993 Sc400 Owner - General Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 02:40 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 1993 Sc400 Owner - General Questions

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking here and on another SC forum for the past 2 months while entertaining the prospect of buying an SC400. This is not a long time to be sure, but it's been long enough to learn a fair amount about the 300's and 400's. Some things however, I never thought to ask or research before I lucked out this afternoon when I BOUGHT MY SC400 (woohoo! yes, I'm happy).

Here's the thing, this car is AMAZINGLY well kept and I only paid $8249.63 total tax/tag/title from the Mercedez of Tampa dealership for it with 107k original miles. From what I can tell this is a good solid deal - not one in crazy land where an absurdly low price is the cover for trouble lurking just beneath the surface with fangs - but a true solid deal for a 1993 one owner car with a clean car fax and service history papers from day dot to today. (Ft. Meyer's FL owner I believe... an "Aurthur” perhaps). Heck he could be or have been a member here for all I know. EVERYTHING works on the car except the 12Disc changer and two LED's on the top climate control panel (left and center position LEDS). The LCD screen it’s self though is working splendidly without any of that leaking liquid crystal you often see. Besides those two things, every button ****, control lever and motorized part on the whole car inside and out works. Even the paint is SPOTLESS (this was obviously a garaged car that was washed and waxed often) and although I am NOT (and I have to repeat that, NOT) a "Gold Package" car trim guy....All the gold is actualy still gold with no flaking and all that which you normally see on old cars that had gold on them. Someone loved this car - and it drives like a dream.

So why am I really posting here where generally people have nothing much to say if life is great and everything works? Well, the owners manual was not in the glove box so a few really simple questions are in my head. Care to help?

My first question is what octane pump gas should I use? I'm assuming 93 but please let me know. Additionally, how many gallons is the tank and what is the MPG for a 1993 SC400 in CTY/HWY?

Question 2 is, on the center console there is an ECT / PWR toggle switch. When in ECT position there are no lights on the dash display, but when in PWR position an indicator on the dash lights which shows PWR highlights and oddly enough, ECT above that, but not highlighted. Is this how that indicator is supposed to function?

Q 3 is, which of these modes of Transmission operation should I use for city driving, and then which for highway driving. I'm not a hot-rodder but I DO like to get f&$k up and go from stop if in first position at a light in the city or while entering the flow of traffic from the on ramp to the interstate.

Q 4 is, what type of Oil does my car use from the factory, and what type of oil for a well kept but older SC400 V8 motor have others proven to be a good match that I might also turn to.

Q 5 is, how often should this V8 have it's oil changed? 3000 miles or 5/6000 miles? I'm assuming regular oil type rules apply here and if I'm running dino juice 3000 where as synthetic gets the 5/6000 treatment. Is this right?

Q 6 is, What are the Wheel offset and lugnut specs? I'd VERY much like to replace the stock chrome 16's as soon as possible if I can (anyone looking to buy a nicely kept set of stock 1993 chrome wheels with the gold package logos that actually are still gold?)

Q 7 is, for pure laughs becuase I happen to already like my cell phone a lot, but if I wanted to make the phone in the center console work.... just what would be required? There is something commical about the Miami Vice'ness of that phone unit and it could be a laugh from time to time... Then again maybe I'm just being silly smile.gif

Q 8 is, what kind of price should I expect to pay for insurance as a clean drivning history 31 year old white male with Gieco insurance? I know I'll find out in the alloted 72 hours that I have to get the new insurance linked up to this car from my current program - but it's on my mind and it's late so why not ask? One of you just might know right?

Q 9 is, and now I know this wont be covered in any user manual from Toyota/Lexus but, I live in Florida and just dropped a wad of cash on an outright purchase but want to look for a body kit and some other extras. This means I'll be buying used and refurbushing to suit so.... Anyone live in the central Florida area who's looking to offload an old kit on the cheap? Or wheels for that matter? heck, any manner of parts even?

Thanks for taking the time to read my whole hello post here - and I give my sincere thank you in advance to anyone / all of you who have the time to answer some or all of these questions.
Old 10-09-06, 04:26 PM
SCSJ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so many questions, lets see some pictures !
Old 10-09-06, 05:57 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you not have a owners manual???
If not, drive down to the local Lexus dealership and order one.
Almost all of you questions will be answered in there.

Also you can go to www.lexus.com and register as a owner. View all the owners manual info in PDF version online.

In the future...Now make sure this one is embedded into your noodle!!!

I wouldn't ask nine different questions in one post, without using the ever so lovely "Search" feature this forum has provided you. Some sufferers of asking a "non-searched: question, have immediately after shown symptoms of...
1. Pain
2. Agony
3. Burning with urination
4. Red inflamed rash for twelve days
5. Loss of bowel control
6. Discharge
Old 10-09-06, 10:22 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Thanks to both in a way for at least replying.

As my post already stated, the owner’s manual did not come with the car. Only the 40 or so page service manual addendum booklet was in the original leather holder which you place your dealership stamps into with each maintenance visit.

As for using the search function, of course I use it - quite often in fact - and I love it. But remember, I did just buy the car yesterday - so please take into account a certain amount of joy in the new ownership and how it can affect the desire to get answers to some *simple* questions quickly while also getting to know some of you here on the board first hand in the process.

I have now in a way met two of you. SCJC wants to see my new car and know more, and you - who I'll avoid lest my enthusiasm shall lead me to immediately discovering symptoms of:

"1. Pain
2. Agony
3. Burning with urination
4. Red inflamed rash for twelve days
5. Loss of bowel control
6. Discharge"

To reiterate - I know perfectly well how to search. And I prefer it's abilities to provide answers over quick quip comments about its (search) use any day. I know what is commonly accepted as proper message board etiquette and search is certainly to be done before asking "stupid" questions I'll humbly agree. But I'm a 31 year old man who owns and operates a Drum n bass record label who designed his own label web site AND message board (based on PHPBB2) while moderating and administering this same board (and label) so please excuse me if I don’t feel I meet the criteria for "search" chastisement.

I just wanted to get some person to person interaction on - nuff said and I won’t mention this again.

Opps, I've had to come back and edit this because I forgot to provide the photos SCSJ asked for - so here you go:

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-10-06 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-09-06, 10:48 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

It appears you can only place 10 images per post, so here are the others:

Old 10-09-06, 10:50 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

And the last ones:

So, as you can see - a STOCK SC400 that's been very well kept and I hope that certainly treats me well for at least a few years down this new road.
Old 10-10-06, 05:47 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

1. Use 93 or 91 (some states offer 91 as the highest grade). Fork over that extra 2 dollars at the pump each time and use the grade of gas the car was built for. The car has a 20 gallon tank and your gas mileage is really gonna vary based on how you drive it with these cars. You could get anywhere from 15-18mpg CITY, and the highway mileage is probably up around 20 or maybe a little more. Some people have managed 450+ miles on one tank highway only.

2. Yes that is how the switch operates.

3. ECT PWR will help you with earlier downshifts using less throttle input, so for highway driving it is a MUST, it allows you to pass much more easily. As for city driving, it may get annoying with the constant downshifts, but alas I leave it on anyways. I have attained BETTER gas mileage ever since I began constantly leaving ECT PWR on.

4. Car uses 5w-30 I believe from the factory (in FL, you will be fine with this grade since it doesn't get too cold).

5. I would go synthetic if I were you and change it every 5k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

6. Your wheels are 16x7 with a +50 offset. If you are not lowered, you can probably run up to a +35 offset all around without having any kinds of problems (although it will look weird at stock height, lowering is a must ).

7. NO idea.

8. Everybody is different, there is no way any of US can give an insurance quote for YOU. Also depends what kind of coverage, etc. Just go to progressive.com and get a free quote.

9. Check the classifieds here on the forum often, people always selling things.
Old 10-10-06, 07:28 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

To reiterate - I know perfectly well how to search. And I prefer it's abilities to provide answers over quick quip comments about its (search) use any day. I know what is commonly accepted as proper message board etiquette and search is certainly to be done before asking "stupid" questions I'll humbly agree. But I'm a 31 year old man who owns and operates a Drum n bass record label who designed his own label web site AND message board (based on PHPBB2) while moderating and administering this same board (and label) so please excuse me if I don’t feel I meet the criteria for "search" chastisement.
Ahhh 31y.o. man....It was a joke. If I was pissed about it, It would have been short and to the point...saying "search!!!" and nothing else.
And I did answer your questions pointing you to the Lexus website. So you could see your owners manual pdf online. Which is where all your questions would have been answered.
You will find a lot of people joke around on here, have little quips to say. Especially me. Its funny and makes this site better than the rest. Grab your sense of humour and get on board.

It is a nice car (btw)
Search out a DIY on making those seat nets, tighter. Also search BFI, get a Dremel and cut a big *** hole in your intake.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-10-06 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 08:31 AM
SCSJ
Lead Lap

very sweet i love it, how much did you pay for your car? My car had same mileage as you do i bought mine like couple months ago. I'll try to help you answer questions when i have time today if no one helps. i appreciate you putting the pictures up thanks
Old 10-10-06, 09:46 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

neuro4you@ - Understood I won’t mention it again in that previous light. As to the PDF on the Lexus site - "We're sorry, but we don't currently offer online manuals for models prior to 1996." All the same, I've registered, have ordered (currently on backorder) a new set of physical manuals and have been poking around inside the Lexus site under my account for a little while now. But I will be searching about the nets and the intake here on Club Lexus as well just to learn new things, so thank you.

SCSJ - 6995 was the sticker on the car, only unfortunate *fee* was that it was @ a Mercedes dealership so the lot fee was 600 dollars. Add the tax, tag transfer and title and sent me off the lot in the car for a total $8249.63.

NYLexSC - Thank you very much, I think I'll run in PWR mode and see if everything seems right to me. Gas I suspected would be premium and that's just fine with me. As for insurance it ended up being roughly 80 a month with the options I choose. Very respectable I think.

Now, the next major step is to sell the old car and get over the fact that my new Lexus is gold instead of white or black or silver - then start moving toward something more along these lines to embrace my new goldness.

If I can get my new SC to look like this Golden Beast below eventually, I'll be a happy man!

Now I've got the next step to aim for.

Last edited by CLRH2O; 10-10-06 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 10:30 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pickup CLRH!

As Niraj stated earlier, use the highest grade octane you can find. We have debated here ad nauseum with regards to the octane issue. Some still feel the extra few cents per gallon is unnecessary. From personal experience noticed enough of a decrease in MPG that it caused my $ per mile travelled to increase.

I still get between 18-20 mpg in a 92 SC400 with 199,000 on the odo. When I tried the 87 octane my mileage plummeted to 16mpg. A slight decrease in HP is also a side effect of using the lower octane. Not due to the octane rating per se, but due to timing changes made by the computer for anti-knock purposes.

Good luck!!
Old 10-10-06, 11:12 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

That baby's incredibly clean! like mine great pick man
Old 10-10-06, 03:05 PM
chuggernot
Driver School Candidate

thats a nice looking ride. does the radar detector work?
Old 10-10-06, 03:24 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Nice pickup CLRH!

As Niraj stated earlier, use the highest grade octane you can find. We have debated here ad nauseum with regards to the octane issue. Some still feel the extra few cents per gallon is unnecessary. From personal experience noticed enough of a decrease in MPG that it caused my $ per mile travelled to increase.

I still get between 18-20 mpg in a 92 SC400 with 199,000 on the odo. When I tried the 87 octane my mileage plummeted to 16mpg. A slight decrease in HP is also a side effect of using the lower octane. Not due to the octane rating per se, but due to timing changes made by the computer for anti-knock purposes.

Good luck!!
Nice to see you back Mark! That was a nice 4 month hiatus you went on, everything gravy?
Old 10-10-06, 06:44 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Mpg

We get 24/25 MPG consistently on the road with cruise. I have gotten as low as 16 in the city but usually get 18. ALWAYS use 93 octane.

Leave it in ECT PWR. It will slam shift at red line and thats OK but she will gracefully downshift with only a slight bump on the throttle and that is elegant. Floor it and she will find a gear down there that will be just under red line and the games begin with a neck snap.

Your car looks beautiful. Congrats!

John

Quick Reply: New 1993 Sc400 Owner - General Questions